Do you like my Paris Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all the advice many Fodorites have given me, I have come up with my Paris itinerary. Now, things may not go as planned and I may choose to be oh so reckless and abandon it, but at least I have it if I want the structure.

Arrive June 29th (Tuesday) and just stroll around Champs, Rue St. Honore, Montaigne and do some shopping perhaps. I will be getting over jet lag so I don't want to over do it. Then, go to dinner by my hotel (have lots of recommendations from Fodors!) , check out the Opera house, and go to bed early

June 30th (Wednesday) - do the free 2 hour tour of Notre Dame and then check out the Le Marais district. Take a walk around and have lunch at a fabulous cafe OR have a picnic at Place des Vosges.

July 1st (Thursday) - Louvre, and then dinner before we do the Seine River Cruise (will be doing the Vedettes de Pont Neuf, thanks again everyone!), end the cruise at Eiffel Tower when it is sparking. Should I take the elevator to the top? I am debating this.

July 2nd (Friday) - check out Montemarte. I hear it is oh so charming and I want to stroll around, get lunch at a cafe, and perhaps go to the top of the Sacre Coeur?? Is that worth it?

Now, I know I could probably spend another week here, but unfortunately I leave on Saturday. What do you think? Am I missing something major that I absolutely must see?
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I meant "sparkling", not sparking. I hope the Eiffel Tower is not sparking! HAHA.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM

By "checking out the Opera House" I would suggest you do a guided tour of the Opera House. It is one of the most interesting and fascinating tours you can do in Paris. The interior is amazing and the guide includes lots of info on Garnier and Hausmann. http://www.operadeparis.fr/cns11/live/onp/
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Hi Jill,

<< do the free 2 hour tour of Notre Dame and then check out the Le Marais district >>

What are you doing Wednesday morning? Taking things at leisure or do you have some sights or areas you'll visit? Or did I misread and you'll be in the Marais in the morning but it sounds as though you'll go to the Marais after the ND tour which will be late afternoon.

<< end the cruise at Eiffel Tower when it is sparking >>

The Vedettes end the ride where they begin - at the Pont Neuf. As I said in your other post if you take this boat and want to be at the Eiffel Tower when it sparkles then you should take the boat that leaves on the half hour (I believe there is one at 10:30). The trip takes an hour and goes from the Pont Neuf to the ET and then turns around so the ET is half way through the cruise. The boat does not dock midway (none of the boats do).

You'll also have time on Friday to do something else besides Montmartre as you will not need the whole day, unless you want to spend the day there.

<< Am I missing something major that I absolutely must see? >>

IMHO you are missing Ste-Chappelle, located near Notre Dame. You could easily do this in the morning before the ND tour.

There are certainly many, many things to see and do in Paris but you can't do it all in 3 days.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne - I am going to do the free Notre Dame tour at 2 pm (thanks to info provided by you!), so I do have the morning open. So, perhaps I will check out the Sainte-Chapelle. However,since Ile St-Louis is also right there, I might stroll around over there.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:13 AM

By all means, do not miss Sainte Chapelle!! Try to see it on a sunny day. It would not be difficult to see Ste Chapelle and Ile St. Louis in one morning provided the line at Ste. Chapelle is not too long. Go there first to make sure the shops on Ile St. Louis are open when you get there.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:01 AM

On Friday, I might start on the Left Bank, perhaps starting at Jardins de Luxembourg, walk along St Germain, Rue de Buci, Cluny,etc...lunch, then to Montmartre. Take funicular to Sacre Coeur, walk back down via Place des Tertres...maybe dinner up there.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM

And add Palais Royal to your first day. A classic square near the Louvre. If you really like antiques, check out the Louvre des Antiquaires, across street from Louvre. It is a 3 story building with high end antique shops.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Michel - Thanks for the suggestions in regards to adding more to the day when I am visiting Montemarte.

You mention to add Palais Royal to the 1st day?? Did you mean to add it to Thursday? (the day I am going to the Louvre)
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:43 AM

I agree that you shouldn't miss Ste. Chapelle. Be sure to check the hours it is open - we stood in line for quite some time and almost didn't make it in because it was closing (and it was a weird time - like 2:00 p.m. or something like that). I also love the Musee D'Orsay.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:45 AM

Could be either,, it is near St Honore also. Perhaps the Louvre day.

As part of your wander on the first day, go to Place Vendome...as well as being location of Ritz, there are some very high end jewellers that are nice for window shopping.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:57 AM

For Montmartre, look at the Montmartrobus. Shuttle trolley that goes around the sights,stopping at each.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Do you think I should see a concert at Ste. Chapelle or leave that off the list and just visit this chapel?

I will definitely add Place Vendome to my list of strolling. Perhaps have some drinks/appetizers at the Ritz to ring in my 30th! Thanks for pointing that out.

What are your thoughts on the Eiffel Tower? Worth it to take the elevator to the top? What about Sacre Coeur to the top? Is that a must do?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:21 AM

St Chapelle must be seen during a sunny day, to really appreciate the stained glass. I went to a concert, for one thing as something to do at night, and it is a neat feeling to be sitting in this centuries old building, listening to classical music from the period.

Eiffel tower, I would go up for the view (you could also try to get a reservation for lunch). But in my world, I don't like lining up for hours...so plan to go first thing in morning. I've also read here that at night is not too bad either. During day, tour buses and tourists galore.

Sacre Coeur is at the top of Montmartre. In front of the church are the steps where people sit and look our over the city, the vast pananorama of Paris there before you. The church itself, was IMHO not that interesting. Not sure if there is something you can climb up in the church.

The Tour Montparnasse (can't miss it, scyscraper in central Paris) has views and a nice restaurant.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:22 AM

Another vote for Ste Chapelle, it would be a shame not to see when you're so close.

I would also fit in the Musee d'Orsay if you can. The Impressionist paintings are well worth a visit.

I don't think you need a full day to see Montmartre.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I am definitely not a fan of waiting on lines. Waste of my precious time while I am in Europe. I believe you can prebuy the tickets to the top of the Eiffel. I am going to do that. Perhaps I might skip the Sacre Coeur. If I get my panaroma view from the Eiffel Tower, I don't think I will need another. Still want to go to Montemarte though....

I see on the Louvre website that teachers get in free. Does that mean even for an American teacher? Or is only for teachers in France? If I do get in free, will I have to wait in a long line. I really want to prebuy my tickets so I don't have to wait in line.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:44 AM

Here is part of a window shopping day I've done several times in Paris which would fit nicely with your list of things to do on day one.

Stroll to Place de la Concorde where Marie Antoinette lost her head then up rue Royale to the Place de Madeleine for "window licking" at the beautiful and expensive food shops like Maille, Hediard & Fauchon http://www.fauchon.fr/cadeauxprives/...deM=SU31Active

Head back down rue Royale to St. Honore and on to Place Vendome to peek in famously expensive watch and jewelry shops like Patek Philip and Van Cleef & Arpel. Stop for a drink at the famous Bar Hemingway at the Ritz http://www.ritzparis.com/jump_to.asp...1340&id_lang=2

Walk up rue de la Paix for a visit of the Palais Garnier (Opera House). See the Grand staircase and Grand foyer as well as the perhaps still controversial Chagall ceiling.

From there walk up rue Halevy to Galeries Lafayette Department store to see the lobby then on to Printemps Department Store to see the stained glass dome from the sixth floor Cafe Flo.

Take the metro to the Arc de Triomphe and go up in it for great views. Champs Elysees is not all that interesting IMO as far as window shopping- Louis Vuitton, Sephora, Virgin Megastore... places you can visit in most city but this is a perfect opportunity to stroll the world famous street.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM

On Wednesday start with Sainte Chapelle at 4 blvd. du Palais (Metro St. Michel or Cite). I never miss this! So much more beautiful inside than Notre Dame. Be sure to see both levels. I know people who actually only toured the first level, never realizing there was a second level with the beautiful soaring stained glass windows.

After Sainte Chapelle and before Notre Dame visit the flower market at place Louis-Lepine on Ile de la Cite (Metro Cite) which is open 8am-7pm. On Sundays it is a bird market instead of flowers. It is a great photo opportunity either way and is located between Sainte Chapelle and Notre Dame.

In the Marais be sure to walk the busy rue des Rosiers and pop into Sacha Finkelsztajn, 27 rue des Rosiers for an east European pastry. Look for the bright yellow facade.

Walk to Place de Vosges and visit Victor Hugo's residence at #6. The rooms have been restored in exactly the way he furnished them including furniture he made and photographs he took.
Ann Marie
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Ann Marie - thank you so much for all the recommendations. It is great. Is it free to go in Sainte Chapelle? I love flowers so I will be sure to check out the flower market. It sounds lovely.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:41 AM

There is a fee for St Chapelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -