Dordogne to Lake Como driving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the initial planning stages of a 17 day-trip to the Dordogne area in September. We plan to rent an apartment in Sarlat but we have nothing booked as yet -- not even airfare. DD would like to spend a week or so in the Dordogne and then another week somewhere else and has suggested Lake Como area. While I know it would make more sense to fly open jaw say to Paris and return from Milan, we can get flights from Toronto to Paris return for about $900 which is a very good price and open jaw would be about $1500.

Michelin maps shows the driving time from Sarlat to say Cernobbio is about 9 hours -- that is the fastest route and the scenic route is 16 hours. Has anyone done the 'scenic' route? I am afraid of heights so narrow mountain roads could be an issue. Also it would be nice if we could return a different route and maximize our sightseeing. If we took the fastest route -- any ideas of interesting stops along the way or good places to overnight?

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. I'm still trying to get a handle on the Lake Country area so perhaps Cernobbio would not be the best place to make a home base. We would also like to take the Bernina Express.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM

I think you should stay in France....just travel South and try Languedoc-Roussillon for something different, and end up in Collioure for a gorgeous waterfront experience. Lake Como is lovely...but it is also much more expensive than France, and better done as part of an Italian trip. This is only a 17 day trip. If you had a month, it might be a different story. (Just my opinion -- we've visited the Dordogne and Lot regions twice, and in 2010 spent a month in Roussillon near Perpignan. It makes sense to include that region in the same trip.) This past September we did a month in Italy, ending at Lake Como. It is lovely, but works much better as part of a trip to Italy.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM

If you take the fast route, narrow roads will not be an issue.

From Italy, drive to Geneva and from there to Burgundy and/or the Jura to get back to Paris. That would be a different route than the one taken to get to the Dordogne. Or you could drive to Basel and from there drive west to Paris. Just make sure you get the vignette for the car when driving on limited access roads in Switzerland.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. I thought the same, uhoh_busted, that we should probably stay in France, but I think my husband is looking to do something completely different. He still remembers our stay in Tuscany two years ago where he got tired of hilltowns.....lol.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

From the Michelin map it looks like the scenic route we could take on the return to Paris goes via Basel; however when I checked the details of the route there seems to be many areas identified as being dangerous....perhaps this might not be the best route for someone afraid of heights! Maybe we'll have to stick to the motorways but it's not nearly as interesting!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM

when driving in the mountains you will have to choose between scenic but potentially anxiety creating roads or less scenic but more relaxing roads--for example, either taking the St. Gotthard tunnel or going over the pass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622927438333
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM

Frankly, driving from France into Italy is always a huge hassle, and I say this as a French homeowner for more than 2 decades. It just requires loads of time and patience and isn't something I'd want to do on a "vacation," though I've done it as a part-time resident of France with a lot of time on her hands to get to another country.

Driving from the Dordogne to the Lake Como area is one of the more difficult propositions I've ever seen on this board. Of course, it's do-able, but I wouldn't plan a vacation around it. Split up the trips and do one just to France and one just to the lake district of Italy.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link Michael -- what absolutely stunning scenery.

We drove from Provence to Cinque Terra and Tuscany a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed the drive -- did not find it a huge hassle at all.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM

<i>Driving from the Dordogne to the Lake Como area is one of the more difficult propositions I've ever seen on this board.</i>

Since A89 is now finished, the drive is much easier should one choose not to go via the scenic route. One could even use the Mont-Blanc tunnel between Lyon and Milan.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael - Yes one of the Michelin recommended routes utilizes A89. Any ideas on a good place to stop overnight?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM

Lyon would be a good place in that it offers very good food. But it is a pain to get in and out. Nearby is Perouges, a <i>plus beau village</i> (one of the first) with a couple of B&Bs. There's a larger town at the base of the hill which probably has hotels.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM

Lyon would be a good place in that it offers very good food. But it is a pain to get in and out. Nearby is Perouges, a <i>plus beau village</i> (one of the first) with a couple of B&Bs. There's a larger town at the base of the hill which probably has hotels.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Michael. I'll check out Perouges. Planning and anticipating trips is almost as much fun as the trip itself. Soon we'll be off to Florida for 3 weeks -- looking forward to some much-needed sunshine.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Just topping to ask opinions on Cernobbio as a base for Lake Como. We'd like a town that has a good selection of restaurants and one that is not too quiet. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM

Since you'll have a car, you might want to consider this location:

http://www.ilperlo.com/

We liked it, it has free parking and a wonderful terrace for relaxing at the end of the day.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Sarlat is great but I rented a home in Cenac St Julien about 15 minute drive from Sarlat that was more enjoyable to me as more beautiful vistas and easier access to the many regional attractions, besides Sarlat. I believe the house is listed now on Homeaway.com and belongs to Gabriela Tena. 1st rate location and house..
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Just dont rent a house on the main street of Cenac. We know people who did, having seen the house in the off season. During the summer, it's non-stop traffic.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Have you checked the cost of renting a car in France and dropping it in Italy? Usually there's a hefty surcharge.

Rearlat. We stayed adjacent to the old town and really enjoyed the opportunity to walk to restaurants and have wine with dinner.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. We still haven't booked our flights but we may end up flying in and out of Paris which would eliminate any car rental drop off charges. Although when I checked AutoEurope for picking up a car in Paris and dropping it at Milan it was only about $450US which I thought was quite reasonable. Returning it to Paris was about $350US so not a huge saving.

Michael, Il Perlo looks lovely but I think we'll probably opt for an apartment, although if we change our mind, we'll definitely consider it.

I'm opening to staying somewhere other than Sarlat. Does Cenac Saint Julien have a good variety of restaurants within walking distance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -