Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE COST OF TAXIS IN ROME? DO YOU PAY IN LIRE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:06 AM
leigh

WILL BE IN ROME IN MARCH. WHAT IS THE COST AND TIME IN A TAXI FROM BORGHESE GARDENS TO FORUM? DO YOU PAY IN LIRE? WHAT DO YOU TIP? IS 100,000 LIRE APPROXIMATELY 50 US $ ? <BR>THANKS

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Dick

There's really no need to take a cab as you can access the Metro at the Flaminia station or hop on the electric bus down Via Del Corso for much less money than a taxi. If you really want to cab, I would guess it's going to be in the $7 ballpark, depending on traffic. As you're going to be in Italy, pay in Lire - I can only imagine what the average New York cabbie would do if tourists offered to pay HIM in their home currency. We tipped about what we do at home - 15% or so - I don't know if that's typical, but it did seem to get us a smile in most cases. 100,000 Lire is currently a bit less than US$50, but exchange rates are a bit variable at the moment. <BR> <BR>P.S. A friendly reminder that typing on a BB in all caps is the equivalent of shouting and you really shouldn't shout in here.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:38 AM
buddy

Just wanted to comment on the question about whether to pay in Lire. This probably depends on the driver. I don't think Dick's comment about NYC taxi driver's wanting US$ so Italians want lire is quite accurate. I travel extensively and have found that people in other countries most always accept US$, some actually prefer it. This seems an anomoly to me as Dick said you won't see people here saying "oh yeah, francs are fine!" It is true though. I rarely carry around local currency usually about $40-$50 worth. i pay for most things with credit card and many places do take US$. I went to South America this past fall and they took US$ everywhere. I thinked I changed about $50 and didn't even spend that, had to bring some home or change it back.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Ed

Leigh, do stop shouting please. <BR> <BR>The taxi ride should take less than 10 minutes, depending on traffic. Cost in the range of $5 ... in lire. <BR> <BR>Yes, you pay in lire, unless you want to grossly overtip the driver to compensate him for the time it will take him to change dollars to lire, plus the charge the bank will assess. <BR> <BR>To assume, Buddy, that people and businesses in well-developed countries like western Europe, certainly including Italy, will gladly accept dollars is a gross error, and really quite chauvinistic. Countries with an unstable currency, rampant inflation and a burgeoning black market may accept anything. Italy is not one of thee countries. In fact it may possibly still have the fastest expanding economy in Europe. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Maira

During a tour in Prague, the tour guide mentioned he was visiting the States soon. At the end of the tour, we tipped him in American dollars and told him to spend it in NY. He was elated!!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Ed

Maira, the Czech Republic is not exactly Western Europe. Even then would suggest that giving dollars to Czechs would be considered patronizing by most. <BR> <BR>The guide may have been elated, but then all guides that provide tour services to Americans take a mandatory one week course in how not to show anger but instead delight when they're being patronized. <BR> <BR <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:52 PM
leigh

Thanks, all. I didn't know all caps was considered shouting. I am new at this. Sorry. Thanks Leigh

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:45 PM
lynn

To Leigh: <BR> I really have to let you know some of the incidents I have encountered over the years in Europe of people who think they can pay in U.S dollars for everything. Now I know in certain instances like some other posters have mentioned the US dollar comes in handy but when in Rome.............you know the rest. <BR>I was on a cruise along Med shores a few years back, the cruise staff erroneously told passengers that their US dollars were fine everywhere as the locals "love the dollar". Well my husband and I did not follow this advice of course but some others did. We met up with a passenger who had been stranded miles from the ship in St. Tropez with only US dollars and not a taxi driver who would take them. She of course had no local currency and had come off the ship without her passport. (this was before ATM's had really come into common usage for most of us)...........We of course helped our fellow passenger and she never left the ship without her passport and some local currency again. <BR>I have heard people in train stations in the U.K trying to buy tickets with US dollars and literally screaming at the staff for not taking her dollars as "they were legally accepted everywhere". <BR>You need to know where they are accepted and where they are not and plan accordingly. My rule is when purchasing things from official booking agencies (trains etc) ,for use in taxis, stores, museums etc. always local currency. Tips, bartering etc. I try US dollars which I carry in small denominations, if the person balks at this then I revert to the local currency and don;t think to argue. We need to remember who's country it is we are visiting. and that we are visitors! <BR>Happy travels

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Larry

Hi, Leigh - nice recovery - now you know.... In Italy in October, we had about $400 USD in Lire between us. Really did not need it - there is an ATM on every corner - almost. Use Lire for cabs, buses, - anywhere you don't think USD is appropriate - you won't get better service at a gelateria by waving USD - Most restaurants will take a CC but common sense - have lire for cappucino, gelato, buses, etc..Under $20 USD, plan on lire. And do go to the Borghese Museum -marble is awesome.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Santa Chiara

This use of the U.S. dollar is all new to me. I live in Italy, and I would never dream of using dollars to buy anything here. Using dollars is the same as not learning to say "please" or "thank you" in the native language. In two years here, the only time I have ever seen someone try to use dollars was at the pharmacy where a drug addict (Italian) was trying to buy his sanctioned drugs (wonder where he got the dollars?). Anyway, I had to help with the currency conversion because the pharmacist didn't knowe the most recent exchange rate. Furthermore, you will do a lot better in exchange and in change if you convert you dollars to lire. Using dollars just complicates an already confusing situation for someone new to the country.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:26 PM
xxx

No, you pay in Yen.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 12:33 AM
kate

I think the point that americans must remember is that emerging economies like accepting dollars because it is a hard currency, but western europeans really don't need the financial help, so paying in dollars in a G8 country is actually a pain not a benefit for the recipient. Whilst south americans and eastern europeans may be delighted, western europeans are more likely to put it down to american arrogance.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Maira

Ed--- Please, please, explain to me what you meant. I seriously and honestly do not know what we may have done wrong. <BR> <BR>P.S. I respect your opinion a lot and that is the only reason, I need to understand this.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:04 AM
frank

In certain countries with weak currencies (Italy used to be one of these but no more) both businessmen & savers don't like to hold much cash in local currency - they could be bankrupted overnight.(in theory) <BR> I rememember 25 years ago changing UK money in Italian jewellers shops because they gave better rates than the banks.Don't think it was a scam, I think the idea of holding a lot of Lire worried them. <BR> Nowadays, you will probably be thanked for dollars in Russia but not Western Europe.Czechoslovia's currency is not particularly strong but the Czechs can be a bit snooty & I'd think twice before offering $. <BR> <BR>When the Euro arrives it should make it easier for travellers on European tours. <BR> I'd be embarrassed to offer any currency but local, it just seems arrogant.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Rex

Maira, <BR> <BR>I don't think that Ed's comments are specific to the Czech Republic. <BR> <BR>Anyone in a "personal service" business - - whether it's tour guiding, shining shoes, waiting tables, giving manicures - - you name it - - has a choice: <BR> <BR>1. always show the customer a smiling face, charge enough so that minor rudeness gets shrugged off as you deposit your income for that day, set a tone that encourages your customers to tell other friends that you offer a good experience <BR> <BR>or <BR> <BR>2. yell and scream when your customers don't behave to your liking, and go through life acting like you are doing your customers a big favor by providing your services at all. <BR> <BR>Your Prague tour guide chooses the former and it gets him bigger tips. Maybe he really WAS going to the US soon, or maybe he took your dollars to the bank, exchanged them and took the korunas to buy bread and milk for his kids. <BR> <BR>If someone paid for "your" services using a big wad of korunas in New York - - whatever business "you" are in - - (I'm speaking here of "you" generically, not YOU specifically) you would have the same choice - - smile and say thank you, or pitch a fit. <BR> <BR>Maybe that trip to the bank to exchange those korunas, and the commission to do so is an overhead expense you grin and bear; maybe your attitude about it is not so good. <BR> <BR>Either way, I don't see how it is ever "good manners" to pay for personal services in any currency other than that of the country you're visiting. <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:29 AM
Liz

Rex <BR> <BR>I think the Maldives might be an exception. We're from the UK and we HAD to use US dollars (to tip the waiter, etc) in the Maldives. <BR> <BR>I think this is because the tourists are 'confined' to certain islands, developed specially for tourism. The local people live on other islands, and although you can visit these for the day, you are not permitted to stay overnight. Presumably, it is possible to change your US dollars for the local currency, to buy goods on the 'locals' islands, but I never saw any Maldivian currency, all the time I was there.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Paige

Maira, I don't think you did anything wrong. The guide said he was going to the states soon so obviously had a need for dollars. I think under the circumstances what you did was fine. I'm sure people will disagree and say that he needed the money for bread for his children or whatever but if he can afford a trip to the states, he's probably not dirt poor. It sounds like other posters want to make sure you know that it's not usually acceptable to tip in dollars. <BR>Granted, the guide probably would've preferred his local currency so that he could spend it as he liked and not have to save it for his trip.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Ed

I think Rex has explained it nicely. <BR> <BR>Another way to put it: Imagine that you are in a service business and are paid or tipped in Swiss Francs, Japanese Yen or German Marks. All, basically, "harder" currencies than the US dollar, certainly quite often if not exactly today. What would be your reaction? <BR> <BR>That's precisely analogous to what we in another country when we toss them dollars rather than the local currency. Yes, there may be situations, generally outside western Europe, where there is some reason they may prefer dollars (or in much of eastern Europe Marks)to their own currency ... but let them indicate that. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Maira

I should probably clarify that the ONLY reason I offer dollars to this nice young man was because he made a big deal to me and hubby about his upcoming trip to New York. When we handed the tip we told him -" have a couple of beers in New Uork on us-". I repeat that he did not looked particularly insulted. For what is worth, anybody that knows me personally knows that I am the last person you'll call arrogant.....

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Tony Hughes

Well given the choice of a tip in USD or no tip at all, I can't see anyone (except maybe the french) turning their noses up at it. <BR> <BR>Reminds me of a time when I was a youngster driving in middle england. I had stopped for fuel and was trying to pay in Scottish money - the woman looked at it as if it had just come out of the business end of a cow, she held it to the light, turned it over, bit it to make sure it was real etc. My reply was simple, either you take it or I get my petrol for free! <BR> <BR>Ed - who mentioned WESTERN europe? Maira, nothing wrong with your posting at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -