Do I take a video camera to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave for our 2 week Venice/Florence/Rome trip which includes 2 day trips into the hilltowns of Tuscany in 3 1/2 weeks. I like to take pictures and video when we travel, but am an auto-control type of photographer, not a pro. I am taking my very compact digital camera, which I find easy to use, and which also takes decent video. I was planning on buying a new, very compact camcorder (having given my existing one to my college student daughter to use at school). But as I go through the agonies of trying to pack light, I am thinking that I should forget the video camera, and just use my digital camera instead. To make this practical, I would buy a few extra SD cards to hold the videos, since they use up so much space. What have the rest of you done? And what size memory cards should I buy to hold the video? Costco has a special - 3 HP cards, each 2 GB, for $40.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Any photographers/videographers out there who can answer this question?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM

why not take the video camera if you enjoy watching the videos later? I have some from trips of 20 years ago and at times the family gets together and has a kick out of watching them.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I would agree with SeaUrchin, (not just because I love her screenname). IF you watch them at home later through the years, I would bring it. Unfortunately I didn't bring one on my trip to France and Italy because I thought it would be too cumbersome. But once I was there I totally regretted not having it! I did take tons of pictures but I wish I had both.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:20 PM

ditto here love2sing. I was packed and had way too much stuff - was bursting at the seams and ended up leaving it behind. I regretted it on the trip.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
rex

Considering that there are now camcorders scarcely bigger than an iPod, I don't see how it conflicts that much with packing light.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

So you don't think I can get away with the video feature on my digital camera? It would be easier on our walks through the cities to just carry one camera instead of a camera plus a camcorder. Especially since I imagine that having one in the backpack is an invitation to losing it to a thief. It's just me doing the photos/videos - my DH doesn't usually do it, so it's not like he would do one while I did the other.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM

It sounds like you don't want to take both, so I suppose you shouldn't.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM

If I had had a camcorder for my honeymoon to Europe, I would have left all my clothes just to bring it... well, just brought ONE pair of shoes! lol Bring it, you will never regret having access to those kind of fantastic memories!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM

butnotrmpt- the question is, for how long will your camera actually video? My camera does video, but it is limited to 30 seconds. You should check that out.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Like Rex says, the new camcorders are very small. I've taken a much bigger 8mm vcr to Europe and have great memories. The background sound and/or your commentary comes in with a camcorder. I'm thinking of buying the Canon HG10 AVCHD 40GB High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom for my trip next month. Does anyone have experience with it?
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM

butnotrmpt: <i>So you don't think I can get away with the video feature on my digital camera?</i>

Depends on the size (pixels) at which it shoots video at. My Canon SD750 digital camera does only 640x480, which may not look great when you play it on TV but is just fine if you are going to send YouTube-type videos to friends, etc. (which is what I did with the videos I shot with it in Italy last fall).

I guess you can answer this question easily yourself: shoot some video with your existing digicam. Is the quality good enough on TV? If not - and you want to view your Italy videos on TV - then you need to get a camcorder.

By the way, the cost of 2GB SD cards is dropping through the floor. I'm seeing them on special (no-name brands) for under $20, even under $10. I'd probably get 4GB cards (make sure your camera can handle them first!) at this point, just because video eats up space quickly. Getting an extra battery might not be a bad idea, either, if your camera takes a custom battery as my SD750 did.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I brought my video camcorder to Italy and was so happy that I did. After the trip, I edited and added features and made a &quot;movie&quot; which I copied for my traveling companions.

Fortunately, one of my companions brought her digital camera, so we split the responsibility.

However, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I carry either camera in a backpack. I had a nice-sized bag which I carried cross-wise over my shoulder with the camera zippered inside securely when not in use. I was pickpocketed in Rome (fortunately was prepared and did not lose anything of value) so I know it does happen.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM

P.S. I actually caught the pickpocketing episode on my video and the pickpocket herself as she was making her getaway. It's the funniest part of my movie.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM

For Christmas I got a &quot;Flip&quot; Video camera by Pure Digital that I plan on taking to Europe in September. You can check it out at www.theflip.com. It is smaller than a camera, has a USB port attached to it so you can download directly to a computer and comes in two gigabyte sizes (don't remember them).

Have fun.

Lulu
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Sarge 56 - I know I have taken more than 2 minutes of video at a time - I think my limitations have to do with the size of the memory card more than anything else. At a big party, my 1 GB SD card was full after about 6 - 10 minutes of video and a bunch of pictures. The video was surprisingly decent, considering that it was done on a small digital camera, and the audio wasn't bad either.

Seaurchin is right - I really would like to just stick with my camera and have one less thing to deal with, especially since I already know how to use it. But I am keeping an open mind, checking out camcorders on line and as I shop, looking for something good that is $400 or less.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

I have not regretted bringing a camcorder on trips. The thing that really does it for me more than the video is the audio. I really enjoy hearing the ambient sounds of the the streets, markets, church bells, trams going by,and those funny Italian ambulance sirens.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM

I have always taken a hand held video cam of some sort with me for the past 7 years. I hate to admit -but I only occasionally watch the videos. Why? Not sure. It's easier to flip through digital photographs. I enjoy the video in a different way than photographs - it's a totally different feel. Good photographs still have more umphh than video.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM

butnotrmpt, remember, too, that you may not need to buy that many cards. If you get free internet at any of your hotels (or even stopping into a cafe) you should be able to upload them to a personal photo website like Shutterfly. Remove them from the card and you will have plenty of room. My daughter did this on our recent trip to France/Italy. Every night, the first thing she did was go through all the pics and dump the duplicates or bad shots. Then she'd head out to the free computer in our hotel lobby and upload them. Clean card in the a.m.

We did not have video, but truthfully, it is kind of fun recalling our conversation, etc. Plus, I did a trip report for this site, which (I have to say) makes an excellent &quot;reminder&quot; of our trip to go with the photos!

Have fun!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM

PS Uploading them every day or two also reduced her stress level over losing the cards (or getting pickpocketed or robbed) and, thus, all our vacation photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -