Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dordogne car rental logistics..pick-up return locations?

Jul 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Trying to complete a few details for my trip in October, I am thinking of this plan: We will be arriving in the Dordogne by train from Spain, and departing by train to Paris at the end of our week in Domme. From all of the generous advice I have gleaned here, I think it would be good to pick up our car in Perigeaux, which we can reach by train from San Sebastian via change in Bordeaux. After our week in Domme, it seems that Brive is the best place to drop off the car. The train Brive-Paris is direct. If we return the car to Perigeaux, we have to change trains in Bordeaux..(might be less convenient since I expect to be lugging bags filled with all manner of edbile and non- goodies).

So: Pickup car in Perigeaux. Drive to Domme. Return car in Brive. Take direct train to Paris. Non? (Michelin tells me that the drives from Domme-Perigeaux and Domme-Brive take about the same length of time...) Does this seem like a good plan??
Many, many thanks to all of you Dordogne experts who have been such a tremndous help in planning this trip.
Jul 16th, 2006, 07:26 AM
ira

Hi ek,

You can save some train time by going to Libourne and picking up the car there.

AutoEurope uses the Europcar people. Their office is across the street from the station.

Libourne to Domme is about 1/2 hr longer than from PerigUEUX. We have driven this road, and it is not unpleasant.

You can stop at St. Emilion on the way.

Jul 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM

When booking through AutoEurope, I use their toll free number, not the web site. The reps are very knowledgable.
Jul 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Definitely a good idea to take the train from Brive. MOst of the car rental agencies are right in front of the station. Normally there is no extra charge for pick up and leaving from two different locations.

I havent done the train journey from San Sebastian, but suspect that Ira's idea to stay on the train to Libourne is a good one. Much easier than having to change to get to Perigueux, and probably faster in the long run.

But a week's not enough in the Dordogne!
Jul 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM

We are going to take the train to Brive from Paris. What are the car companies in front of the station? I had checked the websites of Hertz, Eurocar and Avis and they have limited car categories available...only economy and compact. We are a group of 4, and we would require at least a standard size with a trunk large enough to acommodate our luggage or a station wagon type. Any other car rental agencies right there?

Thanks for any help.
Jul 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Avis and Europcar are on rue Jean Jaures, just by the station. National Citer is about a block away. For some reason Hertz no longer has an office there.

You can find more information (in French)on the French yellow pages site http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi. Just enter 'Location d'automobiles', under 'Quoi' and 'Brive la Gaillarde' under 'Ou'.
There are about 25 entries, but many are for small agencies.

Most entries will give you a Mappy map if you click 'Plan.' Or an aerial view if you click 'Vue aerienne.'
Jul 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM

On pagesjaunes you can make your entries in english:

http://wfd.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en
Jul 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

I will look into a pickup in Libourne. since I need an automatic, this may influence where I pickup. No interest in St. Emilion, Ira, since we spent some time year about three years back. If the road from Libourne is the same one as that from Bordeaux through Bergerac, I will stay off it; I thought that road was really awful last time. Since I am not at home, I do not have my maps handy. The main thing is that the return will work from Brive to Paris, cause we will be 6 people traveling together and hauling lots of stuff..makes more sense to get a direct train for that leg of the trip.

Let me understand....is the train that comes up from the border likely to stop at Libourne? Many thanks...as I said, I am not at home and using library computer so am writing fast without research stuff nearby. thanks again!
Jul 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Hi! I'm planning an October trip which will include a week in the Dordogne, but I have to pick up a study-abroad college junior in Nantes on the way. There will be four of us travelling. We were planning to rent a car in Nantes and drive down, then return the car in Brive and take the train to Paris. (The college kid will have to get back to Nantes on his own!) I'm wondering if this plan makes sense, or if it would be better to train from Nantes to somewhere closer to the Dordogne, and rent the car there. I haven't yet looked into the easiest places to get to by train from Nantes. Any recommendations?
Jul 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM

You can also pick up a car in the Bordeaux train station and drive to Sarlat-Domme in about two hours using the autoroute. Go to the end, which is just west of Le Lardin St. Lazare. From Le Lardin (the first traffic light after getting off the autoroute), go south on D 704 to Sarlat and take D 57 and then D46 toward La Roque-Gageac and Domme.
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:21 AM

Or you can leave the A89 autoroute earlier, which we find is a somewhat more direct route to Sarlat and beyond.
Follow A89 around east of Perigueux, and on the east side of Perigueux,
Take the D710 marked to Sarlat/Les Eyzies
In about 15 km, just after La Douze, the road will split -
Take the left, D45/47 into Les Eyzies.
Follow D47 through Les Eyzies into Sarlat, where it joins D704
COntinue through Sarlat, and on to Domme, etc.

A reminder not to worry too much about road numbers, which are not always given on signs. Mainly you should look for the town you are heading for - or one along the way. Thus the road will be marked 'Sarlat' and then 'Domme'. (I actually just had to look at the map to find out where the D57 is, and I've lived here for 12 years. Never heard anyone referring to any of these roads by their number!)
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi IM,

It's 5:30 hr by car from Nantes to Sarlat.

Unfortunately, it's 4:00 hr from Nantes to Bordeaux by train and another 2-2:30 hr to Sarlat by car.

Check train schedules at www.voyages-sncf.com

I think that driving from Nantes will be your best choice.