Reload this Page >

Dordogne/Lot in summer

Search

Dordogne/Lot in summer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Paule

Dordogne/Lot in summer

I'm beginning my planning for a trip in July 2003; as an inveterate planner, I love to have as much planned as early as possible. My husband and I will be going to Paris and ending in Barcelona (and celebrating a significant birthday of mine!); I want to spend about 4 or 5 days in Paris, and 4 in Barcelona. I'd like to visit the Dordogne/Lot region (about 5 nights, I think), stop in Carcassonne, and continue to Barclona by car.<BR><BR>In the Dordogne & Lot region, where would you recommend staying in order to avoid the tourist crush yet still remain central to visiting the sights (ie, caves, small towns). I'd love to visit the region, but can only go in the summer due to work schedules; but I'd like to find a place that's accessible without being overrun with tourists. Is it possible? Or does it get too crowded to enjoy at all at that time of year?<BR>Thanks for your feedback; I'm just beginning to think about it.<BR>Paule<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:24 AM
StCirq

July is certainly crowded in the Dordogne, just a bit less so in the Lot, but you can still plan a trip that won't make you feel as though you're been swept along in a monsoon of tourists. There are plenty of accommodations in the countryside outside the main tourist spots. In fact, one of the charms of visiting these areas is staying in an inn or B&B on a quiet hillside far from the crowds.<BR><BR>If you have five days and want to see both the Dordogne and Lot regions, I'd split up my time so as to spend 3 nights in the vicinity of Sarlat and 2 nights in the vicinity of Cahors. If you tell me what your budget for accommodations is, I'd be happy to recommend accommodations and give you tips on avoiding the masses. Crowding is also relative - it's not as though the Dordogne in July resembles, say, the C&ocirc;te d'Azur.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Paule

Thanks, St. Cirq; your suggestions are most welcome!<BR>I'd like to keep my budget to under $100/night, though if a place is special, I'll go a little above that. And I'd love to spend less. But it sounds like a/c will be a good idea, so comfort will win there. I don't need posh, just comfortable. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Wayne

I'm not sure you'll find a hotel with A/C at the rate you want to pay; but there aren't too many times when the temperature is so warm in the evening that it's uncomfortable. And the evening is probably the only time you'll want to be in your hotel, because there are so many interesting things to see and do. The advice you've already received is good, but I would offer a different suggestion on where to stay. I would certainly visit Sarlat, Domme, Brantome, Limeuil, Tremolat, St. Cirq-Lapopie, Beynac, Cahors, Bergerac, and many other villages; but the advice to stay outside villages is probably the way to go unless you want to stay in a less-touristy place. So what I'll suggest are a few less-touristy villages that have a lot of charm and some neat hotels to stay in.<BR>-Vitrac: La Treille, right on the river, phone 0553-28-3335.<BR>-Belves: Le Belvedere, in center of town, phone 0553-31-5141.<BR>-Sudallisant: about 2 miles outside Sarlat on the way toward Souillac, hotel La Mas de Castel, phone 0553-59-0259. <BR>-Payrac: Hostellerie de la Paix, phone 0565-37-9515.<BR>-Goujounac: Hostellerie de Goujounac, phone 0565-36-6867.<BR><BR>These are among the lesser-touristed, yet very charming villages, of which there are many, and some inexpensive inns in each. I'm sorry, I don't know if any or all of these have e-mail, but the advantage of planning early is that you can call, write letters, or search around to contact them. I know you'll enjoy your vacation. I am planning a trip to the Lot/Dordogne myself for June of 2003, and am just beginning to consider where to go.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Paule

Thanks for your suggestions, Wayne. If the evenings are tolerable without a/c, then I can survive. Are these hotels listed on the web, ie, Logis de France? They sound interesting, but would love to see or read about them. I think your idea to stay outside of the villages is a good one. I'm happy with a less-touristy village, as long as its accessible to the places that are also interesting to visit.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM
StCirq

Paule:<BR><BR>Outside Sarlat you might try:<BR><BR>Hostellerie de Meysset<BR>La Metairie Haute<BR>Hotel de Plaisance<BR>La Treille (as mentioned already)<BR><BR>Near Le Bugue you might try:<BR><BR>Domaine de la Barde<BR>Auberge du Noyer<BR><BR>In St-Alv&egrave;re: Le Moulin Neuf<BR><BR>Near Montignac try:<BR><BR>La Table du Terroir in St-Chapelle-Aubareil<BR>La Licorne in Valojoulx<BR><BR>In Belv&egrave;s: Le Branchat<BR><BR>Near Cahors:<BR><BR>Flaynac<BR><BR>In Cahors: H&ocirc;tel Terminus (even if you don't stay there, be sure to eat there!)<BR><BR>These are all small inns and B&Bs where you can get a room for considerably under $100 a night. Not many will have A/C, but those stone houses stay pretty cool during the day, and the heat is usually too terrible until August. Most of these places are on the web, but if you need further information, let me know. The places you probably don't want to stay in (but definitely should visit) are Sarlat, Domme, Beynac, and La Roque-Gageac.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
envy

My absolute favourite place in the world - the Dordogne. If I were you I would check the phone numbers and either phone the Sarlat tourist information or the one in Perigeaux itself, Both have people who speak excellant English and they can make a booking for you. You may even just ask if they have an email address. The reason I suggest this is that there are so many wonderful Gite's about ( holiday houses) but you may only be able to get those for one week and not less. Also there are Farm Stays, B&B's and very small hotels that are just devine. <BR>Sarlat is usually busy but there are so many wonderful little villages around there that wherever you are it is lovely. Brantome, St Joan de Cole, Rocamadour, Martell, Domme ( my favourite being the wonderful hotel which overlooks the valley) Beynac. Perhaps try for a trogolodite place in Rocamadour - then all the places in between. <BR>I have used the tourist information centres and they have been wonderful. Give them a try and also search Perigord on the Internet and see what you can get for yourself first. <BR>Have a wonderful time and think of me!<BR>Liz<BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Gail

I'm also interested in this area as I am starting a tour in Bordeaux in the fall, but will have 2 days free to explore the area. Any books, more about the history of the area, you could recommend. Would anyone happen to know if I should expect all 2 lane roads or are some 4 lane. Thanks!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:53 PM
paule

So many great suggestions, so many places to stay! I've started checking the places listed, and they look good. A few seem "not available" (La Treille, for example) when I try to call them up, but there are plenty of choices. I will research for a while (much fun!) because I have a while before I have to make a reservation. <BR>I appreciate the ideas; staying near the main "hotspots" but not in them seems smart. And very manageable, too.<BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Ron

I heard about a charming village called Aubeterre sur Dronne. Is this a worthwhile visit?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:34 PM
topper

topping

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:06 AM
envy

I don't know that little village one of the posters talked about, suffice it to say though that 98% of them are all lovely and so close together that it doesn't matter really where you are because you are not far from anything. <BR>It is mostly 2 lanes and they are secondary roads too with little traffic. Take the time to see the larger towns as they are interesting as well. The countryside, the wine, the food, the very friendly helpful people and the sites make this area one of the best places in the world. If you go to Carcassonne be sure to pay to stay in the walled village itself, it is just so romantic. Cannot wait to return.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:46 AM
StCirq

Aubeterre-sur-Dronne may be a charming village (it features a monolithic church), but it's in the Charente, not the Dordogne. I've never been there.<BR><BR>To the poster who asked about books, there is a Michelin Green Guide, two Cadogan books (both very good IMO), Joy Pallas's (I hope I have that right) book, "Dordogne," and several books by Richard Bentley on fortified towns, food, etc. There is also the book "Most Beautiful Villages of France," which of course features lots of Dordogne villages. There are loads of other books printed in the UK, which you might find on a search of Amazon UK.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:48 PM
Paule

Thanks for all your suggestions; I have a few more itinerary questions now.<BR>After reviewing all the ideas, I've pretty much come up with 3 separate trip sections:<BR>1) stay near Sarlat, and see the caves, and the many highlights of the region<BR>2) Rocamadour (probably, but after the crowds leave) and the Gouffre de Padirac<BR>3) Cahors to Figeac, along the Lot<BR><BR>My dilemma: where to stay for parts 2 & 3? In other words, is there ONE location to stay in to see the areas around Rocamadour and Cahors to Figeac?<BR><BR> I think 3 nights near Sarlat will allow me enough time to visit the highlights of that area, but I'd prefer to base myself in one place from which I can see the other above-mentioned regions. Rocamadour & Padirac seem too far to easily make it a day trip, but then if we stay nearby, the trip between Cahors and Figeac seems a bit too far. I'm really taken by the Domaine de la Rhue, and that seems like it would be worth staying in.<BR><BR>One thing to know: we'll probably then stay in Carcassonne for the 1 night after our visit to the Dordogne/Lot; I dont mind a few nights doing one night stays, but I would rather not do too many of them.<BR><BR>Feedback/suggestions/advice most welcome! It's been great so far!<BR>thanks,<BR>Paule

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:26 PM
liz

I think from memory that Rocamadour is less than one hour drive from Sarlat and for what its worth I have been to Sarlat for 10 days and then back again to Domme for 7 days and still there is plenty to see throughout that area. Carcassone is away by itself and you really have to stay around there. To give you some idea of the Perigord area - there are 1,000 sites/Castles/caves/Chateaus/villages of note in an area that is about the size of Nappa Valley. <BR>Why not try one of the lovely little B&Bs or farmstays while you are somewhere as they are such fun and can be also very rewarding.<BR>Anyway the way I look at it is: <BR>Anytime in the Dorgogne is better than no time at all. So whatever time you have I am sure you will enjoy and it will mean that you know what to see next time you visit. <BR>Viva la France!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
StCirq

The Domaine de la Rhue is DEFINITELY worth a stay - a MARVELOUS place! Stay there!<BR><BR>Rocamadour is NOT a one-hour drive from Sarlat, as Liz suggested, but rather at least two. Look at the map!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:36 AM
Paule

Can one stay at the Domaine de la Rhue and visit Cahors to Figeac? Or is that too far for one day?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:24 PM

ttt

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:00 PM
liz

StCiq, I don't want to split straws with you but Sarlat to Rocamadour is 28 miles, now I know that these are not highway roads but they are good roads and I sure was able to do it in less than an hour. So going at the speed limit you should be able to get from Rocamadour to Sarlat in less than one hour and do it probably on a push bike due to the distance too.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:35 AM
rita

Sorry Liz, but I would have to agree with StCirq. I was in the Dordogne last summer and I drove from Rocamadour to Sarlat about three times. While I cannot remember the distance I do remember the driving time was WELL over an hour (closer to two).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -