Do you take your laptop to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going back and forth with this. Yes, for emails, checking on weather, info, movies on the plane, etc. No bc of theft, what if no internet in hotel (checking on that) and just for the pleasure of being unplugged for two weeks.

So, did you take it? And if you did, was it a good idea? Thoughts please and thank you.

PS, we are going to Ireland and Paris and Normandy, if that makes any difference in your response.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Neopolitan

I was just getting ready to answer this, but I know I've done so a number of times when this question comes up and my replies and others' become quite long and detailed. I'd suggest you search "taking laptop" and you'll find a lot of opinions and details, including newer posts about wireless connections.

I will say I've taken mine and left mine home. I'm still undecided what I'll do this summer.

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM

I wouldn't take a laptop unless it was for a working trip. Part of the allure of travel is to get away from all of the day-to-day stuff going on. I also dislike having to pack the extra weight.

On the other hand, my son goes crazy when he doesn't have a computer or a cell phone available and he's miserable.

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM

God, no! My vacations include being away from computers. But that's just my situation - I totally understand that some people feel differently. For times when you absolutely need e-mail access, internet cafes are easy to find and you won't have to lug an extra bag around with you.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Yes, we both do and are now actively looking for places that don't have wireless or touch tone phones!!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Neopolitan

I think the big difference of opinion is between those who are stuck on a computer all day as part of their work, and those of us who aren't, but consider a computer just a toy or for fun and recreation and as a great source of getting information for our leisure activities (as I do).

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

If we're going to rent a car, yes. If not, I only carry my Pocket PC.

The weight issue is no longer what it once was. There are now subnotebooks that weigh about two pounds.

But I have stuff to do while away from home base that I <i>absolutely</i> won't do on a hired computer, so not taking <u>anything</u> along is not an option.

I do not consider using a computer as drudgery to be eschewed while vacationing any more than most people regard a cell phone as such. It's a tool, folks. Best to get over your negative connotations and use it.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Always do. Laptop and a PDA.That's one of those things that's not so easy to replace at Monoprix or the farmacia
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I took mine. It was good for the plane ride over and back. I was able to download my photos and look at them. Kept a journal. I didn't connect to the internet at all.

I left it unsecured in the armoire, never worried about it.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I only take it for work and if I am gone for over a month (and even that is is for debate). I am so attached to my laptop and it contains so much of what I need that I would not be able to replace it if I lost it. I do have an external hard drive where everything is stored, but still. . .

I write in a freehand journal, which makes it easier to leave technology behind. Give it a try!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I definitely do not drag a laptop with me, unless I am there working. I have a TMobile sidekick phone which has webbrowsing and email...and there are internet cafes nearly everywhere unless you are traveling to some extrememly remote area. I am on vacation and don't want to be tied down by technology. Believe me, after a few days of decompression, wine, strolling and lovely, relaxing meals, email is the last thing on my mind. If anyone needs me in a hurry, they can always call my cellphone. The most important people in my life know how to contact me and that is enough comfort for me.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Considering the amount of travel information I pack into mine, I just may be <u>pounds</u> ahead of those who carry maps, guides, brochures, books, magazines, music players, lists, and all that other stuff. When I have my PPC only, there's no doubt which way requires less schlepping.

Furthermore, I don't have to search by hand through anything that's in the form of a text file (such as Rough Guides or forum threads), because the program will find what I'm looking for in milliseconds.

BTW, I don't think &quot;lug&quot; is the right verb when you have something like this:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...o?series=P7120

(In case you missed it: this subcompact weighs 3 lbs. and will run for <b>eleven hours</b> on a battery charge.)
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Um, no, no laptap, no cell phones,etc. Part of a vacation (too me) is escaping all of that crap.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Even though it's going to increase our travel weight considerably I'm taking the laptop because I need it for storage and editing of digital photos. Ironically, going digital was supposed to save me travel weight because I wouldn't have to lug a bunch of rolls of film.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Yes, I do. I keep files from planning (itinerary information, contact numbers, traveler information, info on places to visit with hours, maps, directions, links) for reference during the trip and use it for email, storing digitial photos to free up space on the card in the camera, accessing information about local places/activities and, of course, having acess to www.fodors.com/forums.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:23 AM

There are lots of good reasons to carry a laptop, but with the price of camera memories hovering around $25 per gigabyte¹, I don't think storing and editing digital images is one of them. Get a whole bunch of small cards and plan on not unloading them until you get home.

¹ Shop buy.com and ecost.com - they have had free-after-rebate deals on 256mb modules over the past few weeks.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM

There are quite a lot of Internet cafes in Europe. You can read your email, etc, when you feel like it. Without having another piece of luggage to guard. As for digital photos, just buy another card.

We happened to be in Italy at the time of 9/11. Fellow travelers had not yet left the US. To find out their plans, we checked email. We found Internet cafes in Assisi and Orvieto. In San Gimignano, the florist rented us some time on her computer. Another time in Montalcino, when the Internet cafe was closed, an old man let us use his home computer for a fee. Both the latter were advertised by small signs. Europeans were very sympathetic to Americans at the time.

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM

We are going back and forth on this also, but leaning towards not taking it. We can check email and write in our blogs from an internet cafe when we want to. For photos, flash cards are so cheap we can store all our photos on the cards and then deal with them when we get home. Not having the laptop will be one less thing to think about.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I will take my:

-Laptop
-Blackberry
-Cellphone
-IPod
-Game Boy
-Abacus

My only concern then will be lightning when I am out and about missing a lot of the country I came to see.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I shoot 10MB-20MB RAW files and I shoot tethered to the laptop a lot so even though I would like to just buy more CF cards for storage I still end up needing (or at least wanting) the laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -