Reload this Page >

Do I need to take Euros to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:26 AM
mmh

Can I use my debit or credit cards for most restaurants and shops in Italy or do I need to have Euros? Last year in Lech, Austria we discovered that our hotel and many restaurants would not accept cards.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Rex

Sure you'll want some. Get them ther. ATM or from a bank, buying with your own currency.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Amy

I just got back from Rome and it is very easy to just use your cash card. The conversion rate is fine doing this and it is so easy. FYI on credit card usage-different companies charge different amounts in the conversion process. I used Citibank Visa. I was upset to find out, after the fact, that after they convert your purchase to US dollars, VISA adds 1% to the total. Then, Citibank adds another 2% to that new total. I heard that AMEX does not do this, you might want to check it out.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Bob Brown

Watch out for those banks that add an extra 2% fee onto credit card purchases.<BR>There have been several discussions on that topic and at various times some cntributor listed the banks who added on the 2%.<BR><BR>I have recently acquired a credit card from AAA, issued by MBNA, for use outside of the USA because my two present credit card issuers now charge that odious 2%. (The two are Bank of America and Wachovia.)The extra 2% to me is tantamount to picking my pocket. The law in this case makes me a victim!! <BR><BR>On a typical European trip, this extra 2% is not going to push me over the edge of bankruptcy, but the whole idea is simply one of price gouging. The 2% converts to pure profit for the banks because Visa or Master Charge has already added 1% to the exchange rate and converted the bill to US dollars.<BR>The bank is taking 2% for doing nothing.<BR>I don't see that there is any value added to justify the charge. (Sure the banks will claim all kinds of expenses to justify the 2%. I have several expletives in response. But the easiest thing to do is to find out who does not add on the conversion charge, and use a credit card from that issuer.)<BR> <BR>I never objected to that practice followed by Visa and Master Card of adding on 1% because the facts of life are that you pay for exchanging money. That is a time honored practice, and one that has always been abused. (Seems like the Bible describes an incident involving Jesus and the money changers.) <BR>At least the Visa/MC rate was based on the bank wholesale rate of exchange, which was the best rate we as little traders could possibly get. <BR> <BR>Generally speaking, I think you need to be prepared to pay cash in Europe more than you do in the USA. For example, paying a grocery store bill with a personal check is something I have never seen in Europe. Some of the time we were able to use our credit card at a grocery store, but cash payments were the most common. <BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ken

I'll say it again and some smart ass always flames me for it, but I get the native currency sent to me in advance and pay just as much as I can in cash where ever I go. I only use a credit card for things that I absolutely have to like car rental, etc. At least I know up front the exchange rate and there are no hidden fees. Yes you should take plastic as a back up. I know may so-called experts in this forum will tell you that ATM are the ONLY way to go, but I can't help remembring the line of people trying to use the ATM at Gatwick last year on our arrival, plus the number of hand scribbled "out of order" signs we saw on ATM's around the city. There is no way I would rely on just credit or debit cards.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:26 AM
richard

Take some Euros at first for no other reason than being familiar with the bills and particularly the coins which take some close looking at to get familiar with. Saves fumbling at the register and makes you feel like an old pro. Cash advances are incredibly easy-15 sec.- and machines are all over, at least in Rome. We brought back most of our travelers checks-really cost to cash them. And dont forget the emergency cancillation number for lost/stole cards-mine disappeared and I was sure it woud never happen to me. I was keeping it separate from my wallet and it must have come out with pocket paper. I doubt it was lifted as I really was aware around crowds and nothing had been charged in the 12 hrs. before cancillation. If you have to call stateside get a new phone card with full time on it from a tabbaci shop(large T sign) as you will probably spend some time figuring out getting your call through. You have to dial 001 for the states and then the 800 no.<BR>But using Euros was so much like dollars and probably easier for us than some of the merchants.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:27 AM
richard

Take some Euros at first for no other reason than being familiar with the bills and particularly the coins which take some close looking at to get familiar with. Saves fumbling at the register and makes you feel like an old pro. Cash advances are incredibly easy-15 sec.- and machines are all over, at least in Rome. We brought back most of our travelers checks-really cost to cash them. And dont forget the emergency cancillation number for lost/stole cards-mine disappeared and I was sure it woud never happen to me. I was keeping it separate from my wallet and it must have come out with pocket paper. I doubt it was lifted as I really was aware around crowds and nothing had been charged in the 12 hrs. before cancillation. If you have to call stateside get a new phone card with full time on it from a tabbaci shop(large T sign) as you will probably spend some time figuring out getting your call through. You have to dial 001 for the states and then the 800 no.<BR>But using Euros was so much like dollars and probably easier for us than some of the merchants.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:16 AM
dave

I have heard that you should use your credit card for EVERYTHING that you can. THe rate you get is so good that you don't even notice the extra 2%.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:30 PM
toppin'

toppin' off my wallet...<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:32 PM
elizabeth

No, just got back and the credit card, debit system of payment is super. Every place (Venice, Florence, Lucca, Siena) took either or and it was no problem.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Mary Deane

Do not assume that everywhere in Italy will take credit cards because they won't. On a trip to Sicily last year we were caught out a couple of times and not just for small purchases. There were a number of nice restaurants we had to pass by because they didn't take credit cards.