Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does too much information cause us to over plan and over worry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed lately a lot of topics here about people worrying about things they can't possibly control (such as strikes on the tube or weather). Are we all worrying too much about our travel because we have too much information available?

My first solo trip to London was planned on the spur of the moment -- I was in London seven days after I decided to go. I did no research, simply booked my tickets and hotel using Expedia. I had a marvelous time and, even in hindsight, got very good rates on the air fare and hotel. I bought a Streetwise map and a guide book (not sure but think it was Rick Steves) and just went. This was a wonderful trip and I had a marvelous time.

I've taken three more solo trips since then (one to Paris, one to London and Paris, and another to London). I find that I do more planning (although not nearly as much as others here) but along with the planning, a lot more stressing about it than that first trip. Anyone else have similar experience?
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Well, I certainly do more and more planning for each trip. But stressing? No, I think the more I plan, the less I stress. But then I always approach my plans as just that -- plans -- not "these things must happen" written in stone!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Not in my humble opinion. Glad your fly by the seat method worked, but lack of planning often leads (a) to confusion or (b) a bad vacation (how many stories have we heard on this board where travel companions who don't do any planning are difficult and/or miserable). Planning to some degree is simply smart. Unless you have unlimited travel time, you do not want to spend your vacation planning it. If you have some general ideas of what you want to do, where those things are located, how much they cost and when they are open, you are more likely to have a "fuller" vacation. You don't have to fill up every minute, but during my "down" time on vacation, I don't want to have to be scouring (sp) my guidebook to find out what I want to do next. All that said, there is a lot of information, which can be paralyzing, but I'd rather suffer that paralysis at home!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Really, I think it's a personality thing.
My first trip abroad (to Greece) I did what I thought was a lot of planning, but still found lots of gaps in my information (what was open and closed on which days, advice like don't climb up the Acropolis at midday in summer, etc)

Second trip was a air and hotel package to Paris, and I didn't investigate the hotel location, and we were disappointed. We still had a great trip, but didn't care for the hotel location. The metro did go on strike on that trip; we took buses and walked and since our stamina and health weren't a problem we were fine. If we had been elderly or infirm, that might have been problematic, even though out of our control.

The internet is a godsend for compulsive planners, but yes, all that information can be burdensome. That's why I've set up file documents on the places I've visited or plan to visit.
As new information is picked up, or as something becomes outdated, I just add or delete.

I actually find that the more I travel, the less I worry. I've already experienced canceled flights, 8 extra hours spent in the airport, strikes, very bad hotel, hotel locked up and closed for the night upon my arrival, illness, a loss of a wallet, bad weather.
I feel that, armed with my research, I can cope with almost anything.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Like much in life, it's a matter of balance and individual personalities.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:11 AM
ira

Hi carroll,

It is somewhat easier to do things on the spur of the moment if you are going solo.

When traveling with others, I have found that a good plan is very useful. One can always leave things out, but it is hard to know what to add.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah Ira -- that's another thing I'm glad for. I had actually postponed making that first trip because I didn't have anyone to travel with. When I just decided to go and bought the ticket on the spur of the moment, I no longer had time to worry about going by myself. Turned out to be the BEST decision I ever made -- I discovered how liberating and enjoyable it is to travel all by myself and not have to worry about anyone else.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I always find it easier to make changes and be flexible, if I have a lot of information.
besides, even thought I do travel several times a year now. I am still basically an armchair traveller, and enjoy the planning as much as the trip itself. I drift to so many
other interesting sites and subjects while planning... it is great fun.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 07:12 AM

The planning enhances my experience, the anticipation. That said, I am flexible. I don't find I'm crushed or disappointed if an idea "planned" doesn't come about. Besides, then I figure Ill just have tongo back!!!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 07:15 AM

For me, planning is half the fun. I'd feel cheated if I didn't get to do it. My husband doesn't like to do any of the planning, but we enjpoy the same activities, so we're perfect travel partners.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Much depends on where you go. When I go to the desert and do the spa thing, I make no plans and don't bother with an itinerary. When I go to Paris or Rome, or any city that fascinates me, I plan, simply because there WILL BE certain things I won't want to miss.

I have a dear friend who dislikes schedules. We don't travel together unless the trip is designed for relaxation. Planning is personality driven and I happen to enjoy the process and the focus on detail. It has nothing to do with being smart but more to do with taking advantage of opportunity and feeding the art historian within.

Worry is another subject and something I rarely do.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I'm in the group that loves the planning. I like to start months ahead of time so I can read the travel books, as well as the history and fiction from the area.
I'm very grateful to have stumbled across this message board. The wealth of experience here has been wonderful. We are planning a trip to Great Britain in the spring and I haven't had to post one question. It's all been answered before I even thought to ask.
I want to thank all of you.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Since I wrote the Tube Strike 12/24 message that caused people to respond in such an attacking manner, "lighten up" "chill out" "relax" "don't travel unless you can accept this news" I must respond to yours now. Since my college days, I (now an elementary school teacher) save up my hard-earned money to take a nice trip to Europe or elsewhere every year. I find most of my information on the internet, and sites like Fodors, where I can get immediate feedback to my questions. When I travel by myself or with my husband, I EASILY accept changes in the weather, currency rates and even transportation plans; however, when I take a friend who is much less experienced in travelling, I do feel frustration when things cause major changes in my plans. I felt these pains this trip because it will be Christmas anyway and I have prepaid several day trips which are greatly affected by any strikes. My budget is not unlimited, so having to add hundreds more dollars in cab fare is not good news, and yes, causes stress. Usually, I flow with whatever comes along.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I also forgot to thank posters for helping me with my fabulous trip to Switzerland last Christmas!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Absolutely.

The only information I gather is personal experiences. Get enough of them for the place you are thinking about and you will be way ahead.

People will recommend web sites that can be helpful but I generally ignore them. It is good to have one written guide like Fodor's or Frommers and maps.

Prepare a travel outline of where you want to go. Then get transportation booked. Depending on time of year, location, then you can decide on hotels. I always book the initial stop in advance due to jet lag but otherwise wing it.

I certainly fantasize about where my wife and I will be going. That fantasy, however, does not include were I should be at 3:05 p.m. on June 20.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

SueTeach1, sorry, it wasn't meant to be an attack against you, just used it as an example.

And, by the way, I'm also guilty of obsessing and worrying just before a trip (except for that wonderful unplanned solo trip). I worry if I'm taking the right clothing -- too much or not enough or not the right stuff; hotel -- did I choose the right one, did I pay too much for this particular one, am I in the right zone, should I change it at the last minute, should I try for cheap rate on Priceline; air fare -- I usually don't worry once I buy the ticket because it's usually non-refundable but I do worry if I'll be seated in front of the kids kicking the seat back the whole time or if I'll have unpleasant people sitted next to me or if I'll be able to recline my seat to sleep without the person in back of me complaining; itinerary -- actually, other than where I'm going and travel arrangements, I make a general list of things I might do while I'm there and research those and then don't worry until I get up each day and decide what to do.

And I do enjoy reading the info posted here from my fellow travellers. I just think maybe sometimes, we should all lighten up.

Some things we can't change, no matter how much we worry or discuss them. And I think there are very few things that are personal (especially weather and tube strikes) so to get upset spoils it somewhat. But, on the other hand, one should always have a contingency plan of some sort to compensate...just don't get upset because you have to implement it.

(And by the way -- I really am very guilty of the obsessive worry/overplanning. I planned a trip to the British Countryside for Apr 01 and made reservations at a B&B on a farm, planned my complete itinerary, etc. Then Hoof and Mouth hit. I panicked and cancelled, losing a couple hundred on the B&B, etc. In hindsight, I realize how stupid that was -- I would have had a marvelous trip had I gone anyway but I gave in to the hysteria that kept many others away. I missed a great vacation. On the other hand, I went to Paris in stead (with little prior planning) and had a great time.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 10:21 AM

i love to make plans ...and then react when the plans fall apart, but the more information i get, the better i am able to react. enjoy
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Carolldf, you raise an interesting question. Does information cause anxiety or does it alleviate it? I agree there are things we can't control, but we can plan to have a controlled reaction to these things. For example, just because we might not be able to prevent fire breaking out in a building, still less put it out, doesn't mean we shouldn't collect information beforehand about the fire exits. On a less drastic but similar theme, we might not be able to prevent a rail strike, but we can think through a few things that might be useful in the event that one happens (more money, for one; your hotel booking for that night might just be history.) Unless you believe that your luck will always be more reliable than your management skills, a good plan doesn't cause panic, it's the remedy to same.

Sueteach1, I do get alarmed sometimes at the thought that the bar for what is an acceptable worry to reveal on Fodor's is getting raised to a dizzyingly high height. If people are afraid of leaving home, say because they have a fear of flying or terrorism, they will likely get many impatient responses ("don't be silly&quot. But if they are afraid of having made an expensive travel mistake, they are told by some they are silly because they did leave home ("stay home if you didn't like Paris or Belgium or whatever.&quot What this tells me is that if you hope to please everyone on the Fodor's board, all of the time, you had best figure out, among other things, how to leave home and stay home, simultaneously.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Like abram I get a great deal of fun out of the planning. Without it, I don't think it would be worth the expense.

My careful planning and itinerary have made my trips much smoother, particularly the couple of times I was running late for the theater in London or the time I got on the wrong subway line in Paris.

My notes (including which subways to take and where to change) made all the difference in the world.

Keith
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I love to investigate and gather information on places I am going to visit.
But planning? No.
I make an outline of places I want to see and opening days and times which I use as a guide.

I wake up and we (or I) plan the same day, while sipping coffee and looking at the notes.

I am structured in my daily working life, so the point of a vacation for me is to be free at last, OMG I am free at last!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -