Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a good tour guide to recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Rome, Venice, and Florence in April/May. I have hotels chosen, but now I am looking for tour guides for day trips in each city. I realize there are quite a few "bad" ones, as evidenced by a recent posting here. Does anyone recommend particular companies?
Thanks so much!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Since no one else has replied yet, I recommend ContextRome, which also has similar tours in Florence and Venice. I used them for 3 tours in Rome and absolutely loved them. They are a bit pricier than others, but I felt it was well worth it. You can find them at contexttravel.com. They have tours in Paris where I am headed in April and I am planning to use them there as well; I was that satisfied!

I also did the After Hours Vatican Tour, which was completely worth the splurge for me.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
amyb has given you some good info. But the reason you haven't received even more is because no one knows where you are asking about.

"Does anyone have a good tour guide to recommend?" could be asking about anywhere in Europe. I'd re-post w/ a title something like "Recommended tour guides in Rome, Venice, and Florence?"
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM

I, too, can highly recommend Context tours. We've used them at the Vatican Museums, Florence (focused on influence of the Medici family on the Renaiisance), and Louvre (Italian Masters). Hope this helps...
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
dorkforcemom, thanks for posting that because the Italian masters is exactly what I'm looking at for the Louvre!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM

I echo the recommendation for Context Tours. I heard of them here and we used them in Florence and Rome...LOVED them. yes, they are pricer but we found them to be well worth every penny.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM

I recommend Francesca Caruso. We used her to tour in Rome and thoroughly enjoyed her. She will cater the itinerary to what you want to see. her e-mail is [email protected]
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM

I have visited all 3 cities & found only the need to get a guide in Rome for the Vatican & St. Peter's Basilica. We used Through Eternity Tours this summer when we visited Rome & the tour was fantastic! Very knowledgable guides, easy to book via the internet & recommended by many tourbooks.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM

amyb - hope it works out for you to take that tour while in Paris. When we went (last March), there were 4 of us on the tour. My sister & I, along with a mother & teenage daughter. The tour is loaded with detailed information which was not of interest to the mother & teenage daughter - they abandoned the tour from the get-go. We then had, basically, a private tour. Our guide enthralled us for hours longer than the tour specified - we really got our monies worth! Let us know how it works out for you.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

I also totally agree with contacting Francesca Caruso. She was amazing!!!Her fee is reasonable, her wealth of information is staggering and she was so lovely and sweet. In Florence we used Artiva Walks and Natalie Pan for Tuscany. Very happy with both.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM

bookmarking.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM

bookmarking