Dordogne Lodging Help

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Mary Amm

Dordogne Lodging Help

Hi
In the early stages of planning for a trip to France next year. Want to spend at least three nights in either Beynac or La Roque Gegeac. Any input? We are looking at the Hotel Bonnet or La Belle Etoile respectively.
Thanks for any help
Regards, Mary Ann

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Wayne

Mary---you didn't say what level of hotel you prefer, or what amenities you consider necessary. However, both the Bonnet and La Belle Etoile are considered two star, so if you want to know about them, that's a start. They are both considered to be "modest" hotels. You might consider Hostellerie Maleville-Pontet in Beynac, right on the river. Or in LR-G, you could consider the Gardette. These are also considered to be 2-star hotels. Both towns will be pretty heavily touristed during July and August; not so bad in May-June or Sept-Oct. The little village of Vezac is also lovely and less touristy, only a couple of miles from LR-G. In Vezac a nice 2 star hotel is the Le Relais des Cinq Chateaux, so named because of the view of 5 different chateaux from there.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:20 PM
rita

Mary,

I stayed at La Belle Etoile last summer. It was a delightful hotel run by a friendly french family and I would certainly recommend it.

Some of the rooms on the front side of the hotel have been rennovated and are very nice. I was in an unrennovated room looking out onto the mountain side and it was still nice. The restaurant is very good as well (the son is the chef).

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:23 PM
topper

topping

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:31 AM
AA

Mary,
La Belle Etoile is lovely tiny place. It is on the main road of La Roque Gegeac. We had a renovated room with a window facing the road and to the river! It was a little noisy ibn the morning when the window is open. This hotel, like many others in the area belongs to "Logis de France". We stayed in many hotels from the Logis list. All but one were great! They are rated by chimniesne, two or three chimnies. It didn't make a difference. All were great. All were very inexpensive. All had marvelous restaurants. The one in Etoile was absolutely marvelous.
You really don't have to pay more in the Dordogne!
You can find the Logis the France on the net.
AA

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:12 PM
trav

I agree with AA about the Logi hotels. We spent 24 nights in France in June 2000, 20 of them in 12 Logis hotels. All were clean and served good food and they were inexpensive. For the small difference in price tho, I would go for the three chimney as opposed to the two.
Our favorite was Hotel Chabrol in Brantome.
The fun thing is planning your trip at the Logis website and selecting your town and hotel. Enjoy!!