Do we rent a Car in Italy???????

Aug 11th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Alison Torimus

Do we rent a Car in Italy???????

We are going to Italy in October and flying in and out of Milan. We plan to see Rome, Florence(and Tuscan countryside), and Venice. Should we rent a car, and for what parts of our trip. My thoughts are to take a train from Milan to Rome, see Rome and then rent the care to take us to Florence and from Florence to Venice, and then take a train back to Milan to fly out. Any help with this would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks-

Alison

Aug 11th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Santa Chiara

I would rent a car only for the Rome to Florence part. Ditch the car in Florence and go to Venice by train.

Aug 11th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Bob

You will get different opinions on this question. My wife and I prefer to have a car and always do Europe that way. We flew into Milan last year and drove to Venice, then down to Siena for a week, then to Cinque Terre for 2 nights and then Bellagio for 3 nights before flying out of Milan. We used the car to get out and explore the small towns and out of the way places. Driving was easy, although Italians do like to tailgate. I know you do not need a car in Venice, but our trip just worked out that way because we got a good 2 week rate. Plus, we enjoyed the town of Sirmione on the way from Milan to Venice. You cannot do that on a train. Bottom line: Trains are nice, but they have schedules. Cars are more flexible. I think your plan of train to Rome and no car there is great. You do not need a car in that city. Driving there is horrible. Get your car after Rome as planned and enjoy Tuscany. Any questions, email me.

Aug 11th, 2000, 03:49 PM
BillJ

We did Italy by car couple of years ago. Would definately advise car for Tuscany, Siena, Florence, etc. Just too much to see, off the beaten track, and do it on your own time. Drive to Venice from Florence will show you many intriquing little villages perched on hillsides off the autostrada. If you have time, use the car. If not, probably train is best. We always use a car, but maybe we're a little crazy that way.

Aug 11th, 2000, 08:08 PM
gb

We, also, like the car. Like the ability to go in whatever direction we chose. Easier to lug luggage with 2 kids in tow.

Aug 12th, 2000, 08:21 AM
C Sheen

Alison: Just a little tip. I rented a car in Florence instead of Rome because at the time of my rental (next week) cars in Florence (picked up at the train station not the airport) cost half as much as renting in Rome. I am saving $300 by using a car out of Florence and the train to Florence takes less than two hours and costs about $30 per person(second class). Of course it depends on the type of car you want(stick shifts are a lot cheaper). I needed an automatic. So if you check on the internet, try out the different cities and that may determine just which city you pick the car up in. From this forum, I get the impression most people think you need a car for the best tour of Tuscany, Also, rent as early as possible. The price can change. Wish me luck.

Aug 12th, 2000, 09:00 AM
net

Depends on what kind of traveller you are, but I would highly recommend the train system in Italy. Last year we found the rails to be extremely reliable and cost efficient. No hassles with parking. Would recommend renting a car to explore Tuscany.