Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know how Travelocity handles seat selection on flights without seating charts?

Search

Does anybody know how Travelocity handles seat selection on flights without seating charts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Polly

I've had three different answers from Travelocity Customer Service reps about this. I'm trying to book international flight on British Airways through Travelocity (which is offering a MasterCard discount). When I get to the seat selection screen it just says no seating chart provided. Our group will include an 11 yr. old and I am nervous about seats being available together on such a long flight. The three answers were: <BR>1) I'd look for another flight if I were you <BR>2) When the purchase is completed you will receive a booking code and can then contact BA for seat assignments. The airlines reserve blocks of seats anyway and seats together will not be a problem. <BR>3) BA will assign seats when you arrive at the airport. No way an airline will let a child be separated from the parent. <BR> <BR>Does anybody know the real answer? Thanks.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 04:25 PM
x

Generally, seat assignment is done at the airport on check-in. I have worked for two airlines and they would never separate a child from ONE parent and will try very hard to put the three parties together. <BR> <BR>I would book the tickets and contact BA who may or may not assign seats at the time. I would get to the airport early in case there's a problem.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Janelle

I have to respectfully disagree with x above, who has worked for 2 airlines. When my daughter was 2 1/2, we booked a flight on USAirways. They couldn't assign seats, so we had to wait until the day of the flight. We were there about 2 hours before departure, and the best they could do was give us each our own seat in 3 different rows. They did not try to seat us together at all. The ticket agent said it was up to the gate agent; the gate agent said it was up to the flight attendants; and the flight attendants told us (we were the very first on the plane) that we had to ask the other passengers to switch. So I would not automatically assume that an airline would not separate a child from one parent, because it happened to us, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. BTW, we did get passengers to switch with us, but we should not have had to do so ourselves.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:20 PM
x

janelle & polly: <BR> <BR>I did not work for a US airline. <BR> <BR>I am shocked that they would split up a child from ONE parent (I would have assumed that a 2.5 year old would either be a "lap" child and would therefore not have its own seat or would have to travel with a parent). Anyone under 14 traveling alone must be designated an unaccompanied minor. <BR> <BR>A note to BA re their poilicy might be appropriate.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:23 PM
suzy

I have worked for a major airline for a year and a half and was a travel agent for about 15 years prior. It has become increasingly difficult to preassign seats on any flight since the airlines release only a portion of the seats on any given flight for preassignment. If I get calls from people traveling with a small child (or children), my support desk can USUALLY (not always) open up seats that I can't assign. When I was a travel agent doing only international travel, British Air just didn't preassign seats for some of the lowest fares. I would suggest calling them before you actually purchase your tickets. There is no assurance that you will all be able to be seated together.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Polly

Thanks to all. It seems the uncertainty continues. I will call BA today - or perhaps I will call 3 times today and see what the answers are.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Diane

I fly a lot and never had a problem with seat assignments because I learned early that you can call the airline and get a seat assignment well before the flight. You may have to mark your calendar to 28 days before or whatever, but you should be able to get seat assignments that way. I reserve through www.biztravel.com and almost always can get my seat assigned when I purchase the ticket. This included three heavily discounted USAirways <BR>e-tickets between DC and Orlando at Christmas! Never wait to do it at the airport. When I don't use biztravel, I phone the airline directly for seat assignments, or direct the Travel Agency to provide the seat assignment along with the ticket.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Janelle

We did call in advance of the trip (I can't tell you how far, as it's been 5 years now), but I know it was a good 2-3 weeks at least, perhaps a month or more. I was told something along the lines of they could no longer assign seats, that the remaining available seats would be released for assignment the day of the flight. That's why we were there early, but it didn't do us any good. We did have a separate seat purchased for our daughter, so she was not a lap child. Now I always make it a point to get the seat assignments as soon as we make the reservations, and reconfirm a couple of times leading up to the flight.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:33 PM
A.M.

You should be aware that any seat assignment given to you by Travelocity can be and often is changed by the airline, call the airline directly concerning seats and speak with a supervisor. I know from experience.