Dolomites in late Sept.

Search

Dolomites in late Sept.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites in late Sept.

Can anyone tell me what the Dolomite region is like in late September? Are most attractions and or facilities open. Also, can anyone give me a place to stay upon landing at Marco Polo airport that is on the way to Cortina. We will be renting a car and more than likely too tired to drive all the way to Cortina. Any advise is appreciated, especially any towns that are better than others. Thanks, Ron
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Hi
We stayed in the dolmites several years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. We stayed in a town called San Vito di Cadore. It was very nice, small with its own tourist office. We used the Michelin green guide and found a good drive from Bolzano to Cortina. Driving up the mountains, we hit some snow and it was very cold. From there we drove back to Vienna and we did not hit anymore snow. It was one of the nicest drives we've ever taken. The scenary is beautiful, the drive back to Austria was also.During our trip we also stayed in Bolzano and Merano. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Hi aeiger,My husband wishes to go to the Dolomites for a week or more, to do some walking around. Do you think that San Vito would be a good choice. Did you stay a few days there?
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Hi ronjohn, I was responding to your question earlier today and my internet connection went down.

Ronjohn, I would suggest that you drive from the Marco Polo Airport to the serene and delightful small city (population of about 36,000) of Congeliano.

Congeliano is about a one hour drive from the airport and is just off to the road to Cortina. In fact I have friends that live in Congeliano that have a second home in Cortina which they go to in winter and in summer.

I like the hotel Canond'Oro. It is on the Via Settembre, the lovely antique street going through Congeliano. Their website is http://www.hotelcanondoro.it./intro.html

A nice superior room with a Jacuzzi bathtub will be about 125€ They have a breakfast room, a terrace in front for hotel guest where you can be served drinks (do have the Congeliano Prosecco refreshing wine), a dining room and a lounge. There are other restaurants all within walking distance. The Via Settembre is lovely to walk along, a nice thing to do after a long flight. The hotel will show you where to park.

Depending what time you get there you could drive up the windy road to see the Castle of Congeliano which overlooks Congeliano, the gardens and the view of the valley looking toward the Dolomites. Quite lovely! Best regards.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:41 AM

'Are most attractions and or facilities open?'

Ron - It depends where you stay. Many of the lifts in the Dolomites close by mid/late September - and hotels likewise.

A few lifts stay open later in the Alpe di Siusi/ Gardena area - as well as the biggies such as Lagazuoi & Sass Pordoi.

For lift closing dates see:

Gardena/Siusi:
http://www.valgardena.it/eng/page65.html

Alta Badia/Pordoi:
http://www.altabadia.org/summer/cont...L=3&P=4864

Cortina:
http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortin.../impianti.html

I probably wouldn't choose Cortina in late Sept.

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Loveitaly: Thanks for the advise, Is late September still OK?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi Graziella5b.
We were there several years ago. We spent a couple of days there before going on the Vienna. To me it was a very nice town. Had a supermarket, tourist office, and restaurants. we enjoyed staying there. I would check out some of the up to date guidebooks for current information. My Michelin guide says there are good walking paths in the area. Enjoy your trip. We enjoyed our trip to the Dolomites.