Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Don't people fall into the canals in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Nikki

Where I live the folks get pretty tipsy during and after dinner and on night's out on the town and they drink and drive. How about in Venice, do they drink and walk and fall into canals? Seems pretty easy to do.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Grasshopper

Not to my knowledge but an interesting sidestory - Until recently some huge number of cars each year ended up in the Amsterdam Canals. People parked headed toward the canals and when drunk would just misjudge the edge. For this reason the insurance companies financed the low metal guardrails that separate the parking area from the canals. Now only 7 cars a year end up in the drink. But 15,000 bikes are pulled out every year. (source: our Canal boat guide)

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Tony

Yes they do. But low pH of "water" dissolves the bodies within minutes.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Giovanna

The only one I have witnessed was Katharine Hepburn in the movie Summertime. Just watched the movie again this weekend. Having just returned from Venice, everything in the movie was remarkably the same as we had just seen (the movie was made in about 1955).

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Lana

Last year a group of us girls were walking and talking and laughing after dinner and vino. I was walking backwards facing them to laugh some more when I noticed their faces took on shocked looks so I stopped and turned about 2 inches from the edge of a canal. Then I teetered and tottered on my toes for a minute or two to get my balance...so you do have to be careful.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Gauloises

A friend of mine was sitting next to a canal when some evil Dutch guy came up and pushed her in for no reason.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Holly

Was she wearing capri pants?

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Fiona

That is terrible to be pushed in, isn't it against some law there? I bet you could really pick up some germs in that water!

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:58 AM
JBX

Yes, Katherine Hepburn did her own stunt falling into the canal. As a consequence, she came down with an eye infection. That was back in the 1950's. I doubt the canals are any cleaner, so I'd do my best to avoid taking a dip.<BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Giovanna

JBX - I thought it was an ear infection that has plagued her off and on since the movie.<BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:32 AM
MyTree

If I could, I would take a couple of neighbors to Venice and push them into a canal

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:02 AM
JBX

Eye? Ear? I know it was one of those body parts.<BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:10 PM
c

cc