Reload this Page >

Dress codes in churches in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Tanis

I will be travelling with a group of girls to Italy this summer. I know it will be terribly hot in Venice in July and they will probably be wearing tank tops. Should they perhaps have a shawl or pareo to cover their shoulders?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Rex

The prohibition of bare shoulders (men or women) will be the same at any (major) church in Venice as would be found in Rome, Milan, etc.<BR><BR>An ultra lightweight shirt, no matter how gauzy (think "wad it up and stick it in a pocket") can be put on, over the top of a tank top and still meet the spirit AND letter of this "law".<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Rex

Oh - - and remember: knees too - - men and women.<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Ian

Venice and especially St. Marks is unusual in that many churches there are also considered orthodox and as such have strict dress codes.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:25 AM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Susan

Are head coverings (e.g., scarves) needed for women?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:48 PM
no

No<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Patrick

Sort of an interesting story. Four of us (two men and two women) were in Venice wearing shorts (not short ones)and t-shirts or Polo shirts because it was very hot and we had been out to Lido. We hadn't planned on going to the Basilica that day, but found ourselves in St. Mark's Square and realized there was absolutely no line. We saw several people coming out wearing shorts, so we decided we might as well do it then. We walked over. The two of us men were waved right in. Our one female friend, a little on the heavy side was also waved right in, but the other girl -- quite attractive, but actually wearing the longest shorts of us all -- was stopped. "No shorts", they said. So apparently, the moral is: the more attractive you are, the more you have to cover up. We also saw some big hairy men wearing tank tops exiting, but the guards were turning away women with sleeveless blouses.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:31 PM
xxx

Agree w/Patrick. We were at the Vatican in the hot June sun wearing long pants as we were told they've got a strict dress code. We saw them let in people in shorts, however. It occurred in Florence also. People were wearing shorts inside the Duomo. They have an arbitrary way of who they deny.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Tanis

So I guess my 40 year old body will be safe no matter what I wear, but I better cover up the nubile young things I will be chaperoning, right?<BR>Thanks for the information. You have all helped settle a dispute I was having with another chaperone who said there were no restrictions. It would be a shame to be denied access after travelling all that way. I guess an easy solution would be to wear pants with zip off legs and a shawl or something similar.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:48 PM
freecia

Yes, locals wearing shorts seem to get in more than tourist doing the same.<BR>As I was once that age (and only 5 years ago) how about appealing to vanity? Some girls are just going to ignore you no matter WHAT you say.<BR>In fact, I once traveled with a 14 year old girl who had lost her luggage and tried to go to the vatican in shorts and a tank top. No go.<BR>Ask them to pack something "dressy" like capri's, calf length skirt, or etc so they can go out to theatre/church/dressier places. A cardigan can do double duty for late nights and on the plane. Both were popular last year and might already be in their wardrobes. If not, girls love a reason to shop.<BR>As for the other chaperone.... Remember than holding your temper, being nice, and willing to be the brunt of a joke or two gets you a long way in a foreign country. You will find there are many "restrictions" when traveling in Italy, least of which will be dress code. Remember it will be HOT HOT HOT. And of course, people will be speaking Italian. They might pretend not to speak English until they laugh at your bad Italian. They will also get a lot closer in your body space "bubble" than you are used to. They will smoke near you.<BR>All in all, my point is, go prepared with a good attitude. Be accomodating towards everyone. You'll have a great time. It might seem derogatory to say all this, but really, I've found that this advice helped me before I went. You got to get in the right frame of mind

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:51 PM
vicky

the only people they were not letting in on the day we were at S. M. square were w/sleeveless tops. I just got out of line and bought a t-shirt from stand right in front and the guard then let me in with it wrapped around my shoulders.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:07 AM
puzzled

It always irritates me when people boast about how they "got away with" being unsuitably dressed.<BR>Aren't Americans supposed to be the most (Christian)religious nation on earth?<BR>How would you dress to go into one of your own churches? Why show less respect when you are abroad.<BR>The same thing applies to theatres and restaurants. I've been to the theatre in New York and Boston and people were dressed between smart and smart casual, just as they would in London.<BR>I expect that I could have got away with wearing a tank top and torn jeans but why should I want to?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Tanis

Don't assume everyone attends church regularly and don't assume everyone who asks a question is American. I happen to be Canadian and want my girls to show the respect the church deserves. I had been given conflicting information and wanted to be sure they were prepared ahead of time. You should see what some people wear to church!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:05 AM
tom

ttt

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:06 AM
xxxoooo

When churches or large cathedrals in tourist centers started putting souveneir stands inside and selling t-shirts, postcards,etc, plus charging admission to get in, then I think the standards of dress for churches no longer applies. Those churches have tagged themselves as tourist attractions and should admit tourists dressed as tourists.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:11 AM
steve

One of my favorite pictures is of the guard preventing my sister from entering St. Marks.<BR><BR>She was wearing a sleevless dress.<BR><BR>Later in the Vatican, she wore a (hot) sleeved dress. However, since it was above her knees, the nuns wouldn't let her in.<BR><BR>That as 32 years ago, but I would make sure their knees and shoulders are covered.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Tanis

Thanks for all the advice