Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have impressions about Venice in september?

Jan 4th, 2000, 06:28 AM
ph

Hi everyone! Happy new year with loads of great travel (I hope)! I was thinking what is like Venice in the middle of the movie festival that happens every year in september. Do you think is a good time for sightseeing? Thanks a lot for sharing!

Jan 4th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Beth

We were there in '99 in early September, during the film festival. It was extremely hot, although I guess it was unseasonably so. It was 90 degrees and 90% humidity, so it was really pretty uncomfortable. Also it was very crowded, although I guess that's normal. It was not a bad time for sightseeing, but if I had it to do over, I would visit later, maybe early October. We did not try to go to any of the film festival events at the Lido, so I can't say what that would be like.

Jan 4th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Rex

This is based on two very short visits to Venice (June 98 and September 99). I had been to Venice before, but not for a while.

I thought June (specifically, about the 17th) was much nicer than September (about the 27th, I think). Not only did the swell of tourists seem larger in September (it was an incredible, perfect weather day), I just had this "sense" that hotel/restaurant staffs, etc were very "tired". I know that this is a very subjective impression, and I can't back it up with anything objective.

Don't get me wrong. I love Venice, and the kids I was with in June were SO sorry we didn't book an extra night (partly due to budget) - - but I wonder if the crowds of July and August just "wear the city out" a little bit!

As with all anecdotal advice, take this with a HUGE grain of salt.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 4th, 2000, 02:15 PM
elizabeth

Just a word of caution - I saw some frightening footage of Venice in late September (this year) when it experienced substantial flooding. The coverage implied that this is quite common in September/October. I'm certainly no expert - but I would check it out.

Jan 4th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Pat

We have been in Venice in September a couple of times. This year it was too hot. Several years ago the weather was lovely then, but we do prefer to go there in October- lovely and not as crowded. We went there in November last year and it was still nice, not crowded, but some things were shut down- no music at night on the Piazza, not much night life at all, and it felt too cool to want to go on a gondola ride. Don't worry too much about high water. The only time it was high was when we were there in November.It was not a big problem- the Venetians are well used to coping with it- they put up boards on risers to walk on, and it is mostly high close to San Marco and the Ghetto- not every where. If there is water, you can usually just walk down a different street to get where you are going with dry feet.

Jan 4th, 2000, 09:22 PM
Diane

I was there for 5 days in September 1997 and the weather was picture perfect. Sunshine, about 75 degrees during the daytime. It was busy, but not terribly crowded, however, I was not there during the film festival.

Jan 6th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Ruth

We were there over a weekend in the middle of September 1998, not during the film festival. It was extremely crowded, partly due to a huge secessionist that occurred that Sunday. People we know stayed until Wednesday and said that it was not crowded Monday-Tuesday. So my advice is to avoid being there on a weekend if you can.

Jan 6th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Marija

We've been to Venice three times in September and have encountered beautiful weather and many tourists. But it doesn't really matter. Venice is incredible and you can enjoy it under almost any circumstances. Don't worry about finding the perfect time to go. Just go!

Jan 7th, 2000, 05:41 AM
Paulo

This year, Venice should be pretty much packed in the first weekend. On top of the film festival, the "Regatta Storica" will take place on Sunday September 3rd. This is one of the big, traditional feasts in Venice. It's one of Italy's most famous nautical events. Richly decorated gondolas with rowers in historical costumes race through the Giudecca and the Grand Canal. Many parties are held on barges in the middle of the lagoon.

I particularly love this event ... if I had the chance, I would plan to arrive on Saturday or Sunday morning and stay over Monday and Tuesday (with the city back to the "normal" crowds).

Paulo