Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone see a logistics problem with this Lisboa/Granada Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
liloandwaldo

We fly into Lisboa late evening Oct. 1 and plan to spend 5 nights. Want to spend two days exploring city, one day for trip to Obidos and take a full day tour that incl. Cascais/Sintra/Estoril. Next we hope to take a ferry and then train to Lagos for 1 night(side trip to Sagres). Would like to spend a night in Vila Real St Antonio and then travel to Granada for two nights. Next two nights in Ronda (one day for bus trip to Arcos); 1 night in Seville and last night in Evora. Travel to Lisboa by bus in the morning to catch flight at 15:05 on Oct. 14.
Do busses between Lagos and Seville run on weekends (we'll be there after October 1st)?
Are there public transportations between all of the stops we plan to make?
Any suggestions for budget hotels in center of any of the above locations?
Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for helping me figure out this trip to make it enjoyable and without frustration for this senior couple that does not want to drive.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did part of this trip years ago. That part was Lisbon - Faro - Seville.

There is a train from Lagos to Vila Real St Antonio. Then you get on an open ferry to cross the river to Spain. Note that Spain and Portugal are in different time zones. Then take a bus to Huelva. From there you can use the trains again.

It seems that you will want to plan this trip carefully. I suggest that you get a copy of the Thomas Cook European Timetable for train and bus schedules.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:16 AM

I think I would substitute Faro for Vila Real de San Antonio. From there you should be able to get a bus into Spain, probably to Seville. From Seville to Granada; Granada to Ronda and then to Arcos. You may have to go from Ronda to Jerez de la Frontera and then change buses to get to Arcos. You might try the website for the bus company Transportes Generales Comes. Also Alsina Graells. I am sorry I do not know how to add links. For trains, please try Renfe in Spain.
I would be a bit concerned about staying in Evora the last night as it seems a bit far from the Lisbon airport. Are you sure you can get there easily in the morning?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:59 AM

liloandwaldo - I will top a thread I started called "Seville to Lisbon Public Transportation- Cheat Sheet" which I hope will help you with the bus to Vila Real St Antonio question. It assumes one is going in the reverse direction but the information is easily adapted to your own requirements. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
liloandwaldo

Thank you all for valuable input, especially, my gratitude to Sue xx yy for the bus and train info that comes in very handy. I appreciate any and all help I am getting.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM

Liloandwaldo

You're welcome.

Have you bought air tix yet? If not consider flying into Lisbon and out of Seville or Malaga to save travel time.

Otherwise:

Suggestions:

Delete the trip to Lagos/Sagres (too much travel time for too little return); substitute Faro for VRSA (almost no hotels in VRSA.)

Travel Faro to Seville, 1 night. (This is where you use the deleted Lagos night.)

Thence to Granada, 2 nights.

Ronda for 1 night, not 2. (see below)

Back to Seville for another night.

Back to Faro for another night (this is why you do only 1 night Ronda.)

Cut Evora. It's not on the main Lisbon-Faro line and adds a detour on an already busy trip.

Back to Lisbon for your last night.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM

Yikes, I am having a lot of trouble posting.

Anyway, the above revised itinerary still involves a lot of travel. So you might also want to consider flying from Lisbon to Granada (or at least Lisbon to Seville) and returning by land, if you can't change your overseas air tix. Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
liloandwaldo

Thank you Sue; have already decided to cut out Lagos. There are busses from Lisbon directly to Faro, so I think we'll do that.
We do have our plae tix so can't do anything about that.
Readon we want 2 nights in Ronda is that we really like small towns, beutiful scenery and would like to make a day trip to Arcos. We're not into late night partying and don't minde travelling as long as we're not driving and don't have to change too often. Think we might do an extra day in Lisbon and do a day trip to Evora.
Again, thank you for your valuable input. This is the second time I'm relplying--am also having a lot of trouble with posting.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
liloandwaldo

Sue, I tried the preview and got hung up...now I see I made a lot of typos! Sorry (readon shoud read reason!)
Also wanted to ask you if you know of a small budget hotel, clean and on a quiet street, but not too far from action and fun eating places, in Lisbon.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:25 AM

I hear you about the small towns. Reason I cut a night in Ronda was to find one to space out your travel times between Seville and Lisbon in both directions so as to give you maximum choice of transport methods.

One way to save that second night in Ronda is to take the Alsa bus all the way from Seville to Lisbon, current sched is something like departure 10:30 arrive Lisbon 16:45 Portuguese time. This makes for a much longer day on a bus than I would like, but you might find it worth it if it meant keeping that second night in Ronda.

Have you seen those "Things to do in Lisbon" threads? That might make a good place to ask about the hotel. We stayed at an apartment off the San Sebastian metro stop. If you can google and find a map of the Lisbon metro (or check a guidebook) this might help you decide if that is close enough for you. It's walking distance to the Gulbenkian from that area but the downtown area near Rossio is either a fairly lengthy walk or hop on the metro.

Now, please, let us hope this posts...
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM

Eureka, I have found a way to get these things to post. Use "Post my reply" after hitting "Preview my reply" when first asked. At least, that is how it worked last time....
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
liloandwaldo

Thank you for all your help. Plan now is:
5 nights in Lisbon (2 days to explore city and 2 days for day trips)
1 night in Faro
2 nights in Granada
2 nights in Ronda (day trip to Arcos)
2 nights in Seville (is there time for a day trip to Cordoba?)
Alsa Bus to Lisbon for one last night.
Fly back to Italy 15:05 on Oct. 14.
Think that's a comfortable pace. I cut out Evora alltogether, because there is a National Holiday in Spain on Oct. 12 and National Holiday in Portugal on October 5--unsure about bus/train potential.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM

liloandwaldo

You're almost there. However, depending on the day of the week you travel, getting from Faro to Seville (where you change to either a bus or a train to Granada) is going to be very difficult to manage. I still think you need to put in at least night in Seville en route to Granada.

Suppose we try it this way.

You fly the night of Sun 1 Oct arrive Mon 2 Oct Lisbon.

You spend your first 3 nights - Mon, Tues, Wed in Lisbon.

On arrival Lisbon, you try to buy tix for a 5 Oct Thu Alsa bus leaving Lisbon 9:45 arriving Seville 17:30. Thu 5 Oct night in Seville. If this bus for some reason doesn't run, then you break it up with Thu night in Faro and then take the early morning Damas bus (weekdays only) on Fri leaving Faro 8:20 arriving Seville 13:00. You can't arrive in Seville much later than this and still expect to make the run onward to Granada in the afternoon, which takes 3 hours by train or bus (a different one) plus wait time, plus a possible transfer from bus station to train station in Seville, etc. The train Faro-VRSA-ferry-bus Ayamonte-Seville option will take too long. This is why you don't want to leave Lisbon later than Thu, so as to be sure to have the direct Damas Faro-Seville bus as a backup option - remember, it only runs on weekdays.

Fri 6 and Sat 7 night in Granada.

Sun 8 and Mon 9 in Ronda.

Tues 10 and Wed 11 in Seville. I doubt you'll have time to do Cordoba, but you can decide on the spot whether you want to do the daytrip or stay in Seville.

Thu 12 Oct you try for the Alsa bus Seville direct to Lisbon (you will find out about availability when you try to buy your ticket Lisbon-Seville) and spend 12 Thu, 13 Fri night in Lisbon. This gives you your 4th and 5th nights in Lisbon - you'll have the morning of the 14th to do a little last exploring before you fly out.

If that bus falls through, you could try for the 7:30 am Thu 12 Oct Damas bus direct to Faro from Seville arriving 10:30 a.m or so Faro, and then take a train or bus from Faro to Lisbon the same (Thu) afternoon.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:12 AM

By the way, if you're nervous about trying to travel on 5 Oct and 12 Oct, then split your stay in Lisbon with a 2 night stay 2 and 3rd, then start your travel outbound from Lisbon on the 4th, returning for a 3 night stay beginning the 11th.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM
liloandwaldo

I give up--tried to respond twice and message keeps disappearing!

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM
liloandwaldo

O.K. since the last one worked, I'll try again.
Sue,
just returned from a week long camping trip in hot hot hot Oregon! and found more info from you--thank you. think I'll do the whole thing the other way round, that is:
2 nights in Lisbon, bus to Seville and right on to Ronda for 3 nights, 2 nights in Granada, 2 nights in Seville, bus back to Lisbon for 4 more nights, before flying out around 3 pm on Oct. 14. this way I'm working arounfd the holidays and we have no one night stays (the less we need to pack/unpack, the better).
hope I can figure out all the logistics about transportation! plan to stay at the Pensao Geres in Lisbon, the Baraka B&B in Ronda, Puerta de las Granadas in Granada, and the Hotel Alcantra in Seville.
You were really sweet to devote so much time to my planning; thanks a million.