Don't abuse me: Please advise of best point & shoot camera to take with me

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure according to some this will seem a "stretch" as a travel question. My last trip I took a Kodak APS camera, and many of the pics were crappy. I usually use a 35 mm which I never had that problem with. I am looking for advice about either a particular high-end APS you have brought on trips that take great pics, or a website that you know of that that has current reviews. I tried consumerreports.org, and the reviews were dated. Eopinions didn't seem to have too many reviews on any one camera. Please help- headed to Sicily in March and I don't want to come home with disappointing pics again! I am stuck on the APS thing because I have about 10 rolls of film left, and want to use them. Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:47 AM

If you are indeed stuck on an APS then you will mostly get crappy pictures. It was marketing gimmick to increase processing costs to the consumer. The format is just not adequate. Sacrifice the $30 in film and get a good 35MM--or a digital.<BR> And you will get as many recommendations of cameras as people who post so I will just add mine. I think the Pentax IQ zoom series is an exceptional P&amp;S. The 90 or above all offer excellent features for control of the picture composition.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:58 AM

I would agree with Gretchen that your best option is to get a 35mm point and shoot - I have a large camera set up, but always take a P&amp;S with me as well for those times when I can't carry a large camera, and I have spectacular pictures from them. We have an older Samsung P&amp;S, but I have heard rave reviews about the Pentax Gretchen mentioned - as well as Canon and Nikon. I suggest you go to photo.net - it's an interesting website with lots of opinions specifically on cameras.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:07 AM
ron

APS is a near-dead format, killed by the fact that it had no real advantages over 35 mm and by the rapid acceptance of digital. Manufacturers are already dropping the format. Like the others, I suggest you write off your investment in the 10 rolls of APS film and, if you are not ready to go digital, buy a nice 35 mm compact. My 35 mm compact is a Pentax, which is good, but I don’t expect it is any better than Canon or Nikon or Minolta.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:13 AM

I have a supposedly good APS. It certainly was expensive. I've regretted it ever since. The cheapest 35MM is better, even the disposable ones. My APS is packed away, I'd rather use my 35MM. All my friends with APS have similar experiences. Buy a smart Digital or a new 35MM. Canon and Nikon have some small and affordable 2.1MPixel digitals you can put in your pocket.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I still use APS as one of the format. What I found out is that APS pictures are influenced to more extent by the brand and the processing lab than the 35mm. I was not impressed with neither the original Fuji APS film nor any of the Kodak films they are selling now. I did not like the Kodak premium processing either. The only combination I liked was the ASA100 Fuji 4 layer films processed at a particular Costo one hour lab.<BR>So my feeling is that if your films are the wrong type and if you do not know a competent lab, then even if someone gives you a superduper APS camera, you still get crappy pictures.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:42 AM

I surely think that this post is perfectly appropriate for a travel forum; cannot imagine that many want to have such strict parameters that this type question would be &quot;outlawed&quot;.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:53 AM

Don't use a $ more on APS. If you have to use the 10 rolls use your old APS, and don't expect anything. You still have the memory and pictures is just paper.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:16 AM

i've actually taken some great pictures with my Canon APS camera and it doesn't even have zoom!!! It's so tiny and practically weightless so i carry it with me all the time which is excellent for catching some memorable, unexpected moments.<BR><BR>On the other hand, I recently bought a Canon 35mm camera with excellent zoom and it's fairly small and I love that too...<BR><BR>From your post, I assume you prefer 35m over APS format (?) so, I wouldn't buy a whole new APS camera for the purpose of using up your film. Sounds rather &quot;uneconomical&quot; in the long run. <BR><BR>Get the camera that you really want, take a few pictures with it in all possible conditions (use 12 exposure roll), develop it, then decide whether you'd like to stick with that camera or exchange it for another one! <BR><BR>Take advantage of the return policy--but don't abuse it, of course. Keep it in the same condition you bought it. Most stores do state that satisfaction is guaranteed, right? Good Luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM

APS is crap. like you, I insested on keeping one and buying many APS panoramic camaras for years, but I tended too loose %25 percent of each role on any camara I used.. off course I'm not a photo buff and I tend too take quick pics as I'm walking buy something.... I'll abuse you next time..
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:15 AM

A really fine 35mm point &amp; shoot is the Olympus Stylus Epic. It is small and light, and best of all, has a very high quality 35mm lens with a fast aperture speed of f-2.8. If you don't know what this means, trust me when I tell you that it's a very good thing.<BR><BR>The Epic comes in a few versions. The one I'm talking about does NOT have a zoom lens...just the fixed 35mm I mention above. This camera sells for a very reasonable $80-$90.00.<BR><BR>If you want a zoom lens, I recommend the Minolta Freedom Zoom Explorer. This camera has a 28-75mm zoom. The wide (28mm) end of this lens is what makes this camera attractive. You'll get much more use out of a wide angle lens when traveling, especially in Europe. I believe the Minotlta currently sells for around $150.00.<BR><BR>As others have told you APS has been a flop. What they did was basically cut the size of the negative in half, leaving you with a smaller piece of film. Because of the smaller negative, you get photos with less resolution and contrast...(they look soft and dull). <BR><BR>The main thing with these point &amp; shoot cameras is to try and get the most out of them, and to use them in the proper modes. For example, turning the flash on or off will give you much more control.<BR><BR>If you'd like to read a bit more, I've written a brief report about how I use point and shoot cameras. It's not gospel, but just some suggestions that I have found to improve my keepers.<BR><BR>Here is the link: http://www.jimtardio.com/olympus-epic.html<BR><BR>PLEASE NOTE: In the past when I've posted links to my site, I've ocassionally been accused of trying to solicit business. Please rest assured that that is not my intent. I love traveling and I love photography, and I like to discuss it with others who share these interests. My photo business mainly consists of licensing photo rights to publishers who produce brochures, business reports, etc...<BR><BR>Anyone on Fodors is welcomed to use any of my photos for whatever reason.<BR><BR>END OF RANT! Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:21 AM
jor

As a college student of photograhpy and also as a traveler I can say that non of you are getting to the point!<BR><BR>the most important factor in the quality of a camera is the &quot;speed&quot; of the lens ( I'm not talking about the shutter). Look on the front of the camera on the area surrounding the lens. There is a number which indicates the lens quality. The lower the number, the better the quality of the lens, and hence the photos. 6 is the most common number on average point and shoot cameras. 2.8 is one of the best and is very hard to find. If the number is not on the lens, look through the manual to find it. If its not listed it is probably a bad lens.<BR><BR>BTW, I travel with an APS camera and am very satisfied. No more 35mm cameras.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:29 AM
ron

Jor, I hope you are not paying too much for your college education if they are teaching you that lens aperture is a measure of quality.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:46 AM
jor

<BR>ron, You don't need to insult people.<BR><BR>Anyone involved with photography knows that the lense quality is the most important aspect of a camera. I know what I am talking about.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. Is panoramic pictures only available with APS? If so, at least I guess I can use the old camera for that. After taking the APS cam on 2 trips, one to the Florida Keys and one to Greece/Italy I can also attest I probably also lost about 25% of my pics due to fuzziness. It's not a complex camera, so I can't even try &amp; blame myself.<BR><BR>Which of the above recommended cameras are user-friendly? I love snapping pictures but I really do not know anything about different lenses, speeds, etc. <BR><BR>And we thought the insults were going to go away!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM
jor

<BR>Jim_Tardio, I need to know where the Olympus Stylus Epic with a f-2.8 can be purchased. The price you gave is fantastic! I have friends who difinately need to upgrade and I would like to know where they can find it.<BR>thanks, jor
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 11:15 AM

The Olympus Epic can be purchased at almost any camera store, or even chain stores like Walmart or Best Buy. I use B&amp;H Photo...www.bhphoto.com. Or you can compare prices at www.buy.com.<BR><BR>About the panoramic feature...many p&amp;s cameras have the panoramic option. The Minolta I mention above has it. Just be sure to specify to the film developer that you have panoramics on the roll if film.<BR><BR>Both cameras I mention can be used in straight point &amp; shoot mode, without having to change any settings...both are quite easy to operate. But if you take the time to learn to use the options the camera provides, your exposures will improve. It's really pretty simple stuff.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM

I would not purchase a camera that did not have a zoom lens. The reason is that all your pictures will have a &quot;sameness&quot; look to them--you will be taking all of them from the same point of view with a camera lens that cannot zoom. Another point about zoom lenses is that it is best that it be a contnuous zoom so you can compose exactly along the zoom where you want the picture to be made. Some inexpensive cameras have zoom &quot;stops&quot; and are not continuous. <BR>The point about the faster lens is (2.8 vs. 5 or 6) is good mainly for the ability to take pictures in lower light. HOwever this may or may not be important if you plan ahead for low light situations and use faster film. And of course for close in pictures there is flash.<BR>If you must have panoramic pictures buy a disposable panoramic camera and keep it with you.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I have had an APS, Elph 490Z, for a few years and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the photos. For Christmas this year I bought myself a digital Nikon Coolpix 5700. It's a little larger than the P&amp;S cameras but not as big as an SLR and you get so much more -including the ability to see &quot;what you got&quot; before you leave an area. Still learning all the computer stuff but already know it's going to be my favorite. I will definitely keep the Elph for occasions (I can never spell that word) when security might be an issue - like leaving it on beach while swimming or snorkeling etc.<BR><BR>BTW - the recommendation for b&amp;h photo video is a recommendation I have heard from several sources as far as pricing and reliabilty of service and trustworthiness.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:28 PM
ahussey

I have an old Cannon A1 which is a great carera, but with the len's quite heavy and bulky. Befor a trip 2 years ago I also bought a Olympus Stylus with a lens that goes from 28mm(wide angle) to 80mm. I keep high speed film in one and low speed in the other so I can capture objects in daylight and inside areas where light is limited. It also has panorama setting which is quite good. I'v vey satisfied with the results and have prined up to 8 1/2 x 11 sizes for my albiums.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -