Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Douro - which direction to drive along Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - my husband and I will be traveling to the Douro Valley region this spring and would like to drive along the scenic N-222 to see the vineyards and perhaps stop at a couple. We will likely go as far as the section between Pinhao and Regua which we understand is a must see. However, in the interest of getting back to Porto the same day, we will likely take the highway A4 in one direction. I am trying to understand if it would be better to drive east along the N-222 for the scenery on the way out there, and come back along the A4, or do it in reverse and drive out there on the A4 and return on the N-222? Does it make a big difference in terms of the views? I think the more scenic areas are once you get out towards PInhao so perhaps it does not matter?

thanks in advance!!
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will have the sun front of you either way, as you are going east in the morning and west in the afternoon. If you really want to do n222 I believe you have better views doing it on return, but the real nice section is between Régua and Pinhão, so not sure you will find the rest of N222 worthy. Please note that from Régua to Porto through N222 you need at least 3h - probably more. You will be driving through small villages/cities, so maximum speed is 50km.