Dordogne River Valley

Jan 12th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Alice

Dordogne River Valley

We are planning a trip to this region of France in the middle of July. We will be renting a car and starting our trip in Souillac and finishing in Bordeaux. Any suggestions on sites or lodging? Thanks in advance!

Jan 12th, 1999, 05:07 PM
Al

We made a circuit similar to yours a few years back. Have you ever used the Michelin Green Guides? They have helped us a lot in planning and carrying out trips in Europe. Of course, their Red Book of France is the "Bible" for looking up places to stay and finding where to eat. Indispensible. Splendid maps of towns. Head southeast from Soillac toward Figeac, Rodez, Millau, Albi (great museum of Toulouse-Lautrec art there), Castres, Carcassonne, nw to Toulouse, Agen, Bordeaux. Any number of alternatives. If it were mine to do, I would avoid the high-speed roads and stick to the back roads, small towns, etc. Lots of great places listed in Michelin. Another thing. The French have caught on (finally!) to B&B. In each town you find a syndicat d'initiatif, something like a chamber of commerce. They can point out all sorts of farmhouses, manor houses, quasi-palaces that take in guests. We found these contacts to be gold mines and great fun. A little high-school French goes a long way, too. Smile and and !!!

Jan 12th, 1999, 07:00 PM
aliceb

thanks very much!!

Jan 12th, 1999, 11:27 PM
Jan

The Dordogne is a wonderful area of France, I agree with Al about the Michelin Green guides they are invaluable.As for lodging may I suggest you look at the Logis de France site on the web? I have been to France many many times and have stayed in lots of Logis and have never been in a bad one yet. They are, on the whole, independent hotels that are members of and are graded by Logis de France, and they range from simple places to more luxurious hotels. Their site is www.logis-de-france.fr .Other places you might like to consider visiting, time permitting are Sarlat, rather touristy these days but worth a look for the wonderful old buildings and the Saturday market. Bergerac another market town with a nice "old quarter", Domme, spectacular views of the river from here, and further south Cahors on the river Lot, another lovely river valley. If you are in France for July 14th. don't forget that that is Bastille day and most towns will have some sort of celebration to mark the event, processions, fireworks dances etc.Hope you have a wonderful time

Jan 13th, 1999, 10:41 AM
alice

thank you so much.

Search this Thread