Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Don't those of you who brag about just taking a carry-on take any "stuff" other than clothes?

Search

Don't those of you who brag about just taking a carry-on take any "stuff" other than clothes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the clothes part figured out and could also just manage with a carry-on. It's all the other things that bump us up to a larger (not huge) suitcase though. I just finally managed to finish unpacking from a 2 week trip to Turkey we returned from a week and a half ago and realized that we have a lot of general "stuff" we always take.

In our packing my husband and I include several guidebooks (plus copied pages from some others), 2 mini umbrellas, supplies to do laundry in hotel rooms, battery chargers for a PDA and 2 digital cameras, small fanny packs for hiking, reading materials, a small folding tote bag, a parrao (sp??) to be used as a wrap of picnic cloth, mini binoculars, a small first aid kit, rain or sun hats depending on the season, insect repellant & sunscreen for more outdoorsy summer travels, 2 plastic plates & camping silverware sets for picnics, extra zip-lock bags, small reading lights or flashlight/headlamps, small down travel pillows for flights, and other things I am sure I've forgotten to list. Obviously, all of these things together add up to take up space. Do the rest of you just travel with clothes and one guidebook and nothing else?

I guess I should add that we are budget to moderate travelers, and we typically include more off-the-beaten path places in addition to the major city touristed in the area. Plus, we typically do some more active kinds of things like hiking or biking while traveling.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Personally I wouldn't even bring that much if I was going by car.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Here's the question. HOw much of that "stuff" did you actually use on your trip?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM

To me, I would pack differently if I was going camping and hiking than spending a couple of weeks walking around Paris or Rome. Yes, I do pack thing other than clothes. Last time, I used 2-gallon ziplock bags for my clothes and had plenty of room for all the other things I needed to take along.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Hi Julie

I agree that the "stuff" takes up a lot of room! You seem to carry a LOT more "stuff" than we do.

We usually include only iPod and charger; one camera; two phonesand one charger; a few ziplocks; one guidebook; book for the plane; small down throw/blanket. Toiletries and makeup that fit in a small ziplock. I think that's it. Anything else, we'll buy or just do without.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Let's see:

Guidebooks: No, I don't carry them unless I'm willing to throw them out at the end of the trip. I just photocopy the relevant pages.

Mini-umbrellas: Yes, we each take one but they're superlight and supersmall.

Chargers: Yes, one digital camera charger (we have one regular and one digital camera). Sometimes a Blackberry charger. If no Blackberry, then one mobile phone charger.

Laundry supplies: 3 oz bottle of laundry soap and that's it. If laundry is more complicated than that, I send it out or go to a laundry.

Fanny packs: Well, first of all I can't use that word after having lived in the UK. But I use a daypack as my "small, personal item".

Reading materials: I pack books in French, because they take me 5 times as long to read as English language books. That necessitates my tiny electronic bilingual dictionary. I offload books along the way and replace them with something new to read.

Picnic cloth, platic plates, camping silverware, headlamp, mini-binoculars: No. I always carry (even when not travelling) a tiny lightweight flashlight. (Lesson learned after getting stuck on the 17th floor of a building during the 2003 blackout - with even the emergency power in the stairwells knocked out.)

Insect repellant and sunscreen. Tiny moist towelletes impregnated with bug repellant. Sunscreen - small bottle or nearly empty bottle than can be tossed by the end of the trip.

First aid kit: Not exactly, but I do carry blister packs of key medicines and drugs.

Rain and sun hats: Sun hat only if we're going somewhere really sunny or are going scuba diving (in which case we don't try to do carryon).

Travel pillows: Good heavens, no. Waste of space.

I'm very disciplined about clothes, shoes and personal care products - but I'm also very low maintenance so this is easy for me. I will wear the same things over and over, and either send them for cleaning or wash them myself.

I can do carry-on only provided I'm not flying through the UK with its "one carry-on means one carry-on only" rule, because then I can take a carry-on suitcase and a medium-sized daypack. The suitcase is expandable, so that gives me room to add things along the way and then I check it on the way home.

For me the light packing thing isn't so much about avoiding checked baggage. It has to do with weight, mobility and flexibility. So, sometimes I travel with a 20" suitcase, sometimes I travel with a 22" (which I can often gate check) and sometimes I travel with a 24" suitcase (for a long, multi-activity and multi-climate trip).
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:22 AM
hdm

Besides clothes and shoes, my absolutes to take are:

shampoo & conditioner (it took me years to find stuff that's good for my dry hair and now I can't bear to use the hotel stuff), keri lotion, face wash, makeup, jewellery, meds, hair stuff (clips, pins, ponies -- stuff to put my hair up with when I can't stand it any more)

I tear chunks out of guidebooks and throw them and other paper (ie printed stuff off Fodors) away as I use it.

A paperback book & a couple of magazines I have had time to read at home, also discarded along the way.

Small digital camera

Small opera glasses (a fodorite tip and the very best thing I take -- I keep them in my purse and I'm never without them)

Sunglasses/reading glasses

Address book (in case of emergencies. Also good if I get in a postcard mood)

Next time I'm bringing a 'carry bag' for gifts.

And that's about it. I always think about taking an umbrella and I always forget. Most hotels have 'loaners' anyway and, if not, there's always a cafe to sit in.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

We do seem to take a lot. But, actually in Turkey we used it all. We did lots of hiking, and it was hot so we needed sunscreen (took a small size bottle) and sun hats plus the "waist packs", if that is a better word. Headlamps were necessary in the old cave churches and to explore. In the more touristed places all the guides had flashlights they were using to show their groups the frescoes, so we were glad we'd thought to take them. Binoculars were marvelous to have both outside for hiking and in places like the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul so we could actually see the mosaics on the ceilings. Our 1st aid kit includes blister packed medications, band-aids, moleskin etc. I also use the parraeo as a wrap or shawl. And, when hiking we did picnics for lunch, so the 2 plates & silverware sets were nice.

Thanks for the tip about pre-moistened towelettes of insect repellant although I don't know if those take up a lot less room than our tiny bottle of Muskol. My laundry kit includes a miniclothesline and small pins in addition to the 3 oz. detergent bottle. Question: how do you hang clothes to dry in a hotel bathroom if you don't have these items?

I am nearly obsessive about needing to know all there is about an area so I can't give up on the guidebooks. Plus, we are not the type of people who know exactly where we will be going and what we will be doing, so I need to have the information about the area readily available. I've learned the hard way thinking I could get by with just some xeroxed pages from a book. Once our plans changed while in Europe, and we had no reference materials.

I'm starting to realize that one of the packing issues seems to be the fact that we are taking active vacations rather than just visiting major cities. Thus, sometimes different supplies are called for. Thanks for your tips.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I'm not exactly low maintenance....but I pack light. Regarding sun cream, repellent etc. I buy it where ever I'm going so I don't have to lug it. I don't tend to bring guide books. I bring a book or two for reading on the plane. I bring a mobile phone but no pDAs etc.

I tend to use the opportunity to buy cosmetics and creams at the airport so I don't tend to pack much of those.

Picnic gear I only bring by car. Most peoples budget can stretch to plastic plates etc in a new country.

I have never owned a fanny pack.

If you live in Europe and fly low cost a lot, you get used to going everywhere with one small carry on.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:33 AM

julies

Our main bags are slightly larger than carryons, you don't mention how big yours are. And we always check our main bags - we are too attached to taking things like Swiss army knives. Two daypacks go on board with us.

However, while we might take the odd plastic fork, we've never taken plates. Our water-resistant windbreakers have hoods - exit the umbrellas. We once took a 14 by 14 inch cloth napkin for a 'tablecloth' - very festive...and compact. We gave up on the travel pillows and just roll up a sweater, etc. to pad the aircraft seat. As for guidebooks - in general, if we haven't read it by the time we leave, we figure we won't read it later, either. (This is often true.) Directions, maps, and photocopied pages do make the 'cut' though.

Point being, I think that to travel exactly with one carryon apiece would be beyond us, too. But there is room in your list to cut down if you wanted.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I just returned from a three week trip in Europe. My main packing problem is not the clothes, but all the hair junk-shampoo, styling gel, hair sray, comb, brush,curling iron, and hair dryer. Most hotels have a hair dryer, but some of the smaller ones do not. And the dryers that are in the bathroom take forever to dry even my fine hair.

I aso take a snack bag for the flight over. Good thing because this flight I didn't get upgraded to business like my sister. She got the last one. In business class you get much better food and of course the ice cream sundae.

I also take a sweater and a light jacket because I'm cold all the time. I used both on the plane and the dirty blanket.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I just returned from a 3-week trip to Europe and traveled very light.
All my clothes were either cycling type (dry fast) or very lightweight. I had everything I needed for everyday hiking, cycling, and evening wear.

I took one 14x22x9 carry-on bag (28 lbs) and one over the shoulder bag (9 lbs).
I was on the move a lot (trains, buses, rental car) and am sure glad I traveled light.
I carried my stuff without help up lots of stairs, over cobblestones, etc.

My suitcase is VERY light (when not packed) and is on rollers.
I had an inexpensive ¾-length rain jacket (w/hood and tons of pockets) that I could wear or roll up and attach with a strap to the outside of my suitcase. I also could perch my over-the-shoulder bag on top of suitcase and roll it all when the situation allowed.

Most of the time, I wore a lightweight TravelSmith vest w/11 pockets.
My pants also had extra pockets on the legs, and I could turn them into shorts by unzipping the lower leg part.
I used mesh packable cubes in my suitcase, which worked great.

I also took:
-several guidebooks
-a mini umbrella
-a small bottle of Camp Suds (used for washing laundry/shampoo/soap) and a travel laundry line so I could hang laundry to dry
-a digital camera
-a microfiber backpack that when empty packed easily in my suitcase
-a small first aid kit w/various health needs, insect repellant, sunscreen (miniature sized), tiny scissors, nail clippers, etc. (I bought some lotion when I arrived and some soap powder when I did a major wash in a laundromat mid-trip.)
-a cloth baseball cap (that I waterproofed)
-a tiny flashlight, compass, suitcase lock
-an inflatable travel pillow
-extra zip-lock bags
-other small stuff too numerous to mention
-an O2 Rainwear jacket w/hood and pants (wonderful to keep you dry, protect you from wind, and breathable) I canoed w/it on and didn’t get wet in spite of rain, and cycled down a mountain w/jacket on and didn’t get cold. It’s my favorite outdoor wear!)

I followed the checklist on Rick Steves’ website.
His website -- www.ricksteves.com -- has some very practical advice on traveling light.
I wore and used everything I took.
The only thing I missed were my cycling shoes/bike pedals, but I couldn’t justify taking them on this trip. I wore one pair of great athletic shoes (that I waterproofed), packed one lighter (backup) pair of walking shoes, one pair of dress shoes, and flip flops.
I hope this helps!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Sometimes the limits on carry-on are so low, you can hardly take anything. On a recent European flight, it was 6 kilos. It would be practically impossible to stay below that for a two week trip. Perhaps on a transatlantic flight you can take more than that.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Julie

It sounds like you really are very active travelers - bravo! I bet you've seen and done some fantastic stuff. In your case, I wouldn't worry about trying to fit everything in carry on. One would need more stuff to have the adventures that you have!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Not that I'm recommending it, but a friend of ours packs no underwear. She buys cheap stuff at her destination, wears it and then throws it away.

I'm guessing her luggage is small but her carbon footprint is huge.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:59 AM

I don't take "several guidebooks," I check them out first and take the one or two best (if not ripped out pages).

I buy an umbrella if it rains.

just soap for laundry, places I rent usually have lines.

I leave the battery charger at home and take AAs my digital camera (no other devices)

I take a small bag as my personal item (one that will fit in my carryon if need be). It can function as a tote (or I can buy one).

Usually only one book, I'll hopefully be too busy to read

never needed binoculars (but that's a good idea)

first aid items and sunscreen with toiletries, no hats, but insect repellant if I need it

never needed picnic supplies (but have had picnics) or headlamps (?)--take keychain led light

take inflatable pillows for flight

You are talking about a fabulous 2-week trip, but yes, I have always managed with a carry-on and wished I brought less. I just purchase what I need. It's not bragging, I just don't have time in my limited vacation time to deal with delayed or lost baggade ever again!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I probably wouldn't take all those things on every trip but have taken most on some trips. Still manage w/ just carry on. Sometines on intra-europe budget flight that carry on needs to be checked.

I use sunscreen towelettes - much smaller and less likely to leak. I don't usually take my silverware kit anymore since it has a metal blade (but always did pre-9/11) It is a really cool one I got from the National Trust in England several years ago. I take a folding tote (empty) if I do have to check the carry on. I don't bother w/ travel pillows any more since lots of plane headrests now have those adjustable bits that cradle your head better.

But even w/ your full list - everything should still fit in a 21 inch bag. My book light is VERY small. and my flashlight bascially is the size of a credit card so son't see how they'd impact anything
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM

I am sure I am not the only one out there who can rarely use a carryon alone because I have to take a CPAP. My new machine isn't very big, but the hose is still six feet long, and the mask can only be disassembled so far. Then there is the extension cord and the plug adapter. In addition to the CPAP, I can carry toiletries, mp3 player, medications, change of underwear, sleep shirt, a magazine, diary, and a snack or two before I hit the international airline weight limits. In the US, I can usually carry a change of shirt and trousers for an overnight work trip.

In the winter, I wear a Barbour jacket and can really stuff those big pockets with things that might otherwise go in the carryon, so I can carry a second day of clothes.

Once you have to check a bag for a trip, you might as well follow Julies's example and take all the stuff that makes the difference between existence and comfort -- Swiss Army knife, clothespins to hold curtains shut, eating utensils, guidebooks, more snacks, and, of course, clothes and a pair of sandals to change into after walking around all day.

I learned this when I was traveling constantly on business. I go straight to the rental car counter and take care of all that, THEN I go to the baggage carousel where the luggage is just starting to arrive. I bet I am not three minutes later getting out of the airport than people who won't check anything. I last had a checked bag go astray in 1969, though I am overdue for that.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a CPAP carry case that holds all the other bits? If so - a CPAP does not affect your carry-on allowances. It is medical equipment and is not usually weighed. If the hose/cords and such have to fit in you carry on - that would be a problem. But not if you had them all in one case.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM

j_999_9:

Well, I travel a bit like your friend, except that I pack ancient, nearly ready for the garbage undies and then toss them. Not as heinous as buying and tossing new ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -