Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would be your most romantic 10 day trip to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eleven years after starting medical school, my husband is finishing his fellowship in June!!! We are planning a 10 day trip to Europe and I was hoping to get some good advice about a route to take. I'll give you some info about how we like to travel; we don't like to cram 47 cities in 9 days, we like to hike and be outdoors, good food, good wine, we like to stay in local places, no touristy hotels or or buses. There are so many places I've never been and want to see that I'm a little overwhelmed. My husband lived and taught English in Czechoslovakia in 89 & 90, so he is familar with that part of the country. I've only been to France about 12 years ago. I wish we could take a year off and just go wander, but I don't think our kids or parents or mortage holder would like that too much!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

Paris & Venice. No hiking but lots of walking, romance, wine, and good food. Plenty to do inside and outside.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM

We took a very romantic trip to Italy a few years ago. Like you, we had been waiting for a goal, and we were really excited about the trip. We were not practical, and went exactly where we wanted to go.

We spent time on Lake Como, in Bellagio, and there is plenty of outdoor walking and hiking in that area.

Then we flew south to Naples and spent about 5 nights in Positano.

I am telling you to repeat our trip, but in general most of us wouldn't plan a two stop trip in such far apart locations. I just wanted to tell you that we went exactly where our inclinations took us, and it was very lovely.

I do think two stops in 10 days is right. No more than 3, and that depends on how many nights on the ground you have.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM

>we don't like to cram 47 cities in 9 days, we like to hike and be outdoors, good food, good wine, we like to stay in local places, no touristy hotels or or buses.<

In my experience:

San Sebastian and the Basque Country of Spain

Liguria (near Camogli and hiking in the National Park of the Portofino peninsula)

Liguria, in the hills between Apricale and Triora

Le Marche in Italy, and in particular the hills of Montefeltro near Urbino

Lago di Como, off the beaten track

The French Pyrenees, near the Pont d'Espagne and the Cirque du Gavernie (near Cauterets)

The Isle of Skye (if you'd be willing to substitute whiskey and beers for the wine)

Granada and much of Andalucia in the months it is not hot.

Places I've not spent much time in but you might consider, given your interests in hiking and non-touristy places: Piemonte, the Garfagnana area of Tuscany and the Aeolian islands of Sicily.

Have fun choosing!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM

PS: If you got off the beaten track in the Amalfi, it too could be romantic and full of wonderful hiking opportunities.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris and Venice are what first came to mind also in reply to only the title of your post. but obviously they are cities.

Maybe the french-speaking region of Switzerland outside Geneva, along Lac Leman? It is incredibly beautiful there (Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux...)
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM

You could go to Austria and combine hiking and great cities.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:44 AM
ira

Hi M,

>What would be your most romantic 10 day trip to Europe?<

Fly into Venice - 4 days, fly www.myair.com to Paris, fly home.

>...we like to hike and be outdoors, good food, good wine,...<

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Lago Como and Venice---the best of both worlds.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Italy!! The Amalfi Coast is where I would go. Maybe with a stop in Venice. Nothing more romantic, in my opinion. Congratulations and have fun!!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:38 AM

"we like to hike and be outdoors, good food, good wine, we like to stay in local places, no touristy hotels or or buses."

If in summer, Lake Constance would do fine for this.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:49 AM

The most romantic places I've ever been to are, not surprisingly...

1. Amalfi Coast
2. Provence and the Riviera
3. Lake Como
4. Venice
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Congrats to you and yours! I think it is awesome that you are celebrating this occasion and that you are looking for romance and relaxation. I would definitely talk to him and see if there is anything that he really wants to see and think about that yourself. Is there anything that you are dying to see? If not, then I think that you should go the quiet, rent a car, see nature, and spend long mornings in bed kind of vacation. There are tons of places where that is totally doable, but as you mention good wine and food, I would stick to either France, Italy or Spain. As I know Spain best, I can say that there is much romance to be had on the Costa Brava and the Penedès wines are fantastic (great reds). I also find Castilla y León, particularly the Segovia region (find ekscrunchy's trip report. . . awesome suggestions), to be wonderful for hiking, eating, and long long kisses on sunny hilltops overlooking fields. Same with the Basque country, except the beaches there I think are much more beautiful than the rest of Spain.

Everyone is talking Venice and Paris, which I think are two cities that one can fall in love with, but that I don't think make expressing love any easier or more beautiful. Cities rarely do that for me, though. I feel far too conspicuous. Countryside, though, often makes me amorous, and I tell you, Tuscany is a place to do it.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the good advice! i asked my husband and he is leaning towards Italy. I'm going to look at all the places ya'll suggested. Thanks again!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I recommend the aeolian islands. they're a pain to get to...but worth it! My husband and I stayed at capofaro resort on salina. stromboli and panarea are supposed to be very cool as well...