Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you know a nice hotel in Rome for $100?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Paige

Hello! Can you recommend a nice hotel, in a good location in Rome that has a double with private bath for $100 or less a night? We'll be going in Feb or March so air conditioning is not an issue. We'd like someplace quiet and close to all the good stuff. If you have the phone number, address and e-mail, please include them. Thanks!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:44 AM
gloria

Hello, Paige. <BR>My husband and I spent 10 days in Roma, and always stayed at a Pensione/Hotel. <BR>What features are you looking for? We found many nice places for under $100. <BR>We were there in March, had 70 plus degrees temperature, and had lots of availability. I'll send you some information this weekend!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:45 AM
DINA

Paige, <BR> <BR>I can probably help you! <BR> <BR>I am staying at the Hotel Stella in Sept I was also think of going in Feb/Mar but have changed ours minds ! But I got a quote from Hotel Stella and she quoted me 90,000 Liras per room per night (special rate as it is winter there)that is roughly 45 dollars ? (i'm english so my conversions my be wrong!) <BR>But that is an abosolute bargain. The hotel has been recommended by a work colleague and is in an excellant location : near the train station and close walking distance of the Steps and fountains. Check out their website: www.travel.it/roma/hotelstella/index.htm. e-mail: [email protected] Lady to contact is Livia.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Paige

Thanks, Dina and Gloria! We're looking for something clean (of course!), comfortable, QUIET, with at least a little personality, close to major sites in an interesting area with restaurants and shops nearby and if possible, with a good breakfast. Also, we prefer rooms that aren't tiny and my hubby likes to have a TV (yeah, I know!). I've been a couple of times and stayed near the train station, so I'd like to avoid that area this time if possible. My husband has never been. We'll probably stay 5 nights and would like to spend less than $100 per night. I printed the recommendations from twenj.com so any comments on those or other recommendations would really be appreciated!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Maira

Paige--- Those were my exact requirements and after some research and consideration, I am booked on Hotel Forte, Via Margutta 61 for February. Very close to the Spanish Steps, located on a pedestrian street surrounded by antique shops and restaurants. I decided (the adventurous side...) to venture for a little known small hotel in a quiet street. Under $100 for a triple (special Internet offer). I will be posting on the outcome upon return.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Paige

Maira, can you post the internet address? Thanks!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Maira

Paige--- try the following sites http://www.venere.it/it/roma/forte/ <BR>http://www.italmarket.it/rm/hotelforte/home.htm <BR> <BR>Click on Special Offers for the rates that I had mentioned previously. I also compiled a list of recommended, inexpensive restaurants near this hotel. If you end up around this area, let me now and I'll e-mail it to you.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:28 AM
erica

Maira, please do report on this hotel when you get back. I saw it and thought it looked nice on venere.it - especially like the idea of staying on the same street as Joe Bradley in Roman Holiday. There is a website with pictures of Via Margutta 51 now set against pictures from the movie, it's pretty cool: www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/4290/rome.htm <BR> <BR>"By all means Rome. I shall cherish my visit in memory here as long as I live."

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Paige

Hey Maira, that hotel looks great! I sent them an e-mail. If I get a reservation I'll e-mail you for your restaurant list. Thanks!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Maira

Erica--- thank you for the reference to the 'Roman Holiday' movie and the interesting website link. While reading for the trip, I find out about the connection. Pretty cool. I'll let you know all about it! <BR> <BR>Paige---- They (Franco) were very good at answering the mail promptly. They will probably offer to pick you up at the airport. The rate they offer was 80,000ITL and I took it as I will be traveling with my young niece. Best of luck! Keep me posted!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Paige

I have a reservation at the Hotel Forte. Sounds good to me! We're going in a few weeks so I'll post a report when we get back.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 02:45 AM
Maira

Paige--- I will be e-mailing to you the list of restaurants. I'll be back on Feb 25th and planning to post about the hotel, etc..

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Paige

Hello! Just got back from 5 nights in Rome at the Hotel Forte. We paid 200,000ITL per night for a double with breakfast. We liked the hotel and thought it was quite nice. It's in a great location, right by the Spanish steps on a quiet (as quiet as a street in Rome can be!) side street. The rate posted inside our door was 380,000 and I don't think I would pay that much. There were a few minor flaws, but nothing significant. For example, when we turned on the bathroom light the fan came on as well and it was really loud. Also, we had a tub with a shower curtain and sprayer, but no wall mount for the sprayer. Not a big deal and you'll likely find the same in many hotels. The room was nicely decorated and clean, the bed was comfy and the staff was friendly. I'd stay there again unless I wanted to spend more per night.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Monica

Hi Maira! <BR> <BR>I'm going to go to Italy in October with Dawn and would like to also get your restaurant notes. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Maureen

Hi Maira: <BR>I am going to Rome in late March, and would also love to get your restaurant notes, too! <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Rex

to the top for Gail... <BR> <BR>maybe if topping added "keywords" <BR> <BR>budget rome hotels <BR>budget rome hotel <BR>budget hotel rome <BR>budget hotels rome <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR>