Reload this Page >

Doing a home exchange in Almere

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:37 PM
xxxx

Doing a home exchange in Almere,any information is helpful. I am leaving on Thursday night. Thanks

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
xxx

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue about the location of Almere?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:51 AM
Jen

Are you looking for information about Almere or about home exchanges? <BR><BR>For home exchanges it helps to leave very explicit instructions (in simple English in your case) about EVERYTHING: operating appliances (include details about laundry and especially dishwasher detergent), neighbors, contact info, who to call in emergencies, who will pay for telephone long-distance charges (and how to figure out whether a call IS long-distance), yard maintenance, etc. etc.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:25 AM
xxx

I am doing the home exchange this week but wanted to find out more about the area. Just found this forum and decided to ask about Almere.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Eye Spy

Do you mean Almere Haven in the Dutch (polder) province of Flevoland? It's about a 20 minute drive from the center of Amsterdam.<BR><BR>It's a rather modern place with rather non-descript housing but you can take the train to Amsterdam. I'm not fond of Almere personally but you're not far from Amsterdam and can take an afternoon to visit the castle at Muiderslot that is interesting. The area between Almere and Amsterdam is called (in Dutch) 'Het Gooi" and there are nice small roads to drive on to different towns and villages and see your typical windmall and black and white spotted cow in the pasture and tiny moats all around the pastureland.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
xxx

Thank you for the information I am going because the price is right and it was the closest I could get to Amsterdam. The railway station is Almere. I plan on going into Amsterdam during the day and returning home at night. I did not want to rent a car and was going to use public transportation. Any other thoughts?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Eye Spy

I know Amsterdam very well as my parents are from there.<BR><BR>My first suggestion: be careful on the trains going home at night if it is dark. A lot of hooligans can hang around so move into a car where there is some company. Be vigilant of yourself and your belongings.<BR><BR>That being said, going into town during the day and returning at night is a good plan. Everyone speaks English. You don't have to ask. If you begin to speak English, no one will be offended or surprised and answer you right back. So you needn't be shy.<BR><BR>The NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen - the Dutch railroad) has an informative website when it doesn't crash your computer: www.ns.nl. In the center of the screen you will see "English." Click on it. You can find out approximate travel times for going into the city and going home and the fare (1st or 2nd class). The train system is very very reliable and on time so don't' forget your departure time.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:22 AM
Eye Spy

Part II<BR><BR>That being said, I'd suggest you get off at Amsterdam Centraal, the central station (Amsterdam Amstel is far from the center). You can walk out the main entrance of the Centraal and you'll see all the streetcars ('trems') to your left and right. My suggestion is for you to take the Number 9 (to your left) or the 16 which will take you in front of Dam Square or take the Number 1 or 2 to your right upon exiting the station. Take either the 1 or the 2 to the Dam or to the Koningsplein (two stops further). You'll be in the center of the town, the Leidsestraat which is closed to traffic (only trems can go through). Just walk around the canals and bridges. Be vigilant of silent bike riders - don't get bumped.<BR><BR>You probably will want to visit the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum (State Museum). Find out when they are closed. I believe the Rijksmuseum is closed on Wednesday. They can both be visited in one day if you are willing as they are within walking distance of the other. The Van Gogh has his "Sunflowers," "Potato Eaters" etc. The Rijksmuseum has the greatest collection of Rembrandts anywhere in the world and other famous Dutch artists.<BR><BR>For the trems, buy a "Strippenkaart" which you can buy in any Tabak (cigarette store) or at the train station. The price is clearly at the top of the card. Do not purchase them from people in the street. Only purchase them from an official vendor and if in doubt, just ask in a shop where you can get one. When you get into the trem, you pay for each zone plus 1 additional strip. The Strippenkaart I like to purchase has 15 strips on it. For example, if you are traveling in 1 zone, take the new Strippenkaart and stamp the 2nd strip (remember 1 zone per strip + 1 additional strip to make it 2). This rule is fine for the city center where you will be. The zone map is clearly posted in the streetcars and buses. You can hop on and off in that zone (transfer) for about 90 minutes I believe. Do not board a trem without a valid ticket. They are getting very stringent in Holland now and you'll get a hefty fine and the added embarrassment. I've seen this happen many times to English and American tourists. You can use the Strippenkaart on all buses and streetcars in Holland BUT NOT ON THE RAILROAD unless you are traveling WITHIN AMSTERDAM's city limits - since you are in Almere, this doesn't apply to you. You'll have to purchase train tickets separately but inquire at the station in Almere if you have time and ask them if there might be something cheaper than purchasing tickets each day for the time you are there.<BR><BR>If you have time, visit Anne Frank's house too, walk past Dam Square - Royal Palace (not worth a visit inside), the New Church right adjacent to the Palace and then up the Kalverstraat towards the Mint Tower (Munt) with a slight detour through the Begijnhof which you will read about in all travel guides. You can take a "Rondvaart" boat cruise that last about an hour through the canals and harbor with multilingual tour guides (tip about 2 Euro at end of trip).<BR><BR>I hope this helps. One last bit of advice: always bring a small fold-up umbrella in Holland. The weather changes within 20 minutes and you might get caught in a downpour even though the sun might be shining when you get up. Remember that.<BR><BR>Any more questions, just post them here. I hope this helps you a bit.<BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:07 PM
xxx

Thanks for your help. The train station nearest the home is Almere Parkwijk. It was a long way from the airport. The &quot;Strippenkaart&quot; is a little confusing but I think when I get there it will be easier. I saw people buy some. I will go to the museums tomorrow. I will keep you posted so you can give me more valuable advice.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Eye Spy

I hope you are having a great trip! Let me know about how are you doing. If you go to the Rijksmuseum, find out which day it is closed. I believe it's closed on Wednesdays but can no longer remember.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:31 AM
XXX

Hi bored,<BR>Sunday morning the wind and rain were bad but I still wanted to go out Sunday so I treked to downtown Amsterdam. The wind was bad and so was the rain but I figured this was normal weather. I could barely walk across the street without the wind and the rain knocking me down. I got back to the train station and no trains were running at all! There was no way to get home. It took me 3 hours to get home and I HAD NO IDEA HOW TO get there. I had to get a cab. My day was a nightmare. I did see the Van gogh museum but do not know if it was worth it. Today I was a little run down so I went to Almere Centraal. Tomorrow who knows where I will go. <BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Eye Spy

As you can tell, I am still bored at work but more concerned you don't seem to be having fun! While true many shops are closed on Sundays all over Europe, it's still a great time to go and see the sights (unless, of course, you are stuck in the rain!). See: I am glad you followed my advice about the umbrella. Seriously, there is no reason for you to have had to take a cab all the way to Almere. The trains do run even on a reduced Sunday schedule, but they do run. Be sure to get information at the NS &quot;loket&quot; (the window) in any trainstation about train times or look at the big boards posted on the platforms. If you go into Amsterdam each day, you will get a feel right away about the train schedules. Try to see if after Amsterdam, you can take the train to the Hague (Den Haag or 's-Gravenhage in more polite jargon); lots of interesting streets and you can visit the famous &quot;Mauritshuis&quot; picture gallery and see the Binnenhof of the government and the Knights Hall (Ridderzaal). Leiden which is between Amsterdam and Den Haag is very charming: lots of students (premier Dutch university is there) and the streets are lovely. Pictureseque countryside from the train and travel time is quite short. You can visit the Pilgrims' church in Leiden (they stayed in Leiden before sailing on the Mayflower). If you don't know what to do, ask at the trainstation for the VVV office (Dutch tourist office). If you are in Amsterdam, the main VVV is right opposite the Centraal Station. When you walk out of the main entrance, look for the big &quot;VVV&quot; sign in front of you. You might have to line up, but it goes quickly. They will have information on anything and everything in Amsterdam and Holland. Also, try to get to Muiderslot castle not far from Almere -- the bus runs there and it's an interesting place. Go out for Indonesian food and order a &quot;rijstafel&quot; if you are very hungry or &quot;nasi rames&quot; or &quot;bami rames&quot; -- delicious. Keep me posted, please!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:05 AM
XXX

Dear Bored,<BR>This is why I had problems, the trains, buses and trams were closed for hours! Quotes from Cnn.Uk, :<BR>At least four people were killed in the Netherlands, including a man killed by a falling tree while walking his dog in the eastern town of Enschede, and a 77-year-old man who lost his footing and died when he fell into a fence in the town of Hilversum. <BR><BR> <BR>A tree is uprooted and blown onto railings outside the Natural History Museum, London <BR> <BR>The wind blew out panes of glass from the roof of Amsterdam's central train station and onto the platforms below, prompting police to close the platform area.&quot;&quot; <BR><BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Eye Spy

I apologize. I did not know about the extreme weather in Holland and just read on the Telegraaf newspaper website that it is estimated there is approximately 500 Million Euro in damage. It seems that southwest wind was quite strong. Too bad this happened and also on your trip.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Eye Spy

On the Nederlandse Spoorwegen website, unused train tickets issued on Sunday are also valid on Monday on account of the storm.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:45 AM
xxx

Thanks Eye,<BR>I exchanged my ticket for one to Rotterdam, we took a Spido tour of the harbor and saw the Kijk-Kubus houses. IT was an architecturaly interesting city. We did not have time to do anything more. Went to the Rijksmuseum on SAturday. The art work was amazing very different from Van Gogh. May do Den Haag later in the week. Is Haarlem worth it? We are trying to decide what to do tomorrow. Time flys on vacation. The Eurostar is still not working. <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Eye Spy

Great you saw Rotterdam. Too bad it was so severely bombed in 1940 from the Germans (another reason NEVER to purchase ANYTHING with the Krups or Braun label). Haarlem is a a very nice town -- they speak the purest Dutch there. The Frans Hals museum is there; lots of paintings (he was from Haarlem). Gouda, Leiden and Delft are all picturesque as well -- the Zaanse Schans in Zaandam as well (ask about that at the trainstation counter). You may want to go to Apeldoorn in Gelderland province in the East and visit the royal palace Het Loo which is wonderful: www.hetloo.nl (click on British flag to the left on the home page). It's pronounced: Het 'low.' It's an easy day trip with the train. Perhaps you can get a reduced admission at the NS ticket counter in the station -- be sure to ask! They have a folder with tons of daytours in which the price of the train tickets is included! Keep me posted and keep your umbrellas and scarves with you -- there's always a breeze in Holland at noon. In winter it comes in from Siberia via Scandinavia.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:44 AM
xxx

Bored,<BR>I went to Haarlem today, the weather was beautiful. I bought a walking tour map of the area. I walked around for a few hours and loved it. It reminded me of Brugges. I ate in the Grote MArkt. When I reached Amsterdam, I took a canal cruise which was lovely. I think tomorrow I will visit Leiden and Gouda. I am supposed to be in london on Saturday but I am unsure how I will get there. I may take the ferry from Hoek van Holland. My Dad thinks your posts are great.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Eye Spy

See! I knew you would like Haarlem. Did you go into the Sint Bavo kerk and see the beautiful organ? It's very famous in Holland. Tomorrow go to Leiden. It's a nice town and full of students and little row houses. Try to get to the Pilgrims' church. You'll be going through the typical Dutch countryside of windmills and black and white cows and sheep in the fields. You can do Gouda as well that day. The town hall in Gouda is really nice: it is white and has red awnings all around it. Don't forget to have some Gouda cheese when you are there (self evident): I forget where the museum is where you can take a cheese tour. If you are going to London on Saturday, I think you should think about flying. Try www.easyjet.com. You'll be wasting too much travel time from Hoek van Holland to get to the British Isles. One way to London Gatwick from Amsterdam is only 87 Euro. Post what you saw in Leiden and Gouda tomorrow; I'll check late afternoon! If you are not sure about flights, go into a &quot;Reisbureau&quot; anywhere. The staff will speak English. I'm sure you are having no language difficulties.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 01:51 PM
xxx

Getting me here was a big enough project. I hate to FLY!!!!! I will update you tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -