Search

Dogs in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dogs in Paris

My husband and I are taking our mini-daschund with us to Paris in a few weeks. We're getting her micro-chipped and all shots up to date.

Has anyone had an issue with bringing a dog into France?

Also, on a lighter note, is it REALLY that common to see dogs in restaurants? I'd be delighted to be able to take her to dinner one night.

Any tips would be appreciated!

FG
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I don't know how common it is, but I have seen dogs in Paris restaurants.
It is a dog friendly place.
Just watch where you walk!!

We were eating in a retaurant when one of the regulars came in. He had a seat on the floor at the end of the bar, woofed to place his order, and received his meal from the head waiter.
He ate quickly, and left.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Yes, you can dogs to many restaurants, if not all. We take our dog with us on all our overnight trips to Paris.
Tip: pick up the Michelin red guide to Paris restaurants and hotels. The guide will let you know which restaurants don't accept dogs (you can usually assume a dog is welcome unless you see the no dog symbol in the restaurant info).
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I was surprised by how well-trained the dogs in Paris are. I have seen them frequently in restaurants, but they are so well behaved that you would not know they were there unless you saw them.

In the US, the only dogs I have seen that are that well trained are guide dogs.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Yes, how do they do that? My dog would be begging--even though we don't feed him from the table.
The Tin Shed in Portland Oregon now serves specially cooked doggie meals in their outside eating area.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM

My dog would only beg to be petted..I think he might be very happy in Paris
We have taken him to cafes all over NYC and here in Fl, so he knows to lie down and not bother people while we eat. I wish I could take him with me to Paris...sigh.
Maybe if I ask our "neighbor" - John Travolta, he has a big airplane, we can all fly in the cabin together ((&amp)
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM

You will see dogs in cafes and restaurants but they are very well mannered- no barking or begging. They will curl up under their owner's table and wait for the meal to end. However, in a small neighborhood bistro, we noticed an older couple on a banquette with their Yorkie sitting between them and taking occasional tidbits of the husband's chicken.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:10 PM

I brought my dog from the US to France when I moved here. I followed the instructions of the airlines and got all the paperwork. They checked it all when I checked in. When I got to France, I got my dog and we walked through customs nothing to declare area lol. No one even blinked. No questions asked whatsoever.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:41 AM

Many dogs under the tables and yes, in some restaurants in France as well as Monte Carlo we have seen dogs sitting next to their owners enjoying the meal.

It is an entirely different outlook from the US where animals are generally barred from restaurants for "public health" concerns.

We have found tghat, in general, the Europeans love their animals and don't seem to mind if you pay special attention to them as well.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM

Where are you travelling from? I take it that you're only going on a trip to Paris and not to live? If so, why are you putting your dog through the ordeal of travelling all that way? Long haul flights are bad enough for adults so hardly fair for a dog unless it's a permanent move...

If I've got the wrong end of the stick then I apologise in advance.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Yes, it's really common to see dogs in restaurants and generally out-and-about.
I live in Provence and have three dogs. They take turns going to dinner with us, to the market to see their "friends", etc.

Dogs used to be allowed in grocery stores, bakeries, butchers, etc., but that's rarely the case now.

I'm sure yours will enjoy her visit to Paris.

PB
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM

I've seen dogs in cafes and restaurants also. When we were at Cafe des Deux Magots a labrador was there too. Very well-behaved!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I know I will be hated for this but can't you leave home without your pets? Hopefully you have your paperwork because I can't imagine you to just bring your pet into the country.

Also what will you do when the dog has to do "his business" on the plane? I wouldn't want to be in the seat next to you nor do i think it should be done in the humans rest room.

Also, I like the American rule-- NO DOGS IN RESTAURANTS. I don't care how behaved they are.

Reminder - Dogs are animals.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I only object when pets are subjected to the baggage area for long flights.
I've smelled smelly people on planes, so pets aren't any worse. I'd rather have a small dog in a carrier next to me than a woman wearing Obsession/Poison/whatever.
Most dogs in French restaurants could go completely unnoticed.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Reminder--people are animals, too.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Personally, I love the idea that dogs are allowed in most restaurants, etc. If they are well behaved, what's the big deal?

What I don't like is subjecting the dogs to long flights in cargo, unless it is for a permanent move. I would welcome any dog in the cabin with me.

Going to Paris a few weeks ago there were little kids in the cabin who smelled worse than doggie poop. The parents didn't bother to even change the diapers until one of the flight attendants asked them to.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Relax, Tallulah. Small pets must remain in their little bags under the seat during the flight. It isn't like one will drool on you or anything.

US Airways doesn't allow them in the cabin on transatlantic flights. Delta doesn't list Europe as a destination under their rules. Continental and United may allow it - their website says to call a 1-800# for information. There is an extra fee to carry them on any airline.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Yes but why can't they just be left at home?! It must be horrible for them on a plane. And as for being shoved in a bag under the seat....?!?! Quite ridiculous!
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I agree Tallulah, my dog gets very agitated on a 2 hour car journey, dread to think what she would be like at the end of a transatlantic flight in the hold. Do Vets agree with this?

Alas however, she has never learned obedience so probably wouldn't do well in a Paris restaurant.

Richard,we humans are animals also and I would prefer my dog to many people I have encountered!!
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Yes, one will see dogs in cafes and restaurants in Paris and throughout France. But how about this: One night after some rather hefty wine hoisting I stumbled to a restaurant not too far from the Moulin Rouge called “Le Haut Chien.”

Imagine my chagrin when I turned to the waitress to discover that, indeed, she WAS a dog. A dog and a half, nearly! In fact, the whole place was staffed by highly intelligent canines. The chef was a strapping big Mastiff. His wife, a petite Pomeranian (don’t ask!) offered me a simply stunning plate of kibble and biscuits and I washed it all down with a sparkling bottle of Terrier water. At least I think that’s what she said it was.

In addition they specialized in American Deep South cuisine and on subsequent nights we enjoyed hush puppies smothered in gravy train. It was enough to make me howl at the moon. Someone said the police dogs were coming so I decided that it would be wise of me to flea.

Turns out the whole shebang is owned by a consortium of German Shepard's from Berlin. Who knew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -