Do you travel alone?

Oct 5th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Becky

Do you travel alone?

I'm just curious about how many of you travel alone. If you usually travel with someone, is it your husband/wife, a friend, etc.?

Oct 5th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Jeff

Hi Becky,

Traveling to Europe has become my "hobby", as it allows me to escape from the daily routine and stress of my job. I probably travel alone 40-50% of the time I go overseas. Despite some language barriers, my being adventurous in spirit has tremendously made this potential dilemma more of a challenge to conquer. A major disadvantage of traveling with your "special someone" is the fact that arguments and fights can become a reality which, of course, can spoil your vacation. Besides, I've observed that meeting new people and finding worthwhile friends are easier when there is no one traveling with you to cause distractions!

Oct 5th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Martha

Becky -
I travel alone and love it. It's partly because I don't know anyone who has the same interests and abilities to travel, but also because I'm very independent and want to do what I want to do when I want to. It also gives you the opportunity to meet very interesting people - that you wouldn't meet if you were part of a "couple".
Martha

Oct 5th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Rachel

I travel either with my husband or with friends. Although I have never tried a solo trip, I am sure it would be great, albeit a little lonely at times. I know I would miss being able to look at someone I know and say, "Isn't it great that we are here."

Oct 5th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Bob Brown

I have tried it both ways, alone and with people. I prefer to be with a congenial group or my wife. She is a very good travel companion and has gone with me on all of my trips for the last 41 years, except for a few business trips. I don't think I would be very happy trying to go it alone anymore.

Oct 5th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Rex

I have made 5 trips alone; each of them pre-business, or post-business or in at least one case, both. It takes an almost "driven" desire to explore, but they have been among my most cherished trips.

I doubt that my style would be for many people, as I have strung together as many as four 14-18 hour days, covering a lot of territory, paying little or no attention to dinners (but sometimes some nice lunches - - I like to go "scout out" the best hotel in a city, and have a nice lunch there), and arriving late/departing early from the hotels I have chosen for myself. Reservations are vitally important for this kind of travel; in a few cases, it has been the only way I have motivated myself to drive on (approaching midnight) to arrive somewhere. I really hope I can get back to some of these places with my wife or kids (with whom I have since completed another half dozen trips).

And I have taken "other folks" on five other trips (some of these trips overlapped with trawveling with my wife or family). Not every one can do this, but if you get the chance, I recommend trying it all: solo, with a spouse, with kids, with a group. Each has something unique and fun about it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 5th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Ann

Becky... I do travel alone occasionally, when business takes me overseas. I always stay longer so I can get out and do some sightseeing on my own, or visit old favorites. And while I am perfectly happy to be doing that, I am always wishing I had my husband or a friend to share things with while traveling. On the other hand, I get to do a whole lot more of the things I enjoy than if I have to be concerned about accommodating others. I like to move fast, detour when I feel like it or something catches my eye, and then slow down and wander once I get "there." I especially love traveling alone in Germany because (as a woman) I've never had a moment's concern about staying in a gasthaus or dining alone or hiking in fairly remote areas. Are you asking because you're planning such a trip??

Oct 6th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Art

I've traveled with someone and alone. These days mostly alone except for my latest trip with my sister. I always meet people when I travel alone, but also enjoy sharing travels with a friend or ?.

Oct 6th, 2000, 09:26 AM
AC

Hi Becky:
I travel with my 76 Year old Mom!! She is a great companion. She never complains about walking too much or sightseeing too much. She raised five kids when my Dad passed away at age 45. She's earned her trips to Europe. I book and pay for the hotel and airfare and she covers meals,and tours, etc. When I ask do you want go to....Her answer is when are we leaving?? I have also traveled alone and the thing I don't like is eating alone. That took a little getting used to. But I got over it. Not all of us are lucky enough to have SO who like to travel so I have the next best thing! Happy trails!

Oct 6th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Anita

I travel alone mostly out of necessity. My friends and family usually don't want to spend the money, lack vacation time or aren't interested in the same places. It's occasionally lonely, but you can do exactly what you want to do. Now if we can just eradicate that most heinous of evils, the single supplement.

Oct 6th, 2000, 10:07 AM
hamlet

I've traveled alone in Europe 4 times, and I loved it. I was able to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, not having to worry about what my friend wanted, and I "covered more ground" too. I did experience those moments when you want to turn to someone next to you and say "Wow" or share a laugh with someone, but having the memory all to myself makes it special in another way. Overall though I was never lonely during these trips. I did meet and talk to so many other people along the way, locals and other travelers, that added so much to the experience and who I probably would not have met had I been traveling with someone else. Now I've met my match though and it seems like those days of traveling solo will be replaced by traveling with someone who makes it as much of a priority as I do.

Oct 6th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Becky

Thank you all for your responses. In answer to the question one of you asked, yes, I am planning a solo trip. Although I would prefer to go with someone else, most of my friends are now married and cannot go, my family has no interest in going, and I'm a single 25 year old, so I'm in a tough spot.

Oct 6th, 2000, 03:34 PM
lola

I've gone on my own a lot and find it challenging and engaging. I seem to concentrate twice as much when I'm on my own. You'll enjoy it if you recognize that it is different and special and if you can't find someone compatible--go!!

Oct 7th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Jodi

Becky, I have done it both ways and both ways are great. Oddly I do find I meet more people when alone though. Once, I evn met up with some Kiwis traveling in a VW van from Greece to Germany to Amsterdam and I traveled the whole way with them. I was their token Yank. I just suggest, keep open mind, smile and try to use the language of the place your in. You will have a spectualr time and you will find you are never lonely.

Oct 7th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Gina

I've traveled overseas about ten or twelve times in the last five years, and I'd say it's been half and half solo vs. traveling with friends. Most recently, I did a little of both: went (solo) to Greece with a Contiki island-hopping group for two weeks, on which I made a lot of very good friends, then went to London on a previously planned trip and met up with some of the friends from the Greece trip, who happen to live there.

I've traveled with various friends, both male and female, and with my parents. I've found that the advantage of traveling solo is that you don't have to wait until someone else's schedule, budget, and travel dreams fit in with your own. You can also, of course, decide exactly what you want to do and where to go. On the other hand, there are definitely times when you wish you could turn to someone and say "Hey, look at that (sunset, painting, beach, cathedral)" and share the moment.

That's why I try to mix it up...I love solo travel and being independent, but having people to travel with can also be a great deal of fun.

Oct 7th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Amy

Becky: I am a 25-year old single woman and am taking my first real trip. I'm heading to Italy Nov.23-Dec.14. This is my first time to Europe (I'm Canadian) and my first time traveling alone. Although I am a little nervous, I am mostly excited. Reading message boards has been the most helpful research I have done. I want to do most of my traveling alone but am hoping to make friends/aquaintences at the hostels. Hopefully when I get back, I will have some helpful hints for someone in a similar postion to mine!

Oct 7th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Pam

Very interested in this post. Are there travel groups out there made up of solo travelers (not necessarily single travelers)?

Oct 7th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Becky

Amy: Your trip sounds great. I hope you'll let me know how it goes when you return.

Oct 7th, 2000, 09:27 PM
Rex

One such organization is www.travelpals.org - - in theory they limit "membership" to the NYC tri-state area, but they welcome inquiries from anywhere, including stopping in on their meetings, if you are there at a right time.

And I always welcome personal inquiries about small group (custom, but not necessarily) tours which may or may not center around solo travelers.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio

Oct 8th, 2000, 09:50 AM
xxx

An amusing piece in today's New York Times with something to say to Becky's original question:

"An Armchair Husband"

Read it at www.nytimes.com/2000/10/08/travel/HUSBAND.html

Maybe the Becky's and Lucy's of the world can find opportunities to travel places together. Maybe Rex can put trips together for them. Maybe there will be peace in the Middle East.

Search this Thread