Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does any one know where the South Hamptons are located?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 07:25 PM
Marla

Please help!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:17 AM
james

Try the US forum

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:50 AM
Bob

Located in the state of New York.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:51 AM
minbrooklyn

South Hampton is toward the middle of Long Island, in New York State, east of New York City about 60 or 70 miles. Anyone correct me if I'm off. It's a wealthy area, where many moneyed New Yorkers go in the summertime. Hope that helps.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:44 AM
coco

I think the QE2 docks at South Hampton in England (on southern coast). There is also a South Hampton in Virginia (near Myrttle Beach). Maybe more, in addition to above referenced South Hampton (singular) New York (actually pretty far out towards east end of LI).

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:53 AM
xxx

coco: <BR>In NY it is known as the "Hamptons"-plural. This is a very upscale area. South Hampton , England is a seaport. Could be the NY one and others are named after it.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
barbara

South Hampton is probably considered to be "eastern Long Island" rather than the middle of the island (near the South Fork), along the south shore, with very nice sandy beaches on the Atlantic Ocean.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:07 AM
Lizzie

On Long Island, it's spelled Southampton - one word. Hmmm. Wonder which locale Marla is looking for?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:15 AM
KT

It's Southampton (one word) in England, too.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
coco

xxx, <BR> Thanks, I know it's "the Hamptons" when refering to the whole conglomeration, but each one is still a "hampton" singular. Have spent time in all but Westhampton (and suppose that too is one word. Lizzie--thanks, I'm not so good with the spelling of place names!).