Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any experience in getting large items home from France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Pat

Okay I admit it, I'm a shopaholic. I plan to do some serious shopping in Provence and Paris this summer and it's likely that many of the items will not fit into suitcases. I've heard that your airline will take certain items but I have no idea as to what they take, or if they charge or whether you go to cargo or what?? <BR><BR>Has anyone bought a very large item overseas and had it shipped back here. If so, what company did you use? I'm talking about items such as a chair, dining table, etc? Things that can't be broken down and carried on a plane. Will most shops arrange this for you or are you on your own? I have heard of getting a crate or renting space in a crate but I really won't know if I need one until I get over there. Is this something that can be arranged last minute? Do places such as Mailboxes ETC or Fed Ex accept large merchandise or just boxed items?<BR><BR>I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Bob

Just bring your spouse home the same way you got him/her over there.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:20 AM
MH

DHL is the most widely used carrier here in europe. But remember that that bargain you found my cost up to 10x the purchase amount to have it crated and shipped to you, plus you will pay duty and customs taxes. As far as american chains they do not exist here in europe but I do believe that the brits have a similiar company that does that unsure about Paris. Also, unless you witness the actual crating and shipping you are leaving this up to a merchant who could be reputable or not...something to think about. The airlines are not going to allow you to ship furniture as baggage and whatever doesn't fit in your suitcase will be charged as excess baggage and these days there are no guarentees that the plane will be able to accomadate your excess baggage, since weight restrictions are being taken very seriously these days. <BR>I spent a week there last summer and all I brought home was some lavender products but then again I already live in europe and large furniture will not fit into my car, so that pretty much relieves me of the burden of buying large items in other countries.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Pat

So I guess if I were to find a buffet and hutch I really dont have a prayer of getting it back here?<BR><BR>Also, am I getting this right. If I found a piece of furniture that costs $2000USD. Based on what you've said in your post it'll cost me $20000 to get it back to the USA? That can't be right!!<BR><BR>What type of items does AA take as extra baggage? I take it that it can be boxed? Will they accept wine if I buy that and it's boxed?<BR><BR>Thank you.......

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Trythis

There must be a local dealer or decorator who imports furniture. Perhaps you can find out from them how to go about it.If you can get the names of wholesalers in France and deal directly with them...they ship all the time!<BR><BR>Otherwise, you would need a container.(or space in one). I would leave it up to the people I puchase the furniture from because they have the experience. Good luck!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Gretchen

If you buy a piece of furniture from a reputable dealer they can arrange shipping for you but it WILL be expensive. Yet people do it all the time. When talking about a "container" it is really beyond a casual shopper's means. There are indeed UPS shippers. Do you have time to find them, take your stuff and pack it--maybe. So, just like in the US anything is possible--you just have to seek it out and then pay for it. You are the only one who can tell if it is worth it to you. You can check in your hometown also for shippers who may have offices in Paris--look in the yellow pages. If you shop at the Marche aux Puces there are shippers with offices there.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Gretchen

And yes, you can check wine--or carry it on if you haven't overdone your carryons.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:40 AM
julie

But what about the customs on bringing wine into the US. As i understand the duty free limit is 1 liter per person. How much will the additional duty be? We have wanted to bring wine home but assumed that the saving in initial price would be negated by the taxes.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:43 AM
lisa

Julie -- we also wanted to bring back wine and asked what the limit was. We were told by a couple of wineries that it is "personal use" -- that is, an amount that US Customs considers to be for personal use. Don't know what the precise parameters of that would be, but we brought back 5 bottles between the 2 of us.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:04 AM
liz

Okay, let's talk. I bought a huge Persian rug at a store called Prestige du Tapis , 75, avenue du Temes in Paris. Phone 01 45 74 58 54. I have been a customer there for about 8 years on various trips to France. The prices on real Persian rugs in France are about 1/3 the U.S. My husband was horrified, the latest rug was 12 x 18 and weighs over 200 lbs. The shop found a massive and really cheap suitcase and folded this rug up and with the help of 4 men, crammed it in. The airline didn't charge since we were within the business class baggage limit on # of pieces. I paid $3500, it would have been $10-14K in the U.S. It was a major pain, the suitcase didn't fit in the taxi & had to be strapped to the roof in the snow, but when it filled up our dining room and looks magnificent we were more than pleased. This avoids the hassle of shipping furniture which is very expensive as you have to pay for part of a container, insurance, customs clearance, etc. Everything else, Fed-Ex with no problems. Items 100 years plus have no duty, otherwise you may get a bill from U.S. customs on other purchases after their arrival. Of course 10% duty is payable on all purchases over, I think now $500 or $1000 per person at U.S. Customs. <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:42 AM
RMC

Gretchin, are you saying that you can carry on a case of wine? They didn't check it? Wouldn't a case be larger than the carry on size limit?<BR><BR>I've read a lot of the posts on shipping wine back home and most people here seem to say that customs doesn't bother them. My understanding is that you're allowed to bring back wine for your personal consumption but I suppose you could debate the amounts considered reasonable. Personally I would consider a case of wine reasonable for personal use but I don't know what the official guidelines are.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Sherri Kardell

Hi Pat I was in Paris 2 years ago I bought a beautiful set of Limoges dishes at the March' de pocues and then realized that there was no mail boxes etc. type place to ship home my dishes. I have since learned that there are on sight shippers at the March' Clingicourt and would suggest using them if you go there. I did use this shipper Grospiron Intrnational tel# 0148117171( use Paris code first ) or email info@grospiron. Maybe they could give you some prices. All my dishes did arrive safely and they were very professional. I will say it cost me as much to get them home as it did to buy them; but there was no duty because they were considered antiquies.I will say it was worth it for me. I have seen far less complete sets for triple the amount,And I have a great story to tell every time I have a dinner party. Good luck I know you will find something fab! I do suggest a trip to the marche' you will find great things and they will ship them for you. Sherri Kardell

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
stupid-I-guess

March Clingicourt <BR><BR>What is this?<BR>Where is this?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sue

She's referring to the huge marche aux puces in Montmartre on Sundays; the metro stop is Clingnancourt.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Sherri Kardell

Pat I should have been more clear about the March' it means market in French and there are many of them in Paris and through out France. There is a book and I don't know the author but it is titled shopping the flea markets of France. You can find it in the travel section of your local book store. I really found alot of exceptional things at the march'clingnancort and I recommend it highly. You can find out more info. by doing a search under: Paris flea markets or by searching under clingnancort flea market paris france. There are over 2;000 dealers at this market if you are a real shoppeer you can do it in a day ;but you will probbly need 2. Viva La France!<BR>Sherri Kardell

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Nikki

The marche aux puces, which is just outside Paris, in St-Ouen, is a short walk from the metro Porte de Clignancourt. It is open Saturday, Sunday and Monday. There are several shipping companies on site. The flea market has a web site, at www.antikita.com. Click on "Transport" at the top of the page for information on the various shippers.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Matt

<BR>Liz (who bought the carpet),<BR><BR>Do you mean to say that you checked in several pieces of luggage, one of which alone weighed 200 lbs ? (the weight of your carpet you say) And you weren't charged anything for your total weight just because you were within the '# of pieces allowance' for business class ? Wow ! Is there no weight restriction for business class passengers any more ? <BR>And however did you manage to get around with a HEAVY suitcase (amongst other stuff) that couldn't fit into a taxi ??<BR><BR>Sorry, Pat, for the diversion, but this sounds fascinating.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Pat

I guess Paris doesn't concern me as much as Provence does. I figure Paris is used to shipping items to the US. Will a small shop in Provence be able to ship an item overseas? I'm not talking about a tablecloth. What if I find something like a sideboard for instance? If not, would they likely know of someone who can help with shipping? <BR><BR>Now does anyone know if MH is correct when he or she said it'll be 10 times the cost of the item to ship it? That's absurd!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Christina

I have never bought furniture in France, so my knowledge is sketchy but -- there are different customs requirements for antiques vs just regular merchandise, if you are shipping an antique you need a shipper who knows the process as there are bonds, fees, taxes, paperwork, etc. Also, you'll no doubt want insurance, so you'll have to check what they can provide. If it's not an antique (at least 100 yrs old), there are duties for values over a certain limit as someone else said.<BR><BR>I don't know for sure, but it could easily cost you $500+ to ship a smaller piece of furniture, I believe, a single chair probably less. Here are some shippers in Paris you could contact for a quote:<BR><BR>Hedley's Humpers (they also have NYC office at 212-219-2877 you could call for details), at St-Ouen (FAX 40-10-05-64) <BR>EDET International<BR>also at St-Ouen (FAX 49-45-14-52)<BR><BR>DHL (more expensive, prob. ok for small items, cheaper than Fedex I think)<BR>tel 42-96-14-55 FAX 49-27-91-62<BR><BR>The two top shipping firms send by boat and put it in their containers with other items.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:31 PM
JJJ

There are Mailboxes Etc in Europe, in fact there is one just south of the train station in Nice, I bought enough bubble wrap there last year I could walk to it in my sleep.<BR><BR>You do not have to have things boxed to take it to Mailboxes, they will box it for you (for a fee). The African Mask we bought from a street vendor last year ($50) would have cost me $200 to send it home. Fortunatly we found a larger suite case for $60, it is a piece of junk, but with a lot bubblewrap it got the mask home safely.<BR><BR>UPS does have pick up places in Europe and they can ship your stuff home, of course UPS is not super cheap. UPS will not ship Wine to the US (I alrerady check on this). <BR><BR>You can bring a reasonable amount of wine in with you (paying for any amount over the personal exemption of 1 bottle). What is reasonable, I see no reason for them to question 12 bottles or less, expecially if you add that they are for gifts. Any more and you may have problems; just don't try to sneak them in--then you are really in for it. And as for the additional duty negating the savings--there are many excellent bottles of wine in France, that you cannot get in the states (Chateau Minutey is my favorite for about $11/bottle) and the extra duty would be worth having some in my cellar during the rest of the year.<BR><BR>Just take the time now to call UPS, Fed Ex, DHL etc and find out exactly what you can and cannot do, then you will be prepared when you see that great thing you cannot live without.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -