Reload this Page >

Do not ask Fred ([email protected]) to e-mail you any information

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 02:32 AM
ww

This guy gives some advise on this forum and always ask people to e-mail him for more information. What he does not mention that he asks to send him $10.00 <BR>Sometimes someone here tells people to e-mail him or her for more information or a long trip report and I e-mailed three people for such information but this is a first time someone ask for money.

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:49 AM
s.fowler

Fred is one of the "bad boys" on this forum. He doesn't get it even after being warned. I have his email blocked now because of unsolicited email form him.

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Ursula

Sally hi! Who are the OTHER bad boys, please? ;-) <BR>Just curious.

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:15 AM
s.fowler

Now Ursula. You wouldn't want me to open my little black book work you? *GRIN* <BR> <BR>I was using it as a generic term for a person who doesn't obey the forum policies as set by Fodors -- other than the recent madness, Margo is the only other one that comes to mind -- well the london kids guy comes close... Please note I am NOT saying these folks will email you off forum. The recent focus of attention and Fred have been the only ones to do that to me in an objectionable fashion.

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Bob Brown

If I may be pardoned an editorial aside from some one who is on the user side of this forum, I have come to the conclusion that if Fodors is going to have Travel Talk, there needs to be a little more regulation and control. <BR>I am not talking about censorship; nor am I talking about suppressing what people have to say that is on the subject of travel, nor want to see curtailed comments to people who are making travel arrangements. And last of all I would hade to see any policy that would temper some of those side themes that are sometimes funny and sometimes thought provoking. <BR> <BR>It seems like that those of us who have the willingness to post under our true identities are the ones who receive the most unwanted material sent directly to our email accounts. It does not take long to block or to delete some of that stuff, but I think the hazards of Internet use could be minimized. <BR>I understand that the Forum is like peanuts on a bar. They cost money but they sell a lot of beer. In a similar vein, the Forum must have some utility to Fodors or the company would not continue it. <BR>Assigning someone to monitor Travel Talk is going to involve a salary expense, which is often 1.7 or more times the actual amount that the employee receives. There is always a burden factdor because of Social Security taxes, retirement plans, medical coverage, and a proportionate share of office rent and utilities. <BR> <BR>But on the other hand, if the amount of flack that we as users receive because of our participation reaches an intolerable limit, then we as individuals must take counter measures. That can range from giving false names, setting up separate email accounts for Fodors-like purposes, or simply quitting responding all together. <BR>Technically, Fodors systems programmers can tell where posts originate. It is possible under most computer operating systems to deny access when any one of several specific Internet addresses appears. This denial tactic can be gotten around, but if the systems guys are assidous enough in their efforts, a bothersome poster can be thwarted, or least have life made more difficult. <BR>Another ploy would be to have us sign up, have the system record our Internet address, and put us on an ALLOW list. That would have a downside in that people might not want to bother with that sort of procedure to use the forum. <BR>And it would limit us to always tuning in from the same computer and/or knowing a password. <BR> <BR>If a blocking polity, or a delete policy was adopted, Fodors would need to make some decisions about training someone for Forum monitoring. <BR>As I pointed out earlier, there are definitely some financial considerations involved in the amount of expense money the top brass is willing to devote to an operation that does not contribute directly to the company's bottom line -- namely earnings per share. (I am assuming that Fodors is capitalized; if not, then they have to look at return on investment.) <BR>The recent Rex affair and several other running little problems do detract from the use of the Forum. But ultimately considerations come down to these questions: 1) Is the nuisance factor sufficiently large to make us quit using the Forum? If is is, then Fodors needs to act. 2) Is the general nature of the Forum degrading to the point that it is no longer beneficial to Fodors? If the answer to either question become YES, then Fodors will be in a position of making a senior editorial decision: clean it up a little through more proactive supervision, or delete it entirely. <BR>I hope and pray it is not the latter choice.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Inky

I believe sally counts me as one of those 'bad' boys on this forum, heaven knows why though.

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:58 AM
s.fowler

Oh Inky..... not you ....never! &gt;&gt;wink&lt;&lt; <BR> <BR>Bob Brown has raised some good questions and discussed them thoughtfully. I, too, worry that Fodors will decide we're not the bother.

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:20 AM
jim

Calls for selective censorship are crap! It's amusing to read someone's "think" piece about what should be censored and what shouldn't be. Funny how most people come to the conclusion that what they like shouldn't be censored, and what they don't like should be cut. <BR>If that's your idea of heaven, move to mainland China.

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Bobbi

Not only is Fred's abuse of this forum appalling (re: the begging for $10), "Forget Fodors..." is emblazoned in red at the top of the first page. Shame on you Fred!

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:11 AM
Margaret

It is because of opportunists like Fred that so many post with phony names.

Old May 5th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Janie

It is because of Fred that we first time visitors were able to receive the very best information about Paris, far better than any other resource plus his personal answers to our questions. We're very happy we found him. I don't know what you're complaining about. If you don't like what he's doing, ignore it. Now those banner ads - they're really annoying.

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:10 AM
thatsenoughfred

Janie- <BR> <BR>I don't normally comment on negative threads, but I have to say that as a first time visitor you don't know all that Fred has done and people are just fed up so the comment about don't read if you don't like it isn't going to fly here. I asked a question about wanting to take pictures with a good but inexpensive camera, and not only did I get great responses from helpful individuals but also one from Fred advertising yet again for his website and his services. What this has to do with me sending him 10 bucks for advice on excursions in Paris I do not know. He has also posted onto threads about renting a villa in Italy telling people to ask him about Paris (huh?) as well as NUMEROUS other threads that have nothing to do with his supposed knowledge. Enough is enough. <BR> <BR>-tcc

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Christina

Fred spends a lot of time advertising on numerous travel forums all over the internet, he is one busy little bee--I've seen him on at least four. I think he logs onto the computer in the morning and just thinks, well I will go to 5 travel forums, post vague and short responses to whatever posts I can find about Paris so I can then solicit business; he just allocates a certain amount of time a day to advertising. I don't even think much of his supposed knowledge or comments (not to mention the ego of his home page), he makes erroneous statements and is not interested in discussing travel or helping people, that is quite obvious from his posts which are vague and pointless, most of the time, and of little value (for example, one person asks about typical weather in Paris in May, Fred makes the brilliant response along the lines of "weather in Paris is changeable. It will be mild." Well, that's real helpful. Another one of his pieces of advice on another forum was that non-smoking hotel rooms don't exist in Paris. (wrong!)Interestingly, he is well-known on AOL and is not allowed to do there what he does on Fodors and other forums -- I think AOL's posting standards regard constant tag lines of "e-mail me for further information" as advertising and it is not allowed, so he can't get away with it on AOL. Too bad Fodors does not have such standards. I can't imagine why anyone would want his homemade guide for $10 instead of getting a good one (both in quality, content, comprehensiveness and form) for only a few dollars more. Actually, even though Margo irritated me a little bit because she was obviously advertising (she never participated in any discussions), I found her more acceptable as she did post useful factual information and USUALLY (but not always) did not even say email me or push her book - it was left to your imagination to email her if you wished. Unfortunately, as is often the case with people soliciting business, she got a little out of bounds eventually and then did start pushing her book verbally in her posts. That was when I complained to Fodors about her. I don't know if she just got tired of posting her book clips (which I thought was sort of pathetic in a way that a guidebook author was reduced to spending their time clipping and pasting on internet forums to sell books) or what; Frommers actually allows advertising, I think, and she got tired of posting over there after a while. Janie's opinion of Fred's great advice is hers (alone), but she should be aware that advertising is not allowed on this forum and it's not her position to think she can rewrite standards. Can you imagine what this forums would consist of if advertising were allowed? Well, if you ever used to visit usenet forums, you would know.

Old May 5th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Don't havea meltdown

Chris, <BR>I think you need to chill out and not worry so much about Fred making a few pennies for all the research and experience he is offering to newbies going to Paris... There are a few folks on the France AOl board that push their vacation rentals for FREE on aol boards.........They think they are being SLICK by using a alias ASKING about renting a place in Blah , blah and low and behold they respond using another alias that DIRECTS them to THEIR own rental or B&B. <BR> I personaly could care less if they are getting a free advert..Who cares? Will your life get any better if Fred do esn't make a dime off his guide? <BR>Get off your soapbox and take a cold shower.........I see the vein pulsing in your neck!

Old May 5th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Dixie

Janie: Fred's guide is full of inaccuracies and outdated information. He takes the same trip to Paris over and over, but hasn't set foot at any sights or attractions or gone inside a museum in many years. Perhaps he's trying to compete with Rick Steves. Just wondering - did you send him $10?

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Bob

Fred is a complete oppurtunist whop uses <BR>his repetitive trips to Paris as a guide for all-first-timers. I don't mind that he recommends place that he likes (even if they are the same touristy, non-michelin traps)..everyone is entitled to his opininon. But he deems himself worthy of posting a guide, he is taking on a moral role of a <BR>sage for peole visiting Paris for their <BR>premiere visite. I would be horrified to tkink of all the poor, unenlightened, naive people who use this stupid guide instead of buying a decent non-subjective guide like "The paris Access Guide". he has barely been to any new restaurants worthy of notice..he goes to the same old places. he even asks you to give a coupon to the owners at Cote Seine, a restaurant that was a decent, albeit, <BR>nothing special bistrot, until Fred decided this was Tailleavant on the seine. I suppose they pay him back by filling the restaurant with tons of Americans by letting him eat free every night. How reckless to describe your guide as a resource for visiters...why..I've been to Chicago ten times..I go to the same business hotel and I've seen the museums and walked along lake Michigan and tried a dozen restaurants.....Bantam books ...where are you???????? I've got a best seller!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR>Sick of his slick way of defending himself too. Can we do anything? I know he caused quite a bruhaha over on the french board several years ago. <BR>Bob

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Gigi

Bob,wouldoupleasetellmewherethe Frenchboardis?Ihaveheardabouttheseotherboardsandno tfoundthe.Sorryabouttheprintbutm spacebarandletterbeforezisnotworking. <BR>Thankou, <BR>Gigi <BR>Anyideasonhowtomakethiswork?Thanks!

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Gigi

Bob,mcomputerisn'tworking...itwillnotallowmetouset hespacebarortheletterbeforez.Sorr.(Help!)Mquestion is,wherecanifindtheFrenchboard.Ihaveseenreferencet othisbefore.Thankou! <BR>Gigi <BR>Anideasonhowtogetthistowork?Thanks!

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Gigi

M.first.post.didn't.show.up.then.it.did! <BR>Sometimes.the.y.works.and.then.it.doesn't. <BR>The.spacebar.doesn't.work.at.all. <BR>This.is.really.dumb. <BR>It.is.a.new.laptop. <BR>Is.this.common? <BR>Any.help.out.there? <BR>Thanks! <BR>Gigi

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:30 PM
NotAnIdiot

I don't usually comment on negative trash threads (and, no, it isn't my "real" email name but so what). <BR> <BR>These sorts of threads designed to attack any one poster are very offensive. <BR> <BR>What is your beef? That Fred asks $10 for his guide? I bet almost no one pays and he continues to be kind and give free information to people--unlike the attack mafia (using aliases) that hates him from the AOL boards because he is not vicious as they are. <BR> <BR>Oh, you feel sorry because people use his guide and you don't like Cote Seine and he does (and Fred has never said it was "Taillevant along the Seine"). Many people have found Fred's guide helpful--together with other information. So, because people like him and he has a successful personality on the boards, those who have not been as successful and believe they have a right to control the content of the boards--and push off anyone who does not suck up to them--carry on this really stupid vendetta. <BR> <BR>And, that is all I am going to say. We all know who is behind this--no matter how many different aliases you use in your attacks. <BR> <BR>And then, all of you who attack Fred go off and advertise your vacation rental homes and antiques tours that never take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -