Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have an opinion about theatremonkey.com?

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 01:06 PM
Pearce

I found this site while researching shows in London, and it looks great if it's even half-way accurate. Can someone who's familiar with any of these theatres please tell me if you agree with his opinions of the seating in the different areas?

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 01:51 PM
Patrick

Thanks, Pearce, for introducing me to a new London theatre site -- I thought I knew them all. I just spent about an hour entertaining myself on it, and yes I think it is quite good. In reviewing his "best seats" descriptions, I am amazed at what depths he has gone into, including at what row you can no longer see the top of the proscenium, or how far to the sides to go to still see the full stage. The only one I have found so far that I'd take exception to was his description of the Donmar in which he suggests getting the side circle seats because they offer such a great view of the stage. Last year we sat in the first row of side circle and literally had to lean forward for the entire production to see what was going on. People behind us complained that they were totally unable to see up to fourth of the stage as the actors were obstructed by those of us in front of them. I will return to the site and use in frequently. Thanks again for making me aware of it.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Pearce

Patrick, <BR> <BR>I wanted to thank you for your helpful reply. Once you told me this was a reliable source, I went back and checked it out in depth. <BR> <BR>I never realized there were be so many differences between Theatre in England and the U.S. We sure can't buy tickets over the phone from theatres here. Only Ticketmaster (or a facsimile thereof), or going to the box office. I was thrilled to see that even going through Ticketmaster in London there's only about a $2.50 charge per ticket. When we saw Phantom in Indianapolis this summer, it cost an extra $9.00 a person! But it just wasn't quite worth the 3-hour drive there and 3 hours back to get them from the box office! <BR> <BR>It's also wonderful that they have opera glasses there at the seats. We have our own, and we've been to a few theatres were you can rent them in the lobby, but this is a great idea! <BR> <BR>This site also said to not expect great sound in some theatres. I guess I'm spoiled. If we find a Theatre doesn't have good acoustics, we just wait until the show is in another city and don't go back to that Theatre again. It's really good to have been warned, though. <BR> <BR>I was very surprised to find that you only applaud at intermission and at the end of the show. I definitely would have been one of those to embarrass myself by applauding after a musical number. I know if I really get into the show, it's going to be hard for me to stop, though! <BR> <BR>I've also never heard of seats being double sold. I'm not saying it isn't done here, I've just never heard of it happening, and I've been to theatres in several cities in the U.S. <BR> <BR>Once again--thank you. <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Patrick

Now you've got me. You mean we don't applaud at the end of every musical number in London? I always thought we did! <BR>By the way, the biggest difference of all is their selling of refreshments right in the theatre. Imagine eating an ice cream at your seat in Indianapolis! <BR>Another highlight (all right, so I'm easily impressed) is the lowering of the safety (fire) curtain during the interval (intermission) of every performance. Some of those old painted asbestos (or whatever they are) curtains are really magnificent.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Pearce

I guess theatremonkey was over-generalizing when he said not to applaud. I'm really glad to hear that we can. And you're right, the only time I've seen (heard) people eat during a play was when they brought their own. Most theatres I've been to won't even allow the drinks out of the lobby. <BR> <BR>I am so looking forward to seeing the old theatres there! As you know, if something is a hundred years old here, it's considered old. Of course, most people here don't appreciate our historical buildings (they might get in the way of a mall)--I'm glad they're such a priority there! <BR> <BR>Our trip is still over 2 months away, and I'm getting so excited! <BR>