Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

donegal Wedding and nw sightseeing, Any Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning to get married in donegal town sometime next year in late spring/ early summer, His grandmother and uncles still live in the area so we will probably have the use of a car for the duration of our stay, any tips or suggestions for a 14-18 day stay concentrating on the NW region for at least the first week, we plan on going to london for 2 days of our trip, probably not till the end of the second week. He has been traveling overseas since he was small, but I have never left the US before,and he hasn't been back as an adult, so I need all the help I can get! Especially any must see places you have been, we are both history buffs so museums are going to be a treat.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM

First things first.

Do you know the laws about getting married in Ireland? They have strict residency requirements. Do a Google search and input words like "Ireland Wedding" or "Ireland Marriage Requirements".

If you do not have a passport, get one now. If your unmarried name is on your passport your plane tickets should be in the name on your passport.

Definitely find out if you can borrow a car. Ireland has pretty strict insurance rules and you may not be able to borrow a relative's car. If you can not then reserve one in advance.

Read guide books about Ireland. Start at your library and bookstore to find ones that you like. The ones at the library will probably be out of date. Once you find one that suits your style buy the latest edition. Only you will know what you want to do and see. Do your homework first and everything will fall into place.

Call Tourism Ireland and have them send you a free info kit. Ask for brochures about marriage. US & Canada: 1-800-223-6470.

This Fodors forum is excellent. But there are a few others out there that are for Ireland only. Do a Google and input something like "Travel Forum Ireland" or "Ireland Travel Forums". Look for ones with lots of activity and postings. There are a few moderated ones that are superior.

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 03:06 PM

IrishEyes ----- just a note to you to let you know I think you are great - you are always so helpful - especially like what you just did with this young lady.

Leaving for Ireland Monday - let you how things were when I return middle of October
lizard
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:46 PM

lizard, What a kind thing to say. Thank you! I was just passing along info that I have researched in the past. I hope it helps with hep_kitten's wedding plans. Things are always frantic enough when getting married that a little extra help is always in order.

BTW, I hijacked your Wojazz3 subject and wished you a happy trip to Ireland. I hope you enjoy meandering around. I may be there myself in mid-October so I will have to wait a while to read your trip report. Have a fabulous time.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Hi folks:

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. As Irish Eyes was saying, make sure you know the legal requirements. We'll be in Donegal next May. Perhaps we'll pass by your ceremony.

There is a lot to see in Donegal and Northern Ireland. Virtually any section of the Donegal coast is spectacular, but check out the southern coast and Slieve League. They are arguably the highest sea cliffs in Europe. Also Horn Head, Fanad Head and the Inishowen Peninsula are wonderful.

In NI, be sure to visit the Antrim coast, again many spectacular areas but don't miss Dunluce castle, Giants Causeway, and Carrick-a-Rede. The Glens of Antrim are beautiful, esp. Glenariff with it's waterfalls. A trip down the Torr Rd is always worth it, though it's kind of narrow. Take the little road down to Murlough Bay. The Antrim Coast road is a beautiful drive.

Well that's a start and my brain is tired. Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Hep, do look into the laws and implications of getting married here. I would advise against it and do a civil service at home before and THEN get married in a church etc. after in Donegal.

I don't want to be a downer but if something goes wrong in future you have to have a lot of legal hassle. See http://www.international-divorce.com/irishdivorce/ I do live here and this will apply to me if I get married here but as a foreigner I would not get married here.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM

For basic information on getting married in Ireland, look at the website for the US Embassy in Dublin at http://dublin.usembassy.gov/ireland/marriage.html

Just to clarify SiobhanP's post, the rules about divorce in Ireland will only apply if you seek to get a divorce IN Ireland. They will NOT apply if you get married in Ireland, but file for divorce in the US. You do not have to get divorced in the same country in which you were married, much like you do not have to get a divorce in the same US state in which you were married.

If you are legally married in one country, most other countries will recognize that marriage as being valid. (Exceptions would be marriage to a person of your same sex, marriage to an underage person or marriage to a first cousin, most countries would not recognize the first and many countries would not recognize the second two as being valid marriages.) You can get a divorce in any country you want, and again for the most part those divorces will be recognized by other countries. Italy and Philippines may be an exception as divorce is not legal there, and in countries where you can get a "quickie" divorce without the consent of the other spouse. Most countries have residency requirements for divorce, which is my most people get divorced in the country/state in which they are living at the time they decide to divorce.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Is the divorce considered valid by Ireland though? I think I heard a story about someone getting a quickie carribean divorce so they couyld divorce their Irish Partner and re-marry but it was not recogonised by Ireland? God this is a downer!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:58 AM

That is a good question, and my guess is that the divorce would not be upheld IF the divorcing spouse wanted to get married again in Ireland; I believe the non-divorcing spouse living in Ireland could contest the divorce and/or object to their spouse trying to get married in Ireland (that's why banns are published before a wedding among other reasons). You would really need to go to an Irish lawyer on that one.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:00 AM

IrishEyes is right about the car insurance. It's usually the person driving the car, not the car itself, that is insured. A friend of mine is insured to drive any car, but his wife is only insured to drive their car.

Also, have you booked the venue for the wedding and/or reception? People tend to have very long engagements in Ireland, in part because churches and reception venues get booked up so early, 2 years or more ahead of time.

As history buffs, you'll definitely want to spend a day in Derry, and do the city walls tour.

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:50 AM

Ann1 - I don't think that's true about such long engagements. I just got engaged last month and am getting married next July - a 10/11 month engagement. We had no problem getting availability for the date we wanted in one of the most spectacular venues in the country (Powerscourt) for the August bank holiday weekend! I think most people only have long engagements if they have to save up for the wedding, or if they are particularly young - it's not necessarily to do with the venue.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:55 AM

Cailin,

That is a fantastic place in the best time of year. Congrats! I was at a ball there a few years back and it was stunning. I would love to have my receprion there someday!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:28 AM

Thanks Siobhan - it is a fairytale-like setting. I can't wait!!