Do you need a car in Rouen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be making Bayeux our home base for five days in April of next year. At the moment we plan on renting a car for the full five days. One of the places we are planning on visiting is Rouen. Would we be better off taking the car that day or would hopping the train be easier? If a train is easier, we may just rent the car for four days instead.

I've been driving for 25 years and have had the pleasure ;-) of driving in LA traffic so I'm not easily intimidated in traffic. Thanks for all advice!!

E
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

though you can go by a sideline rail route with limited service i think the drive would be nice - go via famous Honfleur, etc. And near Rouen, which besides the world-famous cathedral has little of special interest - nearby Les Andelys is a spectacular ruined cloister overlooking the Seine - only reachable by car. And you can drive over the famous Tancarville (sp?) bridge.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Pausanias

I found driving in Rouen pretty difficult -- but we were making our way to a hotel in the center, where one way streets and pedestrian-only areas can be something of a headache. If you come in along the river and find and follow signs to public parking your probably won't have much trouble.

In addition to the Cathedral, there are two other major churches, the square where Joan of Arc was martyred, the aitre st Maclous, a former ossuary from the plague years, with macabre carvings, and a warren of beautiful medieval streets. At night a light show projects patterns evoking Monet's famous paintings on Notre Dame. We spent the night but you can probably see most sites in a day (except the light show, which might not be on in April).

I'm guessing that the cloister the previous poster mentioned is Jumieges, a ruined abbey between Rouen and Honfleur. Well worth an hour's exploring.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM

"driving in Rouen pretty difficult" doesn't begin to state the case! We spent 3 hours going back and forth across the many bridges (7? 8?) before we found the right way to our hotel. So avoid driving by all means.

Besides the "ruined cloister" near Les Andelys, theré are also the impressive ruins of a castle built on the orders of Richard Coeur-de-Lion, the Château Gaillard. The view from the castle precincts is amazing.

Jumièges Abbey is some distance away, but it's decidedly worth a visit--as are the others along the Abbaye Route.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Driving in most French cities is not recommended. On the other hand, driving to the city might offer opportunities that the train ride might not. If going via Honfleur, do not miss the "route des chaumes" where irises are planted on the peak of the thatch roofs. April might be the right time, or might be a little too early.