We are planning on a 18 day trip (from May 17th to June 4th) to France,
Switzerland and Italy.

I have been looking at the posting/messages on this forum for several days
now and I decided to post my itinerary today.Here is an earlier post from
me which didnt get any response.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34756707

I dont know if any of you got a chance to see this posting so I am providing
the link to it here again.

we plan to visit the cities below (excludes flight time into and out of europe)

Rome - 2 days
Venice - 2 days (includes travel Rome to venice - 5 hours (eurail))
Florence - 2 days (includes travel Venice to Florence - 3 hrs(eurail))
Interlaken - 3 days (includes travel Florence to Interlaken - 7 hrs(eurail))
Luzern - 2 days
Nice - 3 days (includes travel from luzern to Nice - Flight from Geneva to Nice)
Paris - 4 days (includes travel from Nice to Paris - 5 hours (eurail))

we are also in the process of booking hotels and checked of few of the hotels like Hotel Raffaello , Marcus and few more but either they are full too costly.

we are about to make a reservation at Hotel
We had the trip of a lifetime last July to Canadian Rockies thanks to all you Fodorites, and I know you won't let me down with this trip!

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, Before I could complete what I was typing, I accidentally pressed the wrong key.

I wanted to add the following to my previous post....

we are booking HOTEL BOLOGNA ( I know its not in heart of venice but just 10 mins train time to heart of venice) for our 2 nights stay in venice and Hotel residenza Procolsolo for 2 nights at Venice.

we need recommendation for hotel in Rome. Can any body give us some names of hotels near Travi fountion or any place that will not take more than 10 mins travel time to the main attractions. our budget is 100$ to 170$

Thanks
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:41 PM

I'm not sure why you're going from Rome to Venice, then backtracking to Florence...I'd go to Florence (about 2 hours from Rome to Florence), then continue on to Venice (another couple of hours on the train) and continue beyond.

You could shave a day off of Florence and Venice (or skip Nice...Why are you going to Nice? Do you have relatives there?) and add those days to Rome. You won't regret it, but I can promise you, when you land in Rome and realize you only gave yourself two days, you'll be so, so sorry. The Vatican alone is worth the better part of a day, much less the Colisseum/Forum area (one full day), and all the wandering that must be done to see the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc.

I'd also skip Nice just to tack another day onto the Gem of Europe -- Paris.

Happy travels,

Jules

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM

If you want to stay in Rome for 2 people anywhere near the Trevi -- you'll be in the $170-$200 range. We stayed in a god-awful B&B near Trevi for $100 a night and I cannot in good conscience possibly recommend it to another Fodorite.

Jules
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Jules thanks for the reply.

The reason why we are backtracking to florence it that it is closer to Interlaken ( bernese Oberland area, which is 7.30 hours by eurail).

If we leave from Venice to Interlaken then we will be travelling for close to 12 hours. This was the main reason why we are thinking of going from ROme - Venice and then to Florence.

From the Eurail shcedule we couldnt see any route other than florence to interlaken faster than 7 /12 hours? well we are new to this area, any suggestion for fodorites who have traveled here more often is welcome . we prefer to use EURAIL is possible as we are buying a 6 day eurail pass.

Reason why we are going to NICE is to visit Cannes , Monaco and antibes.Just wanted to get a to see french riviera as this is our first trip to france. we dont have any relatives there. This is our first trip to europe and wanted to visit as many places as we can in 18 days but we dont want to tire ourselves either, so we are open to suggesions.

I have got a reply from HOTEL JULIA and they seem to have accomodations for 2 nights in May for 180Euro per night. I am still looking for hotels which costs less than this ( around 140Euros is fine). Any suggestions?
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM

This just reflects my preferences but I would cut out Interlaken and Luzern on this first trip to Europe. You have access to equally beautiful mountainous regions in North America and you will be amazed at the ancient cities of Rome, Florence, Venice and Paris.

I agree with Suze on the other post that starting in Rome, you should go to Florence before Venice as it is a couple of hours Rome to Florence and then about 3 to Venice. If you love the countryside, stay longer in Florence and take a day trip or two to see the famous countryside of Tuscany. I really think you need at least 3 full days in Venice to get to see the basics and get into the feel of the place. I would take the train from Venice to Nice and spend that night and two full days there. That lets you catch the local train to places like Antibes (20 mins) snd see a couple of other towns on the Cote d'Azur. I would give yourself as long as possible in Paris and definitely would try to have four full days there apart from the day part spent on the TGV to Paris from Nice.

I feel as if I am beginning to sound like a broken record with my hotel suggestion for Nice but it is the Hotel Windsor.

http://www.hotelwindsornice.com/

I referred to that hotel on a couple of threads in the last few days and others made hotel suggestions for Nice there too. I will "top" them as I cannot work out how to find the direct link without just sending you to the main Europe forum.

It would be a great help for those who would like to help you with hotel selections if you gave your hotel nightly budget in Euros. I also suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves guides to Italy and France for ideas of what to see. He is often criticised for one thing or another but he definitely tells you the main attractions in a place and how to get to them etc.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM

It all depends on what you like, but I think you spend too much time in Switzerland and not enough time in Italy. Rome deserves at least 3 full days, and Paris always deserves more days than you plan.

And overall, the amount of city-hopping you're doing would make for a very tiring trip. After a week, it gets very tiresome to have to keep repacking your things. If you can cut some cities from your trip I think you'll have a better time.

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM

No, it does not. Too many places across too much distance in too little time.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

we are actually flying into LONDON and spending 4 days there with relatives before we start our vacation and after we get back home we dont want to feel frustrated and exhausted. So we are thinking of eliminating few cities/places from our itinerary.

we did a 9 day trip to canadian rockies last year and it was a great trip and we both like nature and pictureque palces and thats the reason why we want to visit Swiss Alps.

After reading all the replies on both our posts we have decided to spend more time in ITALY we dont want to feel like we didnt get to feel the place after we get back home.

we are still in a dilemma as to what which place to cut, NICE or part of swiss??

would you recommend cutting out one of the cities in ITALY ( venice) and spend more time in Rome other wise and still keep NICE?
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM

To me it depends on whether you like train travel. I like the TGV trip from Nice to Paris and I enjoyed my train trip from Bologna to Nice too. You could cut out Nice and fly to Paris from Venice but I would still definitely delete Switzerland. It is very expensive to boot.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM

I agree you definitely need more time in Rome. Three days is the barest minimum, and even then it will be very rushed.

If I were you, I'd go from Rome to Florence, from Florence to Venice, and from Venice to Luzern (if you must) or, better, to Bern, which I find a more interesting city. From there you are already close to the Berner Oberland. But in either case, you can make the train trip from Venice to Luzern or Bern in around 7 hours.

Personally, I'd skip Nice. You've said how much you enjoy the mountains, and that's a good enough reason to keep Switzerland and cut Nice to add time to Rome and if possible Paris. The Berner Oberland will not disappoint. The train trip isn't bad from Switzerland to Paris, either.

Even with one less destination, this is still a very busy agenda, but not impossible if you are energetic folks. Just remember that you're sure to return, so don't try to see everything this time and end up not really seeing anything.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:33 AM

Whatever you do, don't cut VENICE! You'll love it.

I'm in the process of planning a trip in the fall and recently realized I was turning the itinerary into a pretzel trying to accommodate one outlying place. I think you may be doing the same, letting train schedules determine your itinerary.

If I had 18 nights I would allow more time to get to know each place. Here's a suggestion...and it eliminates the need for the Eurail pass.

Rome - 4 nights
Train to Florence - 3 nights
Train to Venice - 3 nights
(MyAir flight Venice - Paris Orly)
Paris - 5 nights
Train to Nice - 3 nights
Fly home from Nice.

Personally, I would cut it even more, taking off Nice and adding 1 day each to Rome, Paris, and Florence (to allow for day trips to Tuscany). Given travel time, you're still shortchanging Paris with only 4 full days. I assure you, you'll be wanting more when it's time to leave.

Rome deserves far more time than you're allowing. I don't know what you mean about the 10 minute walk to attractions. You can walk most places in that time, but the Vatican and Coloseum will take longer...or you can cab or use the metro. We broke our Vatican visits into two days and were glad we did: museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters one day; Scavi excavations tour another day.

Try this hotel in Rome. It's halfway between Trevi and Spanish Steps, an easy walk to anywhere in the historic center.
Ask if their terrace rooms will be available (they were doing construction when we were there in January).
Hotel Parlamento:
http://www.hotelparlamento.it/

In Florence, we loved Residenza Il Villino---very quiet, beautiful rooms, wonderful hospitality:
http://www.ilvillino.it/home.cfm

In Paris, you just can't beat the Bonaparte for a nice hotel with GREAT location. It's basic, not fancy. But we've stayed there twice and wouldn't stay anywhere else (unless we could afford the Plaza Athenee of course!).
It's reviewed on these boards many times. Just search for "Bonaparte and Paris".

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Hi wanderlust125,

Quite contrary to Faux, I love Switzerland and argue that its beauty is nothing like the Rockies. Yes, it's expensive, but I'll always be spending my hard-earned cash to see and experience the beauty & wonders of Switzerland.

Anyway -- just in case you're still considering keeping Switzerland, I wanted to tell you that there is a convenient night train that leaves Florence at 23.14 and arrives in Spiez at 07.48, where you change for your arrival in Interlaken Ost at 08.55. If you upgrade your pass to pay for reservations & a couchette, you should enjoy the trip.

By the way, "Eurail" is a marketing organization; each country's rail system has its own name. Also, Raileurope's website does not show all the trains that are available for each route. I usually use the Swiss rail website at www.rail.ch (use "Firenze" for Florence).

Good luck!

s
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. We decided to drop atleast two cities from our itinerary. We are yet to come up with a final itinerary as we are deciding between switzerland and Nice.

Is Switzerland going to be very cold in Mid may ?. (from what I read the temp are between 2-12 degrees centigrade, ofcourse colder as we go to higher altitudes). We dont want to go during a time when everything is closed or it is too cold. Rick steves mentions in his book that most places close during the last week of may and also the local trains do not run as this is low season before the start of summer. Is this a good time to go as this will help us decide between going to switzerland and spending more time in other cities.

Thanks again to all of you
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I'd suggest you stay in historic Venice. The train ride is only 10 minutes, but you do have to get tickets and catch the train first--twice a day. No, it won't take you hours to do this, but it isn't only 10 minutes either.

And the train doesn't actually take you to the heart of historic Venice, it takes you to the western edge of historic Venice, so you still have a bit of a hike or vaporetto ride to the real heart.

Also, Hotel Bologna's prices don't look to be that much different from what you can get in historic Venice.

With under 2 full days in Venice, I wouldn't waste 10 seconds a day.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Ditto to what Rufus said. If you're looking for something less expensive in Venice, the people on this board can help you find something. It's worth the hunt!

Haven't read this entire thread but Rome in two days is why so many people don't care for Rome. Settle in and enjoy it. I saw Rome in 2 days when I was quite young and didn't think I liked it. Now, much later, after several long visits, it is my absolute favorite city.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Whatever you do, enjoy your vacation.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM

If I wanted to go from Venice to Interlaken I would take an overnight train to Brig, an IC to Spiez, and a local to Interlaken. Depart Venice 10:52 PM arrive Brig 06:15 AM. Depart Brig 06:18 arrive Spiez 07:22. Depart Spiez 07:50 arrive Interlaken West 08:10, Interlaken Ost 08:13. This route has ladies only compartments.

Overnight trains in Europe are marvelous time and money savers. You pay 15 to 50 euros for a bunk. It is a no brainer. Sometimes a continental breakfast is included in first class. Some compartments have toilets and showers.

May is a good month to travel. Not as good as January, but excellent.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Darn cornfuter took over and sent before I could finish editing. Change last sentence to:

May is a good month to travel. Not as good as January, excellent, but still darn good because the Europeans have not yet hit the road. A few Americans are traveling in May, but hardly any in January.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM

You did start out with a busy itinerary, and I agree with others that you are wise to cut some destinations from this trip (tell yourself that you will go back).

But if you really enjoyed the Canadian Rockies, then you should try to keep Switzerland. I know that Florence, Venice and Rome are incomparable, but if everybody went there on their first trip to Europe, then what would be the use of travel planning! You are wise to consider what you like to do best on your vacation. (Though I love Florence, Venice and Rome, especially Rome.)

That being said, May would possibly be an iffy time to visit Switzerland (we've visited in late Aug. and early Sept). I've never been there in May, but I'm familiar with the U.S. Rockies at that time of year, and there is still snow up in the elevations, and the towns are relatively shut down for the time period in between the ski season and the summer hiking season. If you want to do any hiking or walking in Switzerland, then check into whether trails are generally open at that time of year.

Also, on Venice, I would strongly suggest to do what you can to stay IN Venice, especially if you like to walk around in the evening. The first time we went to Venice, as poor students, we stayed outside of Venice and took the bus in. It was heartbreaking to have to leave after dinner. Other trips, we've budgeted for hotels in Venice.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your response and suggestion. was busy with work and couldnt get back to you all.

We have decided to spend 9 days in Italy now.
Rome – 3 days, Venice 3 days and Florence 3 days ( includes a day trip to PISA).

will post our modified itinerary later tonight.

Rufus and Leely thanks for your suggestions.

In Venice we want to stay in HOTEL BOLOGNA as they have a very good deal if we stay for 3 nights.

Hotel Bologna has a promotional package: STAY 3 & PAY 2 NIGHTS and if we stay for 3 nights we just pay 99Euros for three days if we stay for 3 nights from May 21 ( less than 35 Euros a night) or pay 245 Euros if we stay between May 23 and May 25 which will be less than 85 Euros per night. This hotel seems to be nice and I got to know about this hotel and promotion from a recent post on this forum.

Do you think we can get a decent hotel for comparable rate in Historic Venice?

Can you suggest some hotels in historic Venice
Budget: between 100 to 130 Euros per night max

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -