Search

Douro Valley accommodations?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Douro Valley accommodations?

Greetings!

After much deliberation, I am making plans for a trip to Porto and the Douro Valley as a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday in November. He is an enormous port fan, so the trip will be centered around port tasting, etc.

We will be spending a few days in Porto, staying at Guest House Douro (Thanks, MFNYC!), and then heading into the Douro Valley to see some port lodges. I need to find accommodations for two nights in the valley, but I'm not sure of the best place to be. We will have a car, so access to off-the-highway spots isn't an issue.

Do you have a favorite place to stay in the Douro Valley? Are there certain towns that make sense? (If it makes any difference, we'll be leaving Porto on a Monday to drive into the valley. We'll need to get back to the Porto airport in time for a 4 pm flight out on Wednesday. Not a heck of a lot of time, but...)

Any recommendations about where to go (or NOT go!) are most welcome. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Most quintas that you will want to visit are between Peso da Regua and Pinhao. Regua is larger than Pinhao (town or large town v. village) and probably has a variety of lodging options; I've never researched it. We have stayed twice at the Quinta de la Rosa just outside of Pinhao. They are more "quaint B&B" than "luxury impeccable service" but the rooms and bathrooms are comfortable, the breakfast is good, and the view from the terrace down to the river is beautiful. They have a few suites that could work for a family; rates are E85-E110 including breakfast. (And they have a pool--have you decided when you are going?) It is a working winery and their tour includes the stomping vats and their storage facility of huge barrels. There is also the Vintage House Hotel right on the river in Pinhao. It has a very nice restaurant and a terrace on the river. There are a few options for dining in Pinhao and even more in Regua, plus with a car you'll be able to check out places in between.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, DangerGirl! I really enjoyed your trip report on this area - sounds like you two had a lot of fun! I'm narrowing down my lodging options, and it was really helpful to know to aim for between Regua and Pinhao.

I'm SO looking forward to the trip. I've decided to ditch the kids and really focus on port. (They can go when they're older.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:21 AM

miamatusow.
lreynolds, who has been just about everywhere in Portugal sent me her trip report of the Douro when she returned. I don't know if she posted it here buy I have her email and I will forward it to you if you wish if you email me.
[email protected]
She has traveled extensively all over Portugal and has some very good ideas.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Has anyone been to Quinta do Passadouro?
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Just a comment. I've been to Porto, but not up the Douro.

As I understand it, the port houses are in Porto, not up the river. Plenty of vineyards and quintas, but not port. I could be wrong, but that's my understand.

If so, it just means you have to concentrate on the port while in Porto! (Which is great fun.)
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

What I've read is that the quintas are where they make port, so you can often see their process and do some tasting. My understanding is that it gets stored in the port houses in Porto.

Do I have all this wrong?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM

According to the tour we had at Sandeman in Porto, the port is made in Porto.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Well, it's really Vila Nova de Gaia, which is the south half of the city, across the river.

Here's one site's description of it:
Vila Nova de Gaia is found across the River Douro from Porto, but it is often treated as part of the city of Porto. This is the port (as in wine) centre of the world and with its characteristic port wine lodges is also one of the most frequently photographed waterfront scenes of Portugal. All the famous port companies display their names in big letters on the terracotta tiled roofs over the lodges evoking many an advert memory. The scene is set off by the traditional barcos rabelos moored at the river s edge. These are the boats that used to transport the port in barrels up the river, but today ferry visitors up the river for scenic tours. There are a multitude of lodge tours you can take that include tastings and explanations on how port wine is made and stored. (http://www.iknow-portugal.co.uk/tour...porto_wine.htm)
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM

So from what I'm reading, the raw wine comes down the river, but I could be wrong. I do know there are lots of great Douro valley wines as well. Some of them make it over the pond, but the Portuguese like to say that their wines aren't well known abroad because they keep all the best ones for themselves. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM

You might be interested to read this recent article from the NY Times, on the Duoro Valley:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/tr...20bruni&st=cse
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I did see that article - thanks! Actually, I tried to find out if the quinta in the Douro Valley had availability and never heard back from them. Harumph.