Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you eat fast food while in Europe, ie, McDo, KFC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have kids in tow, do you try out other country's versions of American fast food joints?

How do they differ, say, in France, or Germany from the US standards?
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:06 AM

We try not to go to the American chains, but sometimes you just want a McDonald's Hamburger! It's usually when we've been overseas for a while. Also, if we're in a hurry at a train station, there is always a McDonald's or Burker King where we can grab something quickly. For the most part, I've found that they're pretty much spot on to the American locations minus a few hit and misses.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM

No.

The only times we ate at American chains were:

In Guatemala City and my wife became ill eating other food and we hoped that McDonald's maintained decent hygiene standards and they did.

We were in Spain for many months and we tried a KFC. It was clearly superior to those in the US.

We were also in Paris the week the first McDonald's opened on the Champs in 1972. We saw, what we thought, were only tourists eating there. We returned a few years ago, and we saw, what we thought were Parisennes eating there.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM

I generally don't eat that stuff at home OR when I'm traveling. I have a real aversion to even the smell of most fast food joints. That said, years ago I took my kids to a MacD's in Périgueux, and they said it tasted nothing like MacD's at home in the States.

I believe all the MacD's in Europe have some sort of local twist to them - wine and beer, croissants, stuff like that that's different from in the States.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM

We live overseas and the only fast food place we have is McD's - so we try to avoid that like crazy. Exception - my teens like to get the hashbrowns.

But - I have to admit - we all get a little excited at a Burger King or Subway or Pizza Hut!!!!

We don't make a habit of going into these places - but once or twice usually satisfies our "need!"
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Actually, the only two times I eat at fast food chains like McDonalds is when I want fast drive through food on a road trip in the US and on the day of arrival in foreign countries, both in Europe and Asia. With jet lag, airplane food, stress, etc. I now often go to a McD's or similar for an entree salad on my day of arrival. Easy to order, know what I am getting, and light food.

As for comparison to US, I think the sandwiches and salads tend to taste very similar. The menus often include local offerings of beer, seafood, etc. The beverages may not be iced. Not sure what standards you are referring to.

Old May 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Although I rarely eat fast food at home, when I'm abroad I will occasionally eat at McDonald's because sometimes I just want it to be easy and don't want to bother trying to figure out menus, etc. This is usually the first day off the plane when I'm jetlagged.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM

We actually ate in a EUROPEAN fast food chain place once (for all you Americans can't possibly cook as well as Europeans delusionals) and it was called "EuroSnak" or some similar spelling.

The WORST french fries I have ever eaten and the "hamburger" was some sort of mystery meat.

I think the fries at the Schiphol Burger King are almost as bad.

We actually don't eat fast food at home very much or abraod but the gaspacho at MCDo in Spain wasn't all that bad IMO and certainly no worse than some I've "experienced" at some of our "foodie" friends' houses here at home. At least the McDo version wasn't still moving!
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In France, the meat is not the same because not as much fat content is authorized in ground beef in France. McDonald's in France has made some quite admirable efforts to offer as many variations as possible on its products throughout the year, with burger items like the P'tit Moutarde, the McIndia, the Recette au Poivre, the McCanada, the McOriental, the Big Tasty Béarnaise, the McMexico, the Recette au Roquefort and whatever other atrocities they can think up.

They even sell a McCroque (croque monsieur).

It might also be noted that McDonald's France was the first to start selling salads, before the salads spread to the other McDonald's of the world. I admit that I go there about once every two months because I really like their Chicken Caesar Salad, which contains chicory, watercress, roquette, romaine and not the repulsive iceberg lettuce that is used in their other items.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Okay, I'll bite - what's a McCanada?
Poutine topping? Maple syrup coating? Buffalo patty?

Old May 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

GaryCA, your post reminds me of John Hurt's character in "Accidental Tourist." The guy only ate at American ff chain cause he couldn't be bothered with unfamiliar food. He played a role of a travel book hotel reviewer, in case you haven't seen the movie.

Interesting factoids on McD's in France, keruoac. One of my friends who had gone to a McD's in Honolulu said the breakfast menu included fried rice and longganisa (filipino sweet/savory sausage), a typical filipino breakfast.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM

I'll admit to eating at McD's in Ljubljana, Prague and Vienna because they were convenient and didn't require any thinking when I was tired. In all three cities, the chain is extremely popular with locals, both for takeout and sitdown. In Vienna, the location closest to St. Stephan's was an absolute mad house.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:44 AM

A few thoughts:

- I eat at McDonald's every once in a while, usually for the same reasons I would eat there in the US - convenience and proximity. I don't usually eat at BK, but that is because I prefer McD's

- The BK fries at Schiphol are awful indeed. This is par for the course for Schiphol. Great airport, lousy food.

- The McKroket, available at Schiphol is pure genius. I go out of my way to get one whenever transiting through AMS.

- I haven't been that enamored with some of the European chains. Some of them are awful, while others, like Quick are just okay. One exception is the Swedish chain Max, which is pretty good.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I don't actually eat in McD's in Europe, but I always try to at least stop by one, take a look around, and maybe take a photo if it is interesting enough. The McD's at the Spanish Steps in Rome is positively campy. I bought a bottle of water (and a not half bad gelato) there just to have an excuse to walk around and check things out. It was a Sunday in February during carnivale, and it seemed like every Roman family with a kid under 10 was there, complete with costume.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM

My last American fast food was a wopper from Burger King in London in 1989. We had just returned from Paris on a late train, then next to the Kenninston tube station. We ate it back at our rented apartment along with a single malt whisky. We were starved and as I remember it sure tasted good.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, I'll bite - what's a McCanada?

>> It has Canadian bacon on it instead of the other stuff.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM

McD - Yes, because they have McCafe and clean bathrooms.

BK - At the Naples airport one New Year's Eve, because it was the only place serving semi-decent looking food.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM

The McKroket is available at any McD's in the Netherlands.
My DIL is a serious McD's fan - even had part of her hen party in one
I occasionally visit a McDrive after walking the dogs as it is the only place for km's where I can get a coffee. I have to say the coffee has improved considerably lately. I never eat at a McD's, BK or any other place like that. Occasionlly (like once a year maybe) we will get patat and a berenklauw from the local snack bar. We used to visit Charlie Chiu's (an Indonesian fast food place) in Utrecht with the kids when they were younger. I don't know if it still there. In Brussels we would visit a Thai fast food restaurant.
When on holiday in the US we will eat at independent burger places, but I don't think we've eaten at one of the chains.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:17 AM

No, but does it count if I keep track of locations to use the bathrooms? I.e., Burger King in Picadilly Circus, McD's on the Champs Elysees.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Yup, we stopped at McD in Glasgow on the trip from Oban to Carlisle, needed a lunch stop, and it was quick and predictable. We liked the chips option (you could get American style fries instead, if you wanted) and that the burgers actually LOOKED like the pictures. The manager came by many of the tables (even at busy lunch hour) and called some customers by name, refilled things that weren't empty, etc. They had cadbury McFlurries

Of course, this is McDonalds in Scotland - a local franchise, it must be, with that name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -