Reload this Page >

Do you know this hotel?

Search

Do you know this hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 07:46 AM
Charley

Do you know this hotel?

I have researched Rome hotels and find that the pictures and description of the Hotel Turner are amazing. My only problem is that I do not find any reccommendtions or reviews in the travel books. Also, I am interested in any information on the Teatro di Pompeo Hotel. We are going to be there for 3 days on our own, October 7-10, 2000. Thanks much!

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:02 AM
judy

Hi Charley, I read about the Turner Hotel in Gambero Rosso's guidebook! They gave it Romes best 3 star hotel and I even considered it, but the location was not what I wanted. So maybe you can access it on their website!www.gamberorosso.com I hope this helps!

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Charley

Thank you so much Judy!! I'll follow up your suggestion.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:27 AM
marty

Judy: Would you check the address for the website that you gave. When I try to go there, I get the "unable to locate the server" message.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Ed

Location is out of the way for most visitors to Rome. Considering how little time one spends in the hotel and how much time one spends sightseeing and finding good restaurant options there are much better locations more central to the interests of most visitors. <BR> <BR>Haven't done the Teatro di Pompeo ourselves, but we've heard excellent feedback. The location is far superior to the Turner. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Charley

Marty, I found that by substituting .it for .com, the site appeared, however i was unable to get hotel information. I imagine the Guide itself will provide more information.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Charley

Ed, while the hotel is out of the way, is it difficult to get to the center of Rome from there? It is so beautiful! If you have another beautiful hotel which you can reccommend which will make us feel that we are really in Rome, not Iowa, I would so much appreciate your input. Also we cannot afford more than about 300,000 ItL per night, and would prefer to pay less. <BR>Thank you so much!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Paulo

Unfortunately, the very nice Teatro di Pompeo has two drawbacks: a) it will cost you over Lit 300,000 (possibly Lit 360,000) and by now I would be surprised if you were able to find vacancies. <BR> <BR>As Ed pointed out, the Turner (approx 1 km north of the Termini station) is out of the way for the average tourist and, most probably, is cheaper than other hotels in the same class because of it. Regarding transportation to the centre of the old town, the location is fair. There are a number of buses that you can get at Piazzale Porta Pia (either to Piazza della Reppublica or Termini station and a bus or metro thereafter, or directly to some sites); a stroll from the hotel to the Termini station should take 12 minutes. <BR> <BR>IMO, the best area to stay in Rome is the Campo de' Fiori, Pantheon and Piazza Navona area. I would personally rate the Piazza di Spagna, towards Via del Corso, as 2nd best area to stay in Rome. I wouldn't care to stay near the Vatican or the Colosseum. I'm afraid though, that you may have a hard time finding a 3-star hotel room in these two areas in early October for under Lit 300,000. Chances are that if you wish to be better located you should go for a 2-star property, like Albergo Campo de' Fiori or Albergo del Sole (not the Sole al Pantheon, which is a 4-star) well within your budget. Personally, I would go for location instead of confort. It's your call, though. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Judy

Charlie, sorry about the info about the url...I think the guidebook is helpful and I also am considering location over luxory! I had considered these hotels San Carlo hotel, Genio,Luxor, and Locarno, Siena and eventually settled on the Portoghesi(good locale and good reviews generally). We are going in Sept. and wanted air conditioning and atomosphere.. Read the GamberoRosso's. I bought it at Barnes&Noble. It also has a lot of resturant reviews, Good luck and keep on looking till you feel comfortable with all aspects of your hotel! Judy

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 12:15 PM
nancy

Charley, <BR>Haven't been yet, but we are looking for a hotel for a day/2days until our apartment is available. <BR>I agree with Judy that GAMBERRO ROSSO , ROME is an excellent book for hotels, <BR>(I am an obsessed book buyer, and now have at least 8 different travel books and 6 language books, all on Italy) <BR>Get that book!!!! <BR>nancy

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:46 AM
virginia

Hello. I just returned from my first visit to Italy. We did not stay at the Teatro di Pompeo (no rooms available when we called, we stayed at the Portoghesi), however it was highly recommended to me by a friend. <BR>However, we did have dinner one night nearby in the Campo di Fiori, and the neighborhood is nice and location is very good for getting around and seeing sights. <BR>If you decide on the Teatro di Pompeo, I thought I would advise that the Campo is quite a hopping night spot--seems to be a major youth hangout--which might be just what you are looking for, or not. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Luigi

Charley, <BR>We stayed at the Teatro di Pompeo in Oct of 98 and had a very nice stay. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, including arranging an early morning taxi to the train station, as there was a bus strike starting the day we were leaving. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast, while not particulary innovative, was a nice way to plan each days travels while sitting in an ancient ruin of a theater. <BR> <BR>We are going back in October and I am torn between three hotels. One in the Piazza di Spagna area: Hotel Mozart; and two in the Pantheon area: Hotel Santa Chiara and Albergo Cesari. Paulo and/or Ed or anyone else out there, have you been to or have personal knowledge about these three? I love the area around the Pantheon, but don't think it is too far a walk from Via dei Greci where the Mozart is. HELPPPP!! Please. Thanks e grazie!!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:44 PM
tab

Paulo, Why don't you like the area around the Vatican?

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Charley

Message: Luigi, <BR>It's funny but i have rather zeroed in on a couple of hotels in the Spanish Steps area also. After investigating and reading, i have applied (emailed) to the following: Mozart, Condotti, Internazionale, La Residenza,Garda, Pincio, Caprice, Alexandra, Forte,and Le Petit. <BR> <BR>I made my decisions based on where i would probably prefer to "hang out," rather than on the distance to the sights. I also wanted to stay near the metro so that I could use the fast transportation (faster than buses, by far)and also be able to get to the Termini so that we can catch the train to the airport the morning we return home. <BR> <BR>You can also look up the Bernini Bristol, the Britannia,the hotel at Spanish Steps, the Barocco and the Cesari. <BR> <BR>If you have a problem finding these hotels, let me know and i will tell you where i found them. Start with www.venere.it. <BR> <BR>Good luck, Charley <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:55 AM
Diann

The Hotel San Carlo on Via della Carrozze is very near the Spanish Stairs and in a great location for many sites. We did lots of walking and always enjoyed returning to the fountain to fill our water bottles. Next time in Rome I may choose a different location just for the variety, but as an artist once said, the Spanish Stairs are the center of the center of the world.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Luigi

Charley, <BR>Thanks for the ideas. I actually am schizo about this whole thing, which is driving my girlfriend nuts. I HAD a reservation at the Cesari but heard that the Mozart was much nicer. So I cancelled the one and booked the other. Why I can't just let it rest is my "problem". I just keep looking for the "magical" hotel at a good price. I too, like to walk everywhere, and I love the area around the Steps. It's just that last time, we were at the Teatro and it seemed really centrally located (and close to the Sant'Eustachio caffe. One of the two best coffee places in Rome (hence, the entire world). So, I will probably just shut up and keep what I have. Hope your stay turns out well. I particulary like the idea of being able to take the metro, rather than a taxi, on Sunday when we are taking the train to Venice. <BR> <BR>And Diann, who is the artist you quoting? I liked that quote. Thanks all.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 07:56 AM
rswartz

i am also trying to find a place in mid sept by the spanish steps....must be something going on as most hotels i have called are full...anybody know anything about the inn at the spansih steps or the grand hotel palace? Both were found on Venere.it and are available...? Thanks.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Joann Tyson

I am having the same problems picking a hotel for November in Rome and driving my husband crazy. My friends reccomended the Hotel Diplomatic but although the location was excellant (right near the spanish steps) the rooms were too plain for me. So I fell in love with the pictures on the Luxor and found ONE guidebook that reccommended it and I think the location is fine but what do I know. Anyway, I contacted a guide person in Rome and he says not to choose the Luxor but does not say why and recommended the Hotel Stella instead. Please let me know what hotel you do end up staying at and email me when you get back ([email protected]) especially if you loved it so I can change my reservations if necessary. We are currently reserved at Hotel Luxor for 190,000 ITL per night. I just want to make the best choice, too!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Diann

The artist is Giorgio de Chirico, a metaphysical artist now dead; also friend of Luigi Barzini and others. I haven't been, but his apartment-museum is, I believe, next to the Keats House: 011 39 06 679-6546 open Tuesday-Saturday, reservations required. The Piazza de Spagna area is crowded but wonderful! We walked literally everywhere in Rome from here.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Paulo

I'm sorry not having seen this for a couple of weeks <BR> <BR>Luigi: I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you refer to. A friend of mine stayed at the Santa Chiara a couple of years ago and had only good things to say about it. <BR> <BR>Tab: I really have no strong feelings against staying at the Vatican or near the Colosseum. I only think that both areas are more to the dead side in the evenings/nights. I like to stay in a more lively area. Since I always go out for dinner in Trastevere twice per visit, I rate the Vatican area somewhat higher than the Colosseum. But I love Campo de' Fiori, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon area, at any time of the day. It's nice to be able to stroll bye when leaving or arriving at the hotel on foot. One other plus is that this area is more central to the sites taken as a whole. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -