Domus Aurea (Golden House) how to tour?

Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Domus Aurea (Golden House) how to tour?

I understand that it opened to the public in recent years & a reservation has to be made in order to see it. Is that right? Does anyone know of the website to reserve a tour? I searched but couldn't come up with the actual website of the Domus Aurea.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Domus Aurea (Nero's House), Rome, Italy - information and booking.Some information and background on the Domus Aurea, Rome, plus details on how to book tickets online.
www.tickitaly.com/galleries/domus-aurea-rome.php
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM

Try this:
http://www.pierreci.it/do/show/article/01241
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM

I took this tour just a few weeks ago. Make sure you know exactly where the entrance gate is. It's a big park, and if you are late you miss out.

There were about 15 on our tour. Before heading inside you put on a yellow helmet for protection, then the tour of the rooms lasts -- well, I think it was billed as 20-30 minutes, but our guide kept us down there for 50 minutes.

While waiting for the tour to begin, we were talking to another couple, the usual conversation, where you live, how long in Rome, etc. etc. Turns out they were also Fodorites! So we had a mini GTG there at the Golden House!

Happy travels!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

kopp: how about some feelings on the place - did you enjoy or endure it? I know little of the place. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

kopp- where did you get your tickets at? I am finding places online that are saying it is still closed & I went to the above website & I am unable to find out what times to buy tickets for for the time that we are there. We are in Rome from May13-18.

So where is the right entrance gate?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

the tickitaly site says it is still closed from December but I have found info since that says it reopened in February again. Obviously, as kopp says he was there just a couple of weeks ago.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM

The site I linked above, pierreci, has links with info on ticket purchase via phone and internet.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

once again....some places say its closed some say it is open. One said that it was closed until the end of April 2007 (but then how could the poster above me have toured it?) & that it would be decided the 1st week of May when it would be reopened.

Does a person even need to purchase advance tickets? Or is it something we could purchase there or even a day before?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

"The site I linked above, pierreci, has links with info on ticket purchase via phone and internet"

I think you are supposed to be able to purchase tickets on there but it is not giving me any dates that it is available. Not sure if it isn't working or if it is closed or what.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM

It gives a phone number -- call and ask.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

cant get any information with the phone number either. i did get through but I wasn't able to book anything...it just refers me back to the website. Its fine- I will just keep looking & emaiing websites that say they book tickets. Hopefully I will find something out in the next few days. Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Back in February is when I made my reservation. Here is the text of the thread from that time:

Author: kopp
Date: 02/06/2007, 07:02 pm
It is very exciting that a portion of this palace will be opening up for tours.

Today I called and made a reservation for mid-March. The cost is 4.50E per person, pre-paid by credit card.

English tours are Tuesday-Friday, at 12:40 or 2 pm. The tours last 30 minutes.

They made it very clear that the tour is NOT of the complete palace area, only the areas that are currently undergoing restoration.

Reservations are made in advance only. There is no ticket office at the site.

Your confirmation number is your ticket. The gates will be closed until the time of the tour, and then the tour guides open the gate and take you in.

The reservation process was very simple. If you speak English, just keep listening once they answer in Italian. You will shortly hear the prompts for making the reservation in English.

This is the number I called:

39-06-399-677-00

I seem to recall there was a sign posted at the gate that said it was only going to be open for a short period of time. Sorry, but I can't recall what the dates were.

Did I enjoy it or endure it? Interesting thought.

I don't do well on guided tours. I would much rather see something on my own, rather than listening to a guide go on and on and on about history, who lived here when, what it looked like way back, etc.

We spent 2 weeks in Rome on this trip, so we saw lots of ruins. Went to Hadrian's Villa, Ostia Antica, and of course just about everything that's inside Rome (did not go to Pompeii this time).

Having said that, the ruins here are basic large rooms. I would say we went thru about 20 rooms, but you could see down halls there were lots more unavailable for the tour.

You saw what were once fountains, sewers, baths, etc.

The hallways are very wide, and the walls are made of what looks like compacted dirt. There is a bit of air flowing through the rooms, but some people were coughing.

The "Golden House" is accessed by a metal staircase to an upper level. This is the most interesting part of the tour, to me anyway. There are no traces of gold left. However, there are a number of small frescoes, paint here and there, and some tiles. In the ceiling is a hole where, so the story goes, the explorers from waaay back actually entered to find the ruins. (When you are on the top side in the park, look for this hole, and you will see exactly where you were underneath.)

The paint fragments that are left behind are said to have been studied by Michelangelo and Raphael (who came into this area via the hole to check out the artwork).

I would do the tour again; however, for someone who only has a couple days, I would spend my time exploring the other areas of Rome. There is just so much to see and do in Rome. Even though this was our 4th trip there, we finally had time to visit Hadrian's Villa and the Tivoli Gardens, as well as Ostia Antica. Just never seems to be enough time to see everything.

That is, until next time!

Happy travels!

Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

I had heard the "open for restoration" program was only Feb 1 - April 27, then it would close again. I'm interested in hearing what others find out.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't bother-I went there in 2005-and thought it a complete waste of time and money-dank, cold, nothing interesting to see, a few faded frescoes, that's it. Wouldn't bother with it at all-and no, I went in August, and didn't need a reservation-there weren't all that many people who wanted to see it-for good reason.

If you've not done the Scavi tour at the Vatican-THAT is something worth seeing-fascinating in every way. Do that tour-you'll be very glad you did.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM

bookmarking