Reload this Page >

Downloadable maps?

Search

Downloadable maps?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Kim

Downloadable maps?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a good web-site to download maps of Europe and/or individual countries? I'm not having very good luck trying on my own. <BR> <BR>Many thanks. <BR>Kim.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Danna

Kim, thanks for asking this question. Me Too! I;d like to find line art maps or simple maps I can use with photos or to whow the area view etc. I agree with Kim, help! Thanks <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Alice

Is www.mappy.com the kind of maps you mean?...You can zoom in/out, and enlarge to get a printable map. I am trying to remember if it says it can be downloaded... if not just "copy/paste" the map... Sorry if it doesn't turn out to be useful... <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Rex

Kim, <BR> <BR>There is no single best source. In my opinion, www.mappy.com has jumoed to the top of my list for a highly detailed, CLEAN and uncluttered map of any one city. You can paste the pieces together - - but for a city like Rome, this would take dozens of hours (hundreds?), and result in a file hundreds of megabytes in size (as you might suppose, I say this from the experience at starting in such a project, and realizing its folly). <BR> <BR>www.mapquest.com is also good, as is www.euroshell.com for roads. None of these is an adequate substitute for a good road atlas. <BR> <BR>For educational uses, or (for the rest of us non-teaching, hobby travelers - - for a SCRAPBOOK!) - - the maps at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/M...ope/France.GIF (this is the address for the France map, but you get the idea) is unequalled. A very nice combination of clean and uncluttered, topgraphy and major geography, major cities and highways - - very well balanced. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Danna

Yeah, I need one for my scrapbook? What's the problem?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Rex

Problem? <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Danna

SCRAPBOOK was the only word you capitalized in your prior answer. I assumed this was an accentuation. My reply included references to photos I assume are refering to my scrapbook!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:55 PM
xxx

Uh, could it be the full moon??!!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Mary

This lib.utexas site is one heck of a great resource for more general maps! I just checked it out. Thanks, Rex!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Rex

Mary/mageorgehere: <BR> <BR>There are these few vicious people who cannot understand this - - but your reply is why I come here. <BR> <BR>The Internet is second only to travel in Europe itself. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Kim

Thank you so much Alice and Rex. I've checked out both Mappy and U of TEXAS and between the two, I'm covered. Thanks again. <BR>Kim.