Doing business in London

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Maurice Hazan

Doing business in London

I am going to London on a business trip pretty soon and there is some information that I will need for this trip. I need to know about the communication styles in London. Also, if I can get help with London's Non-verbal communication as well as the business culture in London and how that is different from the way it is in the US. It is very important that I know this information to make this trip better. I have never been to London, so when I am there, I want to do well from a business standpoint. Any inoformation on ways to do business I would appreciate.
Thanks a lot
Maurice

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Ellen

If you don't mind spending a little bit for a detailed report on business practices and styles, you could check out this site:

http://www.worldbiz.com/

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Thanks

Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Thanks

But they charge you for it!

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:20 AM
J Scott

I am from Minneapolis and have lived and worked in England for 15 years. The business culture gap between the US and UK is even wider than the humor gap! (And _that's_ saying something!)

But the US-UK culture gap is much narrower in northern England than in southern England, so it depends on where you plan to do business.

No-one will be able to quickly teach you to read their communication signals. But the good news is, you don't have to worry about it! The English know a lot more about American culture than we know about them. They get a lot of our TV shows here and, of course, most of the movies they see are American ones.

They also encounter a lot of Americans in business and elsewhere. They don't expect us to act British, and (contrary to popular belief - and unlike the French) most of them still _like_ us and admire our technology, generosity, etc.

Here are a few tips, though, that might help you:

1) The British spend more time chit-chatting before discussing business matters, and they make business decisions much more slowly. And they don't like to be touched (No patting, please; we're British!), except to shake hands upon departing and _sometimes_ when being introduced. (Wait for them to extend a hand for shaking and you'll know whether to bother to or not.)

2) They don't usually discuss business over meals, especially not breakfast. Meals are for socializing, for oiling the relationships in business, not for cutting deals over.

3) Most British business suffers from absolutely suicidal short-term thinking, and SMEs are usually under-financed.

4) In England, to "table" something is to put it _on_ the agenda, not set it aside.

5) Going "over the top" (OTT) is a _bad_ thing here. It means to go too far, to overdo something, to cross the bounds of propriety, good taste, etc. - not to succeed at something challanging.

6) Brits will probably appear to be hard to sell to. They will raise objections, possible flaws, worst scenarios, etc. when making any decision or responding to any idea or proposal. They don't see this as cowardice, but as wisdom. (They often see it as normal conversation!)

This "paralysis of analysis" is endemic to British culture, and it really pisses Americans off, usually. But you'll just have to be patient with it. You won't be able to change them.

So be prepared to field numerous challenging questions and to provide solutions to possible pit-falls when presenting any proposal.

Brits will take what you say very literally, so be modest and be sparing with exaggeration, even if you're trying to be humorous.

Otherwise, just be yourself. They will probably like you, even if you can't manage to be very self-deprecating!

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:21 AM
J Scott

I forgot:
If you like cocktails, carry copies of the recipes with you in England. Most barmen won't know how to make them, but they'll happily follow a recipe!

And don't order steak over here. You'll be disappointed.

PS: Don't tell Brits things are over here are "quaint". They hate that.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:23 AM
business

Certain things to watch out for. Americans are very wary about owning up to a mistake. In the UK, admit that you have made an error and people will help you sort it out. Trying to cover up or pass the buck will infuriate people. Beware the false positive. In my experience, if you tell a Briton that you want something by Monday he might suck his teeth and say, "Sorry, I can't possible get it to you by Monday, I can do it by Friday." He'll then get it to you by Wednesday. An American will say, "Sure, I'll get it to you by Monday." If you nag him constantly, you will get it by Friday.

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:58 PM
James

J Scott's advice is great. I have to agree with everything he said, and it's pretty comprehensive.

I'd have to disagree with "business", however. It's been my experience that a Brit will tell you he'll get it to you on Friday, and then you won't hear anything about it again until you ask on Monday where it is. Then you might get it by the following Friday, if you're lucky.