Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Recommend Harry's Bar in Venice?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Mavis

I have read so much about Harry's Bar in Venice and their infamous Bellini's. Is it worth the money. Also is their food good or just overrated?

Thanks

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Wayne

The Bellini's are good, and the food is generally good. But still I think the place is overrated and the prices are way out of line. You have to want to go there just to say you've been, because generally it simply isn't worth the money. I have had very good food there, but I have also had lousy food and poor service. Having been to Venice many times, I stopped going to Harry's Bar about 5 years ago after being disappointed too many times.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Mavis

Thanks Wayne for your input.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Kay

Mavis,
we visited Harry's Bar about 5 years ago for a Bellini and this year visited Cafe Florian for a capuccino. Both very expensive but both worth it for the experience. The Bellini was a very small drink compared to other Bellini's in Venice and twice the price. I felt it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would always remember and hang the expense. Cafe Florian has a price list hanging in the window, check it out and gasp! Also, if you sit outside and there is live music, you have to pay extra for it.
Kay

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Sandy

Not worth it to me . . . we (2 couples, dressed nicely) went to HB, place not crowded at all (mid-afternoon, around 3:30), sat there for 30 min with no service, no acknowledgement, no anything, we finally got up and left.

We had not had lunch and were prepared to order lunch and drinks. We decided to spend our money someplace who wanted it.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Terra

I don't recall being overly impressed with Harry's in Venice... it isn't the kind of place that made me feel good just for having been there (it isn't so "mythical" to me). I'd rather sit in in Pzza San Marco and have a cappuccino any day!

Terra

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Traveler

I popped my head in when I was in Venice. I'd skip it.

Also, why would you travel all the way to Italy to visit a bar filled with Americans????

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Julie

We've been to Harry's bar, sat in the bar and had drinks, also had dinner upstairs. It's an institution so i'ts interesting from that perspective but not my favorite from any other perspective. Harry's Dolci is owned by the Ciprianis also and has bellini's but I prefer it to Harry's Bar. It's on Guidecca across the lagoon/canal from the rest of Venice. They have tables set up outdoors right on the water. It's relaxing with a fabulous view and has good service, good food and I'm pretty sure it's a bit less than Harry's Bar.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:17 AM
elaine

Mavis
By the way, you can get bellinis all over Venice.
I had a wonderful one at the bar of the restaurant of the Hotel Cipriani, owned by the same family as Harry's. They have a pretty terrace overlooking the lagoon, as well.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:14 AM
mavis

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Phil

I second Julie's statement: Harry's Dolci is far superior to Harry's bar in location, atmosphere, and service (which was excellent). The food is very good and about half the price of Harry's bar.

Phil

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Janda

I loved Harry's Bar. My friends ordered Margarita's. I was on a tight budget so I didnt order anything. We were sitting at the bar talking when the bartender sat a full glass of Bellini in front of me. He said" this is on me"... You can amagine my surprise. I drank it slowly to savor it. It was so delicious.
My friends said their Margarita was the best they had ever had.
Janda Otavalo

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Roger

I had the best martini I ever drank at Harry's. I can still taste it today.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:39 PM
John G

Most people go to Harry's just so they can say they went there (the same reason applies to Florian). I have been to Harry's and I didn't think the food was that bad, but, I did think it was rather expensive. But, you are paying for the high rent in Venice.

The worst thing about Harry's is that they don't have a dress code. I know that many people who travel to Venice are on holiday, but I think it is tacky to go to one of the most famous landmark restaurants in the world in shorts, sandals, and t-shirts. Somehow, this just ruins the ambience for me.

Ciao,
John G

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:41 PM
David

Two Bellini's at Harry's bar the end of 2001 cost me $25 + tip. It would have been worth it if Hemingway had been there.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Topper

TTT

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:51 PM
xxx

What made that martini the greatest you ever had? Some gin you'd never had before? Let's face it, other than the gin itself, and assuming you ordered and got it dry, what in the world could make it better?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Norman

John G

I couldn't get into Harry's the day I tried cause I had on shorts. Didn't really bother me as that night I dressed up and went to Cipriani's and ate at the restaurant and enjoyed it very much.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Bob

Ditto on the shorts. Harry dont like shorts!

It was very hot that afternoon so my buddy and I simply walked across the way to the hotel across from Harry's and found their nice patio overlooking the gondola stop and slowly drank many beers as the wives shopped. Never missed a beat and did not miss Harry's.

Harry dont like shorts!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Felice

You can wear shorts in the downstairs bar and dining room at Harry's. It is in the upstairs dining room that has a dress code. Most people congregate in the lower bar, as this is where Hemingway used to drink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information