Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do they really charge you to SIT in a Piazza in Italy???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I am going to Italy (Genova to be exact) in a few weeks and I just found out that they charge you there to just SIT in a piazza!!! Is this really true?? And if so, how much does it cost? Do they charge you per hour, per person?
And I thought I would be tight for money before... anyway, I guess it would be worth it?
Any info on this subject would be great!
cheers,
kate
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Where did you hear this?

I've never experienced anything of this sort in Italy
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Yes, the piazzas in Italy are ringed with personal parking meters. You station yourself next to one and put in as many euro coins as you need for however much time you want to spend sitting. There are metermaids who pass by periodically to check the meters. If you're caught they can either fine you, whip you with cold cooked spaghetti, or both.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:57 AM

You won't be charged to simply hang out in a piazza! People are generally refering to having coffee, cappucino, etc at an outdoor cafe. It costs much more to sit and have coffee than it does to take the coffee away with you. Hence you are sort of paying to sit. Once you order the table is yours for as long as you want to stay. You will feel no pressure to leave.

While two cappucinos cost us over $20Cdn in San Marco, we considered it money well spent! We were able to watch the dueling orchestras play for hours!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Hey Aggie,
I heard this from my dad! I guess he heard it from people who had traveled there? I know he's not the most reliable source, which is why I'm asking on the board.
It's good to hear though that you haven't experienced this, quite a relief actually!
Thanks,
kate
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware that they charged you only to sit in an outdoor cafe. That makes some sense!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM

StCirq, LOL!!!

Now I know how I shall make a living when I retire someday in Europe - I'll just set up personal "sitting" meters in some touristy piazza!!!

(j/k)

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:15 AM

FYI: this also applies to indoor coffee houses. If you order your caffe and drink it at the bar, it costs less than if you sit down at one of the establishment's tables.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM

StCirq ... my hubby wants to know where the lady with the cold spaghetti is - any information would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Thank goodness StCirq took the words right from my mouth. Well done.

ps Where do people get so much disinformation?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I think this disinformation comes about because as others here have said if you order your drink and stand and drink it the cost is less then if you sit at a table.

But the tourist does not know this. If they want to sit at a table they are to sit at a table and the waiter will take their order.

If they want to join the residents who walk in, order their drink at the bar and then stand there and drink it the cost is less.

Often I have had people complain about being "ripped off" because of this lack of knowledge regarding this custom.

No doubt katie's father's friends had this happen to them and thus complained.

Italy gets so many tourist it would probably be a good idea if there was a sign displaying prices for bar versus table. Or pass out a leaflet at the airport when tourist arrive??? LOL.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Maybe what they mean is, there aren't any "free" tables for sitting in piazzas. At San Marco square in Venice we made the mistake of buying a gelato and plunking ourselves down at an empty table, among dozens of other empty tables at an entirely empty outdoor seating area. In the USA you can usually get away with this. However, a waiter materialized and informed us we would have to leave unless we wanted to order something. Even though he had no customers, he was protecting ALL of his tables! (The nearby gelato stand wasn't owned by the same people and had NO tables of its own.)
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM

Melissa5: in the USA you get away with it? Wow! Not so 'Down Under' I'm afraid. Sit at a table anywhere here, and you'll be moved on if you don't buy. (However, piazzas or plazas or open spaces here may have some 'park bench' style seating which is OK to sit at because it's not tied to a cafe).
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:56 AM

i think that it is common practice in the US and elsewhere for a waiter to "protect" his tables in an outdoor cafe type place. exceptions to this might be places like mcdonalds or picnic table arrangements.

try to plop down in a nice, empty (but open) outdoor cafe in NY or Boston and i'm sure you will have exactly the same experience.

i would expect the waiter to reserve his tables...especially in one of the world's most touristed squares! Very reasonable in my opinion.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:22 AM

To clear up a misconception: The situation about sitting in unoccupied tables is pretty much the same in the US as it is in Italy or any other European country. You cannot just plunk yourself down at an outdoor empty table owned by a restaurant and not order anything.
However, there are often chairs and tables set up in public areas near food stands, such as Bryant Park in New York, where anyone can sit down.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:57 AM

LoveItaly, In coffee bars, I believe there IS a sign posted, usually behind the cashier, that displays the prices for standing versus sitting ("tavola&quot. Unfortunately, the tourists have no idea what it means since it is in Italian and they have no suspicion that such a custom exists.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Hi ellenem, thanks for your post. I tried to remember if I have ever seen a sign but sure don't remember seeing any but have never looked for one as always knew the custom.

It does seem to me to be the biggest complaint I have ever heard from first timers to Italy (although almost everyone I have known that has gone to Italy loves it with a few exceptions).

And actually the few that have complained took tours rather then travelling on their own.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I just want to add that it is considered rude to order at the bar, pay "stand up" prices, and then sit. One may be asked to move.

I have never encountered an outdoor cafe in the US that allows folks to sit for a rest, with or without food from another establishment. It isn't that different from walking into an empty indoor restaurant, and wanting to use a table to eat a snack purchased at a different establishment.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM
dln

This post reminds me of years ago (decades ago, actually!) when I was a teenager visiting London for the first time alone. I sat in the park and was shocked when someone approached me and told me I had to pay for the seat if I wanted to stay there. Who'd have ever thought you had to rent seats in a public park? Not I.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:33 AM

After buying gelato in Vienna, we started to sit down at a table adjacent to the gelateria and were nicely told by a young woman the tables were reserved for another establishment. Who knew? It was steps away and we wrongly assumed we could sit there. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which tables belong to which cafe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -