Dresden or Frankfurt. ?

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:42 PM
Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Dresden or Frankfurt. ?

I will be travelling to Dresden (via Frankfurt, my first trip to Germany) for business for about 4 days late July...and because of busy schedules, I can extend to a maximum of 2 days either to stay in Dresden or in Frankfurt..

I need advise if it is better to stay in Dresden or Frankfurt, and if so,what can I look forward to in terms of learning about German culture and shopping for designer fashion or designer accessories?

I am Chinese by race and I heard from friends that Former East German can be
very unfriendly towards Asian. Is there any truth?, I wish to make my stay as pleasant
and as luxurious as possible and need advise on how to keep a low profile and not to antagonise the locals and to avoid unpleasant experience.

In Frankfurt, I was given a choice of only 2 Hotels by my company (1) Arabella Sheraton Grand or (2) Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof ONLY and need advise as to which is best to take up.

(No choice in Dresden, Any advise appreciated and welcomed..

Regards
Sutjahjo

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 10:11 PM
Linda

If you're paying for your hotel & you have a car, try Gastehaus Hesse--cute place near an old ferry crossing. Our friends in Dresden got us reservations & it was very nice and inexpensive. It is about 5-10 minutes south of downtown on the river.
Since you will be in Dresden for business, you can see it then--very interesting city and nice people. I would use the extra time and go 2 hours north of Dresden to Berlin--an incredible city with so much history and things to see and do. Frankfurt is ok but Berlin is better.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 10:59 PM
Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Thanks very much Linda,

If I stay at Dresden and Frankfurt, my company will pay for hotels and I was allocated the Kempinski Taschenbergpalais (is it a good hotel?)in Dresden.

If I go Berlin, I would have to come out from my pocket for accommodations and air ticket.

I'll think about it, perhaps I will try Berlin for the 2 days anyway.

Thanks again for your helpful message. I would appreciate any further information.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 04:31 AM
kay

Stay at the Kempinski in Dresden, very near everything that is wonderful there. I am sure you will enjoy Dresden, with its beautiful (rebuilt) architecture and wonderful museums and churches. You could do that for a day and do a day trip up to Berlin, although it is huge and you will only get just a taste of it. For designer fashion your best bets are Frankfurt and Berlin. You are lucky to be having this wonderful trip on your corporate expense account. Enjoy!!! It will be fabulous!

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 09:42 AM
Lee

Sutjahjo: I have been to Berlin, but have lived in Frankfurt, so I am partial to the latter.

Berlin is an incredible city. It has culture, history, sights and entertainment. It's also under major construction due to the reunification.

In Frankfurt, you have several things to keep you busy and all close together.

You can stroll the Hauptwache (main shopping district) and visit the beautiful Alte Opera. You can take a stroll just south toward the Romer Platz along the promenade. At the Romer, you will find the exposed timber buildings of the original town square and close by is the lovely St. Bartholomew's cathedral. Spend DM 4.00 and walk up into the steeple for a great view of the river Main, the Romer Platz and the modern skyline in the backround. There is also a modern-day German museum right at the square.

Walking across the bridge (Alte Brucke), you can go into Sachsenhausen and the pub and restaurant district with countless pubs along cobblestone streets in Frankfurt's oldest neighborhood.

Transportation is also very easy to use within the city. Last May, we stayed for two nights at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza which is just south of the river/pub district and across from the Henninger Brewery. It was $138.00 per day inc. breakfast, but a very nice hotel.

Good luck and have fun!

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 05:25 PM
Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Thanks you all...I really couldn't believe the depth of knowledge and the generous sharing of knowledge of members here.

Travelling has always been work for me and there are many places I go which I have no time to see the city, not to mention the outlaying area.

After looking at some messages here, my ignorance is obvious and perhaps it is time for me to reflect the way I live

Thanks again to all and keep those advise coming..

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 09:16 PM
Linda

Sutjahjo, if you go to Berlin, it takes about 2 hours by train and the recent price was from 52-63 dmarks or about $27-$33 US. There are lots of trains. If you like very nice and expensive china, Meissen is very near Dresden. If you go, the Checkpoint Charlie Museum is very interesting. Kurfurstendam Strasse has a little bit of everything. The museums are excellent--including one with an entire ancient ruin. The newly redone Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Unter der Linden, Potsdam, Jewish sector are all very interesting. The people are very nice and seeing the city from the Infobox (near the remaining pieces of the wall) shows just how much a construction zone that part of Berlin is.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 11:10 PM
Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Thanks again Linda.

I have about one week to decide, and it looks like a very tough choice for me

Regards
Sutjahjo