Search

Dogs on Trains

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dogs on Trains

Hi there---I will be travelling in France by train over the next few months with my dog. I've read that dogs have to wear muzzles when on trains...is this true? Please share your canine-train experiences with me if you can!
Thanks!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Bootman4U

You might want to go to the SNCF site for possible "offical" answers which would include how much you have to pay, if any..half fare perhaps
www.sncf.com
Personally, if you were traveling on the same day I was the little doggie could stay with me the whole time..I'd be glad to babysit him/her...good luck.

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:57 AM

None of the dogs I have seen on trains have been muzzled. Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a rule! The French are notoriously independent that way.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:19 AM

The "official" response is that dogs must be muzzled. When your purchase the ticket for your dog from the SNCF it is written on the front of the ticket.

I have traveled with my dog which is about the size of a cocker at least 15 times and have never had her muzzled nor have I had anyone say anything. I have also seen many dogs on trains and only once saw a muzzle on a bulldog.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I live in France and have never had to muzzle my (medium size mutt). You will need to buy a ticket for your dog if it is over a certain size, but I forget what it is. Mine is 10 kg and he does need a ticket. There are a few trains dogs are not allowed, be sure to ask (Eurostar does not allow them I dont think).

The only problem I have run into is that if traveling alone, there might not be enough room for your dog depending on the configuration of the seats and the size of your dog. On the TGV i was sitting in a 2 facing 2 type of seat (reserved) and there was no way my dog could have stayed on the floor without sitting on other peoples feet. He happily sat on my lap for the 2 hour ride but don't think that would have lasted much longer, for him or me!

Have a great time!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure about the policy. But on the train (4 hours) from Paris to Strasbourg a guy brought onboard a very well-behaved dog without a muzzle.