Do we need reservations in smaller towns

Mar 29th, 1999, 04:40 PM
Donna

Do we need reservations in smaller towns

We are traveling in Germany for two weeks starting April 22nd. Is it necessary to have reservations in the smaller cities and towns? We already have accommodations for the larger cities.

Mar 29th, 1999, 05:05 PM
wes fowler

Donna,
Even the smallest towns have tourist offices where one can find accommodations if all else fails. Traveling off season as you are should create no problems. In addition to gasthauses, which can be quite charming, be on the lookout for roadside signs announcing "Zimmer frei". You'll find accommodations there as well. If you'll be traveling in Upper Bavaria, Email me directly. I can provide you with the names and addresses of any number of village tourist offices south of Munich.

Apr 5th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Bob

We are traveling to Kaiserslautern (Katzweiler) in Sept. '99. Can you suggest a B&B in the area.

Thanks

Apr 5th, 1999, 07:21 PM
Glenn

Donna. I agree with Wes that you will not need reservations (this was July). Last summer, we did not have any reservations as we traveled. We did not have any problems during our travels, if you can't get a room in one town go to the next town over. We went to a small inn in the Black Forest and we were the only guests in the entire place. Not every town will have a torist office or it might be closed. What many small villages have is a glass display glass with info on homes that offer rooms or inns in town. I feel that it is part of the fun, exploring and find a small inn or room tucked away somewhere.
Have fun !

Apr 6th, 1999, 02:33 PM
Ed

Usually no problem in the smaller towns almost anywhere. You'll never go without a place to sleep.

Particularly this time of year, you should have your choice of hotels and rooms.

Ed

Apr 6th, 1999, 03:37 PM
Richard

Donna, If your schedule allows, try to stay in a small town on May 1, a great holiday, particularly in southern Germany. Maypoles are intricately carved and festooned, and a celebration with parades and a village picnic is standard. A lot of fun and a good way to meet locals. We travel by bike and so we're never sure where we'll be at the end of the day, and we've never had a problem with lodging, in Germany.

Search this Thread