Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

do you want to fly to Paris from now until june 15 for 200.00? Here's how!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live near Rockford Illinois. There is an incentive to get you to fly out of Rockford International Airport! The flights that I am going to write about are the Rockford to Paris flights.
Here is how it works, you log into flyrfd.com, you have to book your flights before May 8 and travel from now until June 15,which means you have to be back in the states on the 15th!
Buy your tickets on NWA, it is the only international flight out of Rockford. You fly to Detroit and depending on availability you either fly KLM through Amsterdam to Paris or directly to Detroit to Paris on Northwest.
In order to get your cash rebate you need to sign up for milesahead program on the flyrfd website. The kicker is they will guarantee that your round trip ticket to paris is 99.00 each way. For instance I am flying out of Rockford on June 10 and returning on june 14 my ticket is 1230.00 after taxes. Rockford airport is giving me a cash rebate of 930.00 dollars, I still have to pay the taxes on my ticket. So in the end I am flying to Paris spur of the moment in June for 99.00 each way with around 100.00 in taxed on top of that. So anyone in the Chicago area, this is a for real deal, and I am going to take advantage of it!! Check it out for yourself. pj
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Well here is a heads up on a incredible deal and no replys, anyway this is only a Rockford incentive to get Chicago area people to take notice of an international airport that is not chicago airport! PS I know Rex is checking out the validity, so it is now May 4 and the deal is over on May 8th!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
rex

Yee haaahhh!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, PJ!

My long drought is ending (didn't get to Europe at all in 2004 - - only once before since 1991 - - and that year did go to Australia).

And it will be "just a quick smooch" (6 nights) - - but at under $300 for May/June travel, no way could I let this get away.

As your follow-up post implied, I did confirm independently with the Rockford airport authority that this rebate program is legitimate, and not subject to some fine print that rules it out for us.

Now, I just have to decide where we are going once we get to Paris - - probably the southwest; certainly open for any suggestions. The two of us are moderately willing to "cover some ground" to see places we have not been before, despite my eternal mantra of "see where you are more, move around less". Azay-le-Rideau, Saumur, Cognac, the Perigord (stay in Mercues?) come to mind. The biggest difficult decision will be whether to try to "press on" to make a day or two in Bilbao or not (sanity would say no, but need to think about this).

Now that I've got my two tickets, y'all jmup on this! What a sweet deal, even if you have to fly into Midway (iflyswa.com) to get to Rockford!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

well Rex you win the award for jumping on a deal of a lifetime the fastest on fodors!!! It really is a splurge in time for me since I was just in Paris in March and will be in Seattle right before this trip!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM
rex

Well, hopefully, the trip is the "award". I am as surprised as you that others are not jumping on this.

And just for the sake of honest, I will list here the "hidden" costs we expect to bear to get this sub-$300 airfare:

RT ticket from Louisville to Midway $115 per person on Southwest
Rental car to drive from MDW to RFD $38
Rental car to drive back from RFD to MDW $46
(Estimated) overnight lodging near Midway on the night of our return $30-40 (priceline) - - the flight gets back too late to return to Midway and fly home to Louisville.

So, since we are not local, our true cost will be about $475 - - but still phenomenally good for (almost summer travel) - - fares from the east coast might come along to match this quite regularly, but from "the heartland" it is usually necessary to add $200, if not $300 to get comparable deals.

I just can't believe that the Rockford Airport Authority is going to write us a check for $1832, to subsidize our tickets which cost $2430.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Topping for Rockford, Illinois area residents. Sweet.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Wow, and I thought we got an absolute steal flying Denver to Rome May 13-25 for only $671 each.

Congrats rex and others who jumped on this deal!

Oh how I wish Southwest flew to Colorado, Frontier just doesn't compare to their low prices.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM
rex

By the way, this deal has even more great fares to other domestic destinations. My sister and family are going to jump on the $59 fare to Denver.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

I just booked Hotel Du Danube for my June dates!! Thank God there was availabilty.
We are going to take a day trip to Dijon and area. I do live in Rockford so this is as sweet as it gets!
Well there is still time!!!!!!!! The deal ends on May 8 for travel through June 15th.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Wow! I can't believe the prices! I would just on it in a heartbeat (I live Illinois, near St. Louis, but it would be worth the drive!) but we are leaving for our Europe vacation on Saturday so there is no way I could jump on the offer. Like TexasAggie, I thought we got a great deal from St. Louis to Nuremberg (leaving on May 7) for $550 per person!

Thanks for posting! It may be worthwhile for us to consider using the Rockfort airport for future travels.

Tracy
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

tcreath, just want to clarify the city is Rockford, definitely put it on your list of airports when researching Northwest flights.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Oops, sorry for the typo! Thanks pjsparlor! We are actually flying NWA when we go to Germany on Saturday. I never even thought to look into Rockford's airport because I assumed it was a smaller airport that wouldn't handle international flights.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

May 2nd was the first NW flight so you are right about it being small, and not an international airport.But hopefully that will change and Rockford will keep the planes filled!!So now it is a International Airport!
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM
rex

It was an International Airport even before May 2, right...? there are/were charter carriers going to Mexico, the Bahamas, no?
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

ok you got me on that, I was so excited about Europe and MY plans that I kinda left out Bahamas and Mexico!! Guess I am not a beach girl, and made a faux pas.
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Super price if you live anywhere near Rockford. It would cost me over $500.00 to get to Rockford from Northwest Montana making it approx. $700.00.
For a couple hundred more i guess I'll wait and pick the dates I want out of Spokane or Seattle.
Have a great trip guys!
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the hot tip. After the rebate, it nets out to less than $300 r/t to Paris. That's lunacy!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM
rex

That's what we've been trying to tell you!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM
esm

Thanks for the great tip. Off to Paris in 2 weeks. Now I have to find a hotel!
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

ttt for Illinois!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -