Dresden

Oct 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM
toni

Dresden

Will be traveling to Germany the first 2 weeks of Dec. arriving in Frankfurt. Am trying to work my way over to Prague and thought a stop over in Dresden might be something to do. Will be trying to use the rail as much as possible. Has anyone had experience in this area during winter?
Quick aside - any suggestions for a good,waterproof walking shoe for a woman.

Oct 30th, 2002, 05:23 PM
David

I was in Dresden for a day trip in late February of 1998. I enjoyed it so much I made a return trip in April of 2000 and spent a night there.

There is lots to do in Dresden. The downtown area is very compact and easy to walk around. There's the Opera house which is gorgeous, the cathedral, and the Zwinger museum complex. The Zwinger has an excellent armor museum, a fine art museum, a porcelain musuem, a natural history museum and a scientific instruments museums. All of them are very good.

For something a little on the quirky side I liked the Deutsche Hygiene Museum. It's sort of a sex education kind of musuem that was very interesting.

The Fraukirche is still being remodeled and won't open again until (I believe) 2004. Dresden would make a great stop on the way to Prague.

They had some problems with flooding this summer, but it wasn't as awful as it could have been.

The first time I went it was 'El Nino' and warm and sunny with highs in the mid-sixties. Pretty excellent for a late February. In April of 2000 the weather was more typical. Highs in the 50's and some cloudy days and occasional showers.

Ingo is a poster here and a resident (I think) of Dresden. Hopefully he'll see this and give you more of things to see and do.

Oct 30th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Charles

Dresden is definitely worth a visit. Our first visit there was a year before the Berlin wall came down and we have returned every several years. It is indeed thrilling to see this exquisite city rebuild! Our next visit is to co-incide with the re-opening of the Frauenkiche.

Oct 31st, 2002, 03:18 AM
Ingo

David, you are correct, I am a Dresden resident. You already gave great advice. I just can add some specific thoughts about December.

A stop in Dresden is indeed a good idea, even in December. One of the best Christmas markets in Germany is held on the Altmarkt square. Very good atmosphere, don’t miss to taste the “Dresdner Christstollen” and have a gluehwein. There is also a historical Christmas market held in the “Stallhof” yard, right next to the St. George’s wing of the residence. Unfortunately I don’t know the exact dates, but you might have a look there and see.

The porcelain museum has been reopened recently after a renovation – gorgeous. I am not sure if the picture gallery “old masters” will be reopened until Dec. (flood reasons). But … from Nov. 9th on the Semper Opera will perform again. You should try to get tickets www.semperoper.de , be sure to make reservations in advance. As far as I know they are planning:
12/1 Un ballo in maschera (Verdi)
12/2 and 3 concert (Staatskapelle)
12/8 Zauberflöte (Mozart [magical flute])
12/15 and 19 A Midsummer Night’s Dream (ballet, Mendelssohn Bartholdy)
At least you should join a guided tour through the Opera.
In case you should be interested in music I also recommend to listen to the famous boy’s choir “Kreuzchor”. They perform every Saturday 6 pm in the Kreuzkirche church.

The Frauenkirche is in fact still under reconstruction. Recently they removed the scaffolding from the façade, so you can get an impression of its beauty. You can also join a guided tour through the church.

Not to forget the museums in the Albertinum building: the picture gallery New Masters and the Green Vault – a splendid jewellery collection.

There are so many castles, nice small towns and beautiful scenery around Dresden, just to name a few: palace Pillnitz, castle Moritzburg, fortress Koenigstein. The beautiful old town Meissen has been devastated by the flood, but the castle and cathedral up on the hill were not afflicted. And the porcelain manufacture is definitely worth a visit. For great scenery go south to the Sächsische Schweiz National Park. Bizarre sandstone rock formations, romantic valleys etc.

Regarding trains, right today they announced that the trains between Dresden and Leipzig are running as usual now. So you will not have problems to get around by train.

Feel free to email me directly for further information.

Ingo

PS: You might have problems to find accommodation in Dresden in Dec. ; everybody wants to visit the Christmas market! So better stay a little outside, the public transportation system is very sufficient.

Oct 31st, 2002, 01:26 PM
toni

Thanks so much for replying. I'm sold, I'm going. Can't wait to hit the Christmas market and drag my partner along to the opera (kidding,he'll love it.Thanks again for the great insight. Toni

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:01 PM
go

A must see is the "Grunes Gewolbe", a collection of jewelry. Incredibly detailed work, almost decadent, but very very beautiful.

Aug 11th, 2003, 08:09 AM

To Ingo,
We have a train transfer in Dresden on our way from Prague to Frankfurt.
We only have 8 minutes between trains. The one form Prague arrives on Platform #5 and the one leaving is on Platform #14. Is this enough time with suitcases??
Thanks
Mark
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Mark,

it is enough time if the train from Prague is right in time. But I have doubts. You should know that the railroad in the Elbe river valley south of Dresden is still suffering from last year's flood. Trains must go slower than usual there and I am not sure it is calculated in the schedules.

Let me inquire tomorrow at the railway station. The staff is always helpful and use to tell about experiences with delays. I'll post tomorrow evening.

Ooops, would be helpful if you could post your exact train schedule Prague - Dresden - Frankfurt here. Just for information.

Ingo
Aug 13th, 2003, 07:29 PM

If anyone takes a tour of the Semper Opera I hope it is not as disapointing as mine. The tour guide spent about 45 minutes in three locations explaining the artwork. I could appreciate some mention of it but not to the extent that it became boring. The building is an opera house, not an art museum. Very little was mentioned as to how it functioned as an opera house.
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hi Ingo,
Thanks for the info:
Praha-Holesovice 14.09.03 dep 09:09 EC 174
EuroCity
Please reserve, International supplement, BordRestaurant
Usti nad Labem hl.n. dep 10:22
Decin hl.n. dep 10:52
Schöna(Gr)
Bad Schandau dep 11:23
Dresden Hbf 14.09.03 arr 12:03 5

Dresden Hbf 14.09.03 dep 12:11 14 ICE 1558
InterCityExpress
BordRestaurant
Dresden-Neustadt dep 12:20
Leipzig Hbf dep 13:22
Weimar dep 14:13
Erfurt Hbf dep 14:27
Eisenach dep 14:57
Fulda dep 15:45
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf 14.09.03 arr 16:37 10
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Bad news. The trains between Prague and Dresden are usually late. You will most likely miss your connection to Frankfurt leaving Dresden 12:11. The next train to F. goes 14:11

Sorry, but it is indeed a result of the flood last year and the bad railroad condition/construction works.

Ingo
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Ingo,
Many thanks . We have acted accordingly.
Regards
Mark