Don't know much about Florence

Jan 17th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Deborah

Don't know much about Florence

My husband and I are traveling to Florence in June. Which places are MUST-SEES and do you have any suggestions for a good restaraunt or two?

Jan 17th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Keith

Stay in the historical section so you can walk to everywhere. It's about 5 blocks square. Recommend to stay at the Hotel Pendini 3 star, great rooms, facility, and staff only $100 per night plus $20 for your car. Stay at least 3 days and see & do everything. It is truely wonderful. [email protected]

Jan 17th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Vita

1) The two most popular museums are Accademia (to see David) and Uffizi. Book reservations if you want to see Uffizi as lines are long.

2) Piazzale Michaelangelo for a view of Florence.

3) Boboli gardens

4) The duomo. Climb to the top of the dome if you can so you can get a better look at the frescoes and get another nice view of Florence.

5) Eat gelato twice a day (min)

6) Take walks along the Arno at night

Jan 17th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Vita

Sorry. Forgot to mention two beautiful churches -
7) San Miniato al Monte - I heard some monks chanting while I was there. It was wonderful, but I'm not sure of the time.

8) Santa Croce - Burial site of several famous Florentines including Michelangelo of course.

Jan 17th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Dottie

Deborah
I have to second staying in the historcal section and walking everywhere! There was a little store right around the corner from our hotel and we would stop every night to buy a bottle of wine and fresh fruit and take to our room. Soooooo romantic. Favorites to see: Michelangelo's David in the Accademia, Ponte Vecchio - the oldest bridge in the city, The Duomo and the Baptistery. They sell wonderful fine leathers. You'll have a great time!

Jan 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Amy

Add one more museum--the Barghello (sp).
And you must eat gelato three times a day (minimum) and keep a diary of your favorite vendors and flavors to post on this site!

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Linda

The David is the must-see. After that, gelato at Vivoli's, Fiesole is interesting to look down on Firenze, Ponte Vecchio over the Arno. We were there in June several years ago and they have a pageant where the 4 sections of Florence have, what I can only describe as, a medieval football/rugby game surrounded by men & women in period costumes. We just lucked into it and it was great fun.

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
John G

Yes, don't forget to visit the Bargello to see Donatello's fey "David," and the magnificient Della Robias. This place is an often-overlooked treasure trove.

Go to the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella to buy some pot-pourri and perfume. 16n Via Scala.

You must walk the neighborhood of Santo Spirito on the Oltrarno and visit the Brancacci Chapel to see the Masaccios and Masolinos.

Eat gelato at Vivoli, take tea at Rivoire, and pastries at Gilli in Piazza Republica.

Buy some beautiful paper at Pinaider.

Visit the Synagogue and take a free tour. Eat at the kosher restaurant next door.

I know this sounds strange, but, there is a fabulous Chinese restaurant on the Borgo Ognissanti, down the street from the Grand Hotel. This place is packed to the rafters with Florentines, and the reason is because it is GREAT. I can't remember the name, but everyone if Florence knows it, just ask someone.

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM
dan woodlief

Well, others have mentioned most of them, but here is my list:

Musts:

David at the Accademia

The Duomo - the dome is great, but the climb up the campanile is much easier, and you get to see the dome while up there; the difference is the dome does allow for closeup views of the art (as someone mentioned).

The Baptistery

The Uffizi - allow for 2 1/2 - 3 hours for a decent tour

Ponte Vecchio - not all that great on the bridge, but the view at sunrise or sunset from the banks is fabulous

Gelato - Yes, Vivoli is wonderful; try the riso (rice) - I never found it anywhere else

Piazzale Michelangelo - the church of San Miniato al Monte is just up the hill from it (maybe a five minute walk); if you visit the church, don't miss the cemetery behind it (the best part in my opinion)

Santa Croce - simply a beautiful and fascinating church

The square of Piazza della Signoria

Near Musts:

church of Santa Maria Novella

Barghello sculpture gallery

Pitti Palace (highly decorated palace filled with art and other items) and Boboli Gardens

Duomo Museum - small but larger than I expected and filled with wonderful art and interesting items related to the Duomo

If you want to shop or just look, the markets, especially the area near San Lorenzo

I would probably put the Brancacci Chapel on this list, but I never made it there in my three days in Florence.

Some good restaurants:

Ristorante La Posta - wonderful bistecca alla fiorentina (about the best steak I ever ate).

La Baruciola - on Via Maggio in Oltrarno; not far from the Pitti Palace. Pretty decent prices and tasty food.

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:16 AM
gina

Don't miss the Michelangelos in the Medici Chapel. The statues of Dawn and Dusk,Night and Day are breathtaking. Be sure to get an audiotour. I think 3 days and 4 nights should do it.

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Teah

As I wore my leather jacket today which was bought in Florence during a visit in '99, I'll have to add a "shopping excursion" for your favorite leather items. There's many options for leather goods all over Florence. I bought mine at a store overlooking Piazza Santa Croce (as already mentioned, the San Croce church is a must-see).