Dordogne in Early July?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
sap
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dordogne in Early July?

(No that this July. . . next one.)

Calling all Fodorite Dordogne Experts (St Cirq, Carlux, Stu, Lexma, you know who I'm talking about): I want to confirm something re: timing. I have been seriously thinking about moving our Summer 2011 trip one week later to better coincide with the lavender, sunflowers, et al. in Provence so that the Provencal portion falls on June 21-28.

This then puts us in the Dordogne from June 29th through July 9th. I'm concerned about how much difference that might make in crowds at sites in the Dordogne. Is it still reasonably pleasant until the 2nd week in July, or am I running a greater risk of having to elbow my way through the masses? I believe Stu did mention at one point that it probably wouldn't be an issue until mid-July, but I just want to confirm that with everyone. (Right, like you can guarantee for me that there won't be crowds. . .)

I know to some people, it sounds crazy to plan this far ahead, but believe it or not it's not just because I'm a control freak. We are actually beginning to run into scheduling conflicts in our business that we need to work around and this has to be solidified soon. (We run a branch of a law firm and the courts are setting trials for the summer of 2011 now! DH casually mentioned at dinner tonight that we have a trial set for the 2nd week of July 2011 and wondered if it would be okay since he knew I was planning a trip. Needless to say, I was alarmed enough to think it was time to pin this baby down to the exact day.)

Thanks for your thoughts. I just want to block out our work calendar once and for all and make that commitment. DH is a a workaholic and I need to put big red barriers and flags around our precious vacation time ASAP.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
sap
Original Poster

Hell-o-o-o? I spell-check every line in the dang post except the first one? It should read: "No, not this July. . . the next one." (Sorry, couldn't let that go. I told you I was flustered.)
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Hi, sap, you obviously are actually a control freak based on many previous posts, and I applaud you for that with respect to vacation planning, so no love lost. And I am one too, so go figure....

On July 1 of most years the Dordogne becomes utterly overrun with tourists. The supermarkets are quagmires of unruly Dutch children, the outdoor markets become shoulder-to-shoulder experiences, the river looks like a parking lot of boats and people swimming. As a denizen of the area I can tell you that you cannot believe the difference between "life as we know it" during most of the year and life in June, July, an August.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
sap
Original Poster

Wait. . ."no love lost" means that you don't love me??

Seriously, though, no amount of heavenly lavender could be a trade-off for "quagmires of unruly Dutch children" (which I recall reading about in one of your fab trip reports). I've raised a veritable Brady's Bunch myself and I could do with a lot less of that these days.

Thanks for your quick input. I suspected as much and knew I should double-check. I'll push it all back a week to end by the July 4th weekend and hope it makes a difference. I imagine the tourist throngs are more seasonably reliable than the native flora & fauna anyway. I suppose I could switch Provence & Dordogne, but I've created such a nice, neat little package that I'd rather spend the next several months refining it rather than shaking it to pieces and putting it back together again.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Hi sap,
I know how you feel. I wanted to go to Provence when the lavender bloomed but we ended up going in May a couple of years back. The poppies were beautiful when we were there and we did see a few "buds" on the lavender. I LOVED that trip. I did write a trip report about that and if you want to read it click on my name and go back to july 2007. I must say that Stu really helped a lot with that planning as did others. Isn't this site great? Hope you have fun planning.
Happy travels!
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM

A confirmation that the Dordogne is VERY busy, mostly from mid July to mid August, which is typically the French holiday season. But by July 9 it will certainly be gearing up.

I'm not an expert on the sunflowers and lavender in Provence, but you might also want to think about the effect weather could have on your plans. This year a lot of France has had a long winter, and here in the Dordogne most of the plants are flowering later than usual. A warm winter/spring would mean they come out earlier than whatever is 'usual.' So I wouldn't expect a guarantee that what you want to see will be out exactly on time, despite all your planning.