Dolomites or Italian Lake District?

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Sandy

Dolomites or Italian Lake District?

I'm planning a trip to Italy and need to decide between the Dolomites and the Italian Lake District. Any advice?

I know that many of you will say do both (and more!), but I'd like to hear about why some of you prefer one area over the other.

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:51 PM
GAC

There is no correct answer to this impossible question. It all depends on personal tastes. Both areas are gorgeous. Are you a mountain person or a lake person? Many say that the Dolomites are the most beautiful part of the Alps, Italian or otherwise. The northern part of Lake Garda and the central part of Lake Como are surrounded by low mountains, if that has any relevance for you. I personally am very fond of Varenna, on Lake Como (opposite Bellagio and Menaggio). Gardone Riviera on Lake Garda and Stresa on Lake Maggiore are also favorites of mine.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Jean

When? Many of the better hotels and restaurants in the Lake District are closed in the off/winter season. Not the case in the Dolomites; however, just like any mountain area, it may still be very cold in April and May.

I agree with GAC: You need to decide what you want to see and do. We can't decide for you.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Sandy

Thanks for your responses. You are both right; I should have been more specific. I'm hoping for an active vacation with lots of walking/hiking, great scenery and terrific food.
Not sure what the hiking in the Dolomites is like(although I imagine it is challenging)and whether the Lake District is maybe too slowly paced.

Feb 13th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Wayne

If you're going to do your hiking and sightseeing around Lake Garda, you almost can't avoid going into the Dolomites. If you are way over at Lake Maggiore, seeing the Dolomites would take a bit of a trip. All you have to do is drive along the east or west shore of Lake Garda, heading northward toward Bolzano, and then take an eastward route into the Dolomites. All of that, if you drive starting from the south end of the lake, will take only about 2 to 3 hours to get into the pretty mountains. If hiking is your main interest, you can have your cake and eat it too, by going north from the north tip of the lake to the little town of Arco, only a few miles away. There is great hiking there, and you are still a stone's throw (figuratively) from the lake. Now if you go over to Lakes Como and Maggiore, you will see less mountains and more villages along the lake. Have fun.

Feb 14th, 2002, 08:32 AM
JP

both regions are great. you won't be disappointed by the scenery or food in either. not sure which is better for hiking though.

if you choose the dolomites, I have family in belluno and they always take me on great tours of the area.

here are some towns worth visiting [in my humble opinion]

belluno
cortina
feltre
marostica [they have a human chess board]

you will have a great tip either way.
enjoy!
JP

Feb 14th, 2002, 09:04 AM
GAC

For hiking in a ravishingly beautiful area of the Trentino Dolomites, consider San Martino di Castrozza. The Pale di San Martino are among the most stunning peaks in all of the Alps. Do a search on the internet for this location.